Silver Streak or Thunder Jet

Hagar

I am looking to trade my 17ft. Double Eagle for either a 18ft. SS or a 18.5 Thunder Jet. I'm looking at the 18 Carmanah or the 18.5 Thunder Jet. Most of my fishing is in the Ucluelet area in the summer and would also be using the boat in the Victoria area the rest of the year. Price wise the SS would be a little more but it comes with a 115 Yam. the TH has a 90 Yam. The TH is more finished but to me the SS seemed more solid. With the SS you can add options before purchasing, the TH comes as it is but you can upgrade the power if you want. There also seems to be more room at the back in the SS but is 7-2 in the beam whereas the TH is 8ft. I"m thinking it would be worth the sacrifice. I am leaning towards the SS but thought that I would ask for opinions here . Also one of the options I was considering was painting the inner side walls it is a pricey option at 2000.00 and now am reconsidering that, and instead maybe getting other options instead. Anybody with thoughts on which would be a better option would be appreciated.

me thinks a lot of guys will want your 17' Double Eagle.
Make sure which ever you move up to that you get at least a 115, 90 is underpowered in my opinion

I am by no means an aluminum boat fan, but having recently rode in a silver streak I am pretty impressed with the quality and how solid it is.

Personally I wouldn't buy a thunder jet after looking at them at the last couple of boat shows.

SS does great fabrication and their marine electrical is superior to a lot of other boats out there. My 18 foot aluminum has a yami 115 and it is a great match. It only takes an extra effort to get on step with 4 big guys on board and grunts a little bit when climbing swells on the way back from Swiftsure. On the other hand if the 90 is the same block as the 115, and you mostly fish 3 people under 200 each it will likely be fine.

I would recommend thunder jet i own a 20 ft Chinook ob/ os with full transom and love it there are minor issues i have fixed but overall boat has been great, and for people that say aluminum boats are ruff i do not think they have road in the new ones just saying.

Had my SilverStreak since 2004. Solid, tough, well designed, well built boat. They've been in the business for 30 building west coast boats. They know what they are doing.

Don't bother with painting, it eventually will wear off like all paint and repainting aluminum is a lot of work and is expensive. Waste of time in my opinion as one of the strengths of a aluminum boat is the low maintenance. My 2 bits.

I own a ThunderJet but I drove a comparable SilverStreak. Both great boats but in the end it came down to two things. I preferred the way the TJ rode and handled, and the TJ was nicer in terms of fit and finish.

On the Explorer 186' the 90 is marginal. Honestly, I think it would be a good decision to go with the 115.

The decision should be made only after driving both. Go for your sea trial with a few people so you can approximate the load you will typically have. You can definitely feel the difference made by bringing along a couple mates and their beer. Buy the boat that FEELS right.

Consider the Kingfisher into your options over a TJ. Much better ride and more efficient hull. Built in BC with a great factory warranty and customer support. Built in a state of the art facility..... Go take a tour and custom order. Don't take my word for it go sea test a KF and a TJ side by side and you will see the difference immediately. TJ improved there hulls a couples times the last few years but still have room for improvement.

FS

Iv got a year old 17' SS with an 08 yammy 90hp on it. 115 would be nice but 90 has no problem out of the hole or taking me to cruise at 26kn loaded. Ride is better than i had expected in chop. Customized a few things during fabrication with no issues. Love the boat.

I have owned both a thunder jet and a SS. I would by a 18' carmanah with a 115 mercury CT if I was going to do it again. Get a quote from
Inlet marine that's who I bought from and they were excellent to deal with!!!

Hagar you are in the position I was in last year and we ended up going with the Thunderjet and I could not be happier. There is no doubt that the SS is a very solid boat but EVERYTHING costs extra. I have a wife and kids who are in the boat with me often and there are some finishings and looks in the TJ that are not the same in the SS. In addition I am 6'4" and the canvass is tall enough for me to walk in and out without hitting my head, there was no other aluminum in that size range (Hewes, Raider, SS) that we looked that where that was possible. Add to that the the 8' beam which really makes a difference and I chose TJ. I had them upgrade the engine to a 115 for no charge so the engine is decent.

We have used the boat for a lot of fishing including in some very snotty conditions and it handled extremely well. The boat I had before this was a 2004 21' Monaro hardtop and while the power was more in that boat and it road differently the TJ is very very good for its size.

Goodluck in your decision, you can't go wrong either way but I would go TJ.

I have owned both a thunder jet and a SS. I would by a 18' carmanah with a 115 mercury CT if I was going to do it again. Get a quote from
Inlet marine that's who I bought from and they were excellent to deal with!!!

Did you buy the 18 ft?

Hagar you are in the position I was in last year and we ended up going with the Thunderjet and I could not be happier. There is no doubt that the SS is a very solid boat but EVERYTHING costs extra. I have a wife and kids who are in the boat with me often and there are some finishings and looks in the TJ that are not the same in the SS. In addition I am 6'4" and the canvass is tall enough for me to walk in and out without hitting my head, there was no other aluminum in that size range (Hewes, Raider, SS) that we looked that where that was possible. Add to that the the 8' beam which really makes a difference and I chose TJ. I had them upgrade the engine to a 115 for no charge so the engine is decent.

We have used the boat for a lot of fishing including in some very snotty conditions and it handled extremely well. The boat I had before this was a 2004 21' Monaro hardtop and while the power was more in that boat and it road differently the TJ is very very good for its size.

Goodluck in your decision, you can't go wrong either way but I would go TJ.

You are right that everything is extra on the SS and the Thunder Jet is finished nicer and a bit wider although there seemed more room from the seats to the stern where you would be fishing from in the SS. I just felt that the SS seemed a bit more solid The canvass seemed the same to me it is usually just the wife and me in the boat. My friend has a Thunder Jet and I will go out with him for a test run before I decide. It also depends up to a point on where I can get the most money for my trade What size TJ did you buy?

I owned a 20 TJ chinook

And a 18 SS challenger

The TJ top is made of top gun and is bit taller then the SS. The SS top is made of sunbrella.

I like the 18' carmanah because it's small light and tough. The SS is built better but the TJ is finished better. If your going to buy a TJ I would go with the chinook.

Thunderjet
Cons
Plywood covered vinyl flooring will rot in about 10-15 years and have to be replaced
Some models have Carpeted gunnels - hold fish blood and dirt

Silver streak
Pros
All aluminum construction - no plywood or vinyl in their boats
no carpet to keep clean

Paint as little as possible. Once you scratch it you will thank me.

Does anyone else think some of the Thunderjets look kinda cheesy with the all the weird paint colours and checkerplate?

Back