2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Fished Macaulay from 6:30 - 11am today. Glassy, no wind and lots of bait. I had the place to myself for 3 hours but nothing. Some jiggers in the harbour mouth nailed a nice one only to have Scruffy steal it away. Quite a few boats showed up after 9 but I only saw one pink caught all morning. Dead slow for mid August.

They must be on the way. We are whacking them good now. Lots of clipped fish

that's better.

Lost a couple nice fish, either side of the whale show in the gap,one that jumped repeatedly on the other side of the boat :) missed two or three other mentionable hits.
Nice morning. What a place to play we have eh.

Hey there... just a quick question as to where "the Gap" is? I'm in town on vacation and planned on fishing Sooke but due to weather am fishing out of Victoria. Thanks!

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm trying to get my mom on fish for her birthday tomorrow... she's not into braving the 20 kt winds around Sooke... looking for something a bit mellower for a 72 year old. Tried the waterfront on Friday morning for a couple of hours and it seemed really quiet, as I only saw one fish boated between all the boats there.

Last edited:
Yeah I know... Victoria area is my best option at this point. Been watching the weather for the past couple of days. Bummer that the weather is bad this weekend... made plans a while ago.

Was actually thinking we'd find some pinks but no luck. I was surprised. In years past, I've got bucket loads of them out front of Victoria.

Yeah I know... Victoria area is my best option at this point. Been watching the weather for the past couple of days. Bummer that the weather is bad this weekend... made plans a while ago.

Was actually thinking we'd find some pinks but no luck. I was surprised. In years past, I've got bucket loads of them out front of Victoria.
Hi Dave
I am habberdasher aka Arima Tom just kidding but treated myself to a old hunter that I brought up from Oregon
I watch Big Wave Dave website and weather wise sidney might be an option however their thread has been quiet so I have no idea how the fishing is?
They have a great ramp .
If fishing isn't good you can always take Mom shopping and for lunch as Sidney is a great place for both .
Sometimes the gap can be sheltered and productive it's just inside Chatam and Discovery islands close to Cattle point ramp
Tight Lines
Tom

I walked the esquimalt waterfront this morning - LOTS of boats fishing off Maccully. Anyone heard if some fish have showed up?

Fish on waterfront today. Took a 12 # off the breakwater at 7:30, 55 ft deep, clear teaser head with green stripe. Broke the teaser head when bonking the fish. :-( Took a 20 # at 8:30 off Macauley, 65 ft deep, army truck teaser head. Using Betsy Gold flashers both sides. Saw at least two other fish taken, and I know three other boats had springs aboard by 11 am. I know a few springs and pinks came in off of Clover Point, too, this morning.

Things are looking up, and my week of vacation is over. Sigh.

Last edited:
Back