2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

So I'm out front tonight lots of coho 3 to the boat 1 keeper good size but highlight of the night was when my rocket launcher broke right
Off with my titan trophy rod and a MR2
I pull it in to neutral pull up the down rigger and luckily the line is still on the release clip and I managed to pull my rod & reel back up
Holly **** that would sucked to loose that
So all in all a good night

So I'm out front tonight lots of coho 3 to the boat 1 keeper good size but highlight of the night was when my rocket launcher broke right
I pull it in to neutral pull up the down rigger and luckily the line is still on the release clip and I managed to pull my rod & reel back up
Makes me think of taking them off and going back to reg Scotty rod holders

My worst nightmare!! Always pictured that happening, and the way you retired the rod is exactly what I had in my mind. Glad it turned out.... Lucky!!

I lost a brand new higher end rod and reel a year ago when my Scotty rocket holder snapped off too. Scotty wouldn't replace my gear however they sent a pile of new rocket holders and a bunch of other goodies.

They implied they knew older ones may have issues. I guess the plastic from early versions give out from time to time. The improved ones supposedly are ok, I just haven't got the confidence to use them.

I have the same set up but a MR3 reel. Nothing like almost loosing a $600 reel with a $200 rod lol.. Glad you got it back..

A couple nice ones from Wednesday. Definitely agree things have slowed down this week, only action im seeing is before 7am down deep on the north hump.

Attachments

• 02 082017.jpg
    02 082017.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 100
good job you must have had a good man on the net !!

Yeah had a pretty seasoned master netter lol. Don't know who was more excited I think we both just about had multiple heart attacks last weekend lol Epic weekend with ya lordofthesprings and world class fishing, and for us to land 4 Monsters too! UNreal!! I'm glad your netting skills were finely honed in!!

Out tonight. Managed an 18lb hatch spring 2 hatch hoes all on anchovies down the bottom in 200ft and 1 hatch hoe on no bananas at 160ft. Also hooked 3 dog dish on anchovies.

Wow has it ever died out there this week! 2 decent hatchery coho for us today, but not one keeper spring. If you like 8" salmon it's on fire though, we boated about 20 today haha. Anyone do any better today? Weather report was also way off the mark, stating wind was light as I was bow into 25knot wind and 3-4 foot slop haha.

hmm thats too bad did you try for pinks ? in heading out soon the derby is on out there starting friday-sat-sun

Last edited:
French Creek Derby weekend and .....the site is almost "crickets" other than the posts from Tains and CS yesterday. I can't report as I haven't been fishing locally. So to start the conversation any fish at the Qualicums...how is Schooner Cove or anything over at Lasquiti? Hope to see a good turnout to support the Marion Baker hatchery through the derby. Good weather and good luck to all of you fishing in Area 14 as part of the derby.

French Creek Derby weekend and .....the site is almost "crickets" other than the posts from Tains and CS yesterday. I can't report as I haven't been fishing locally. So to start the conversation any fish at the Qualicums...how is Schooner Cove or anything over at Lasquiti? Hope to see a good turnout to support the Marion Baker hatchery through the derby. Good weather and good luck to all of you fishing in Area 14 as part of the derby.

Fishing at Ballenas, Sangster, Cottam and Gerald has been very slow. Lots of undersize fish but not much in the way of keepers. Hopefully there is a wave of fish coming down as per Coyotespoon's report.

Hit and miss for us so far. Had an ok night bite last night in front of the harbor, 10, 12 and 18 right at dusk. Lots of shakers this morning and no keepers for us.

Back