2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

On my way tomorrow with my wife and two boys also for the first time. Good news is my sons only care if there is fishing off the docks. I hope the past two commie openings have left us some fun. Will report back with results. Will be there from sat noonish through tue and have more gear then brains ready to go. I am sure we'll bump into any of you with kids outta moucha.

On my way tomorrow with my wife and two boys also for the first time. Good news is my sons only care if there is fishing off the docks. I hope the past two commie openings have left us some fun. Will report back with results. Will be there from sat noonish through tue and have more gear then brains ready to go. I am sure we'll bump into any of you with kids outta moucha.

Good on you for getting the family involved==especially the kids!!

Sorry, can someone point me in the right direction for the new post on the processor thread? I have limited internet access and had a look with no luck.

Thanks

Just back from three days fishing mainly Beano and Bajo. SLOW is the only way to say it. Ended up with couple fish each day but smaller size. One 28. Put in long days and also Hali fished a lot. That two was slow only getting two chickens for hours of effort. Finally pulled the plug Sat and moved to Bamfield Sat night. Fishing there was good! 9 springs largest 25, 3 nice coho. Wish I would have went here instead of Nootka. Leaving boat in Bamfield till end on the season.

Damm.... Was hoping for better, on my way next week. Hali always tapers off at end of season.

Anyone heard the rumor at Rodgers this year... Bankrupt and filed, but operating

Fished August 10 - 14 out of Moucha Bay.

First day was a rain out, second day was a fish hunt on all the usual spots with no success. Came back into the Bay and saw boats at the Canuma River. Went over and Springs were sounding all over the place, in groups of up to 20! Needless to say, they were getting dark and hard to catch, but did manage a few to the boat.

One boat had the strategy of casting a Buzz Bomb from the bow while trolling whenever they saw a group of fish breaking the surface. Surprisingly, they did hook a fair number. They did get some on the troll as well with a white hootchie.

Clear that a lot of the barbs were not flattened, as fish that were on the surface were ending up in the net despite some pretty horrid netting jobs. DFO did come out on the 14th before the commercial opening and were checking everybody. Some tickets given and some gear seized.

I wish I had some Sting Zeldas in my box. One boat was doing well on the Zeldas where the buzz bombs and zingers were not very effective.
Luckily I did have some buzz bombs and zingers at least, but I have not jigged Salmon since 1994 when we quit going to Qualicum Beach and fished the big and little Q.

Fish were starting to go black, Fish were rather docile and not feeding, Fish had jaws starting to hook.

There were two openings for Gill Netters in the bay before the 10th and on the 15th. No idea of how they were doing, but there were a lot of Gill Netters set up.

However, other than at the river mouth, the fishing had slowed down a lot.

Til next year ...

Drewski

Anyone fished the area in September?I never have but I would like to give it a try.I imagine its very quiet in terms of people around but maybe some fishing to be had???

Be up there for long weekend and again for couple weeks after.
Rumor has it the Coho are doing well, leader board changed at westview..... 14.5

Fished August 10 - 14 out of Moucha Bay.

First day was a rain out, second day was a fish hunt on all the usual spots with no success. Came back into the Bay and saw boats at the Canuma River. Went over and Springs were sounding all over the place, in groups of up to 20! Needless to say, they were getting dark and hard to catch, but did manage a few to the boat.

One boat had the strategy of casting a Buzz Bomb from the bow while trolling whenever they saw a group of fish breaking the surface. Surprisingly, they did hook a fair number. They did get some on the troll as well with a white hootchie.

Clear that a lot of the barbs were not flattened, as fish that were on the surface were ending up in the net despite some pretty horrid netting jobs. DFO did come out on the 14th before the commercial opening and were checking everybody. Some tickets given and some gear seized.

I wish I had some Sting Zeldas in my box. One boat was doing well on the Zeldas where the buzz bombs and zingers were not very effective.
Luckily I did have some buzz bombs and zingers at least, but I have not jigged Salmon since 1994 when we quit going to Qualicum Beach and fished the big and little Q.

Fish were starting to go black, Fish were rather docile and not feeding, Fish had jaws starting to hook.

There were two openings for Gill Netters in the bay before the 10th and on the 15th. No idea of how they were doing, but there were a lot of Gill Netters set up.

However, other than at the river mouth, the fishing had slowed down a lot.

Til next year ...

Drewski
Nothing like beating up on the spawners in the river mouth to have a quality experience

Not my choice to go after the fish stacked up in the bay, would rather have met them a week earlier, but all the fish, both chrome and black, were in the bay.

There was a second later release of Springs from the Canuma River Hatchery that had not yet returned by the middle of August, so it may be that a second wave are on their way. As for the Coho, from other people who had gone the September long weekend, the Coho often are still outside, and don't get into the Sound until the first two weeks of September. Moutcha Bay has derby mid September for the Coho though, so the fish should be there by then.

Hitting them at the river mouth is really no different than the Skeena and Fraser fishermen targeting the Springs in the river itself. Fish are a lot worse quality at that point, but still being sought by the fishermen.

Drewski

Fishing at Burdwood has been good but slow inside.

Had a good day offshore.

It's like a ghost town out here now. Fished Camel and got two last night with one other boat.

Back