put it neutral or keep trolling?

sly_karma

Crew Member
Lots of good discussion in the "Please educate us" thread, and there were a couple of mentions of what to do when you're fishing a crowded area and you get a fish on. I believe the right thing to do is to steer out of the lineup to fight the fish, and let the other boats continue on the pattern. After that, there are varying thoughts on the right thing, they generally come down to putting the boat in neutral, or keeping on trolling.

My belief is it's usually better to keep the engine in gear so you have steerage way to maneuver out of the busy area, and also the possibility of a second hookup. The boat can be turned a little to bring the fish in where it's easiest - over the aft quarter. If the fish isn't very large and the downrigger gear is reasonably deep, say 80 ft or more, I think it's OK to leave the second downrigger down whilst the fish is landed.

Things change if fishing shallow or if it's clear that a serious fish has been hooked. Then it's time to get the second rod and downrigger up and the ball out of the water. Even then I still prefer to keep the engine in gear until the fish is close to the boat.

I've chartered a fair bit over the years and I've seen lots of different practices in my travels. Should there be a hard and fast policy here, or is it really a case of "it depends"?

Fresh or salt water, I always troll out of the pack. Rarely shift into neutral unless fish is a monster. Some people land a fish in minutes others can take forever. Common courtesy says move out of the way so others can continue fishing

Try and get out of the pack if you can and one thing to consider if you put it in neutral this creates slack in the line and possible can result in a fish getting off. This happens all the time to me so when I have a fish on I will instruct driver to slow down when I feel like I have good control of the fish. We never pop it right into neutral anymore we gradually slow it down especially if it is a big fish. If the fish are small we don't even bother slowing down.

not only do i keep it in gear, i will give it gas to help keep the tension on a fish that is turning and running at me. if i have room i will put the boat in nuetral, and pull in one of the riggers when the flasher breaks the surface of the water, and the fish is tired out. I'll turn the boat to aid the netter.
Lots of discussion on the Nootka thread about this not long ago. Lots of guys were of the opinion that you need to control your fish. I get what they are saying, but I'm not quite sure how you "control" a 25 + wild Conuma chinook that is screaming out 100 + yards of line in a crowd of boats.....plus if you put your boat in nuetral in a pack of boats , your boat now is drifting and spinning aimlessly like a slow motion wrecking ball , especially if the area is tidal. Have seen many a close call ( especially sockeye fishing Browns bay area ) where a boat in neutral impedes the manoeuvrability of three or four boats around it , causing a very dangerous situation for all in proximity.I mainly fish CR area where there is more than enough room to let a good fish run out a bit. i'm falling more and more out of love with the Nootka crowds and the gong show that is now always present...

Depends on a ton of variables but I don't put in neutral right away.

Are you trolling with the tide or against when fish hits? How hard is the tide pushing?
If trolling with then you can get to neutral faster because you are drifting away from the fish that is behind you.
If trolling against, you can't go to neutral or you will drift right at the fish behind you and line will slack. Gotta turn the boat so you will drift away from the fish before you hit neutral.

Who's playing the fish?
From guiding I learned to help the rookie playing the fish by using the motor to take up slack or take pressure off the fish or put the fish where I want it. With more experienced fisherman I let them tell me what they need.

Short version... I keep it in gear till its time to take it out of gear ; )

Tips

I keep it in gear. With barbless hooks it increases your chances of getting the fish to the net. You maintain steerage and don't become an impedance to the other on the same tack. Of course, for big fish, all bets are off. sometimes you can't make much headway on the big ones when you're in gear.

all this being said, it's been so long since I caught a decent fish that I'm not sure I can really remember what I do!

Too many variables, each situation is pretty different. Solo or not. If its a hog and your chasing it down to not get spooled. Wind. Crowds. Tide. Geographic location and obstacles.

Generally though I like to keep in gear somewhat to maintain the fish on the side of the boat I want it on and to maintain steerage out of crowds or obstacles.....once its looking like its net/gaff/release time its in neutral.

If it is the perfect situation of being completely by yourself in an area of not much tide and no wind I kill the engine and just enjoy......

I will pull out of the pack if I'm in it when we hook up. Generally I don't ever fish the pack. I keep it in gear and let my buddy tell me what he wants or visa versa if I'm on a fish. Neutral only when it's time to net the fish.

I keep it in gear but slow it down until I clear the other gear. Then out of gear and let the customer play the fish not the boat. I pop it back into gear and give it a shot of gas if I see slack line. But I try to get the gear out as fast as I can so I can get it out of gear and let the customer enjoy playing the fish. If I loose a few because of having some fun with a fish...so be it. One thing that has changed since barbless hooks is turning back on a big fish and chasing it down to try and stay on top of it....not anymore....loose most doing that now.

"Then out of gear and let the customer play the fish not the boat" BINGO!!!! LOL. I had to get a bit testy with a Mexican Capt who tried to drown a sailfish that I was attached to. "SLOW DOWN-- Slowly turn into the fish and I will bring him to the boat" The capt claimed I would lose the fish if he slowed down.... Nonsense ! After a 15 minute battle we had the fish to the boat and released. Very begrudgingly he said to me " Senior- you have done this before !" SI!

All depends on the fish and scenario, however most scenarios end up with leaving it JUST in gear to keep tension and some maneouverability.

Ideally, away from anyone and all engines are off to enjoy the quiet and fight!

Like a lot of answers here, I agree that it really depends. My dad is a 'neutral' fisherman, but recently he's been coming around. I've developed into an attitude that really changes due to current conditions, boat, foot area available, and fighter. With big fish, it's always good to be away from other boats, but there's something to be said with being able to assist the fighter, as a boater.

2 recent instances come to mind, that demonstrate my point.
1st, about a month ago, my dad & I were fishing (with very other boats, maybe 5) at kains island but fighting wind. I had a real dandy on the line, but (fighting his inclinations) my dad had to keep it in gear to keep our boat from kiting in the wind. The ballet of maneuvers we had to execute to land the catch was impressive. We coordinated between me handing him the rod then netting the fish, and him driving the boat, dropping it into neutral when I said while also grabbing the rod butt then putting it back in gear.

2nd instance. This more recent. A couple of days ago I was fishing in the afternoon (Low wind, relaxed settings) with my friend and his 10yr old son, specifically targeting pinks. My side pops off and I get his son to come & fight the fish. The whole time we are in gear, still trolling with the other side. The youngin keeps mentioning how he's having a hard time "this is tough" & "It's pulling so hard". This kid fights the fish like a pro. It runs when it needs and the kid keeps the tip up & everything. It wasn't until we saw the fish we realized he was onto a decent sized spring. Still trolling, I netted this kids 15lb spring.

Like I said, it is a varied, tricky question to answer. It's always better to be able to fight fish away from kelp, hazards and other boats. Another big factor for me, is wind, as the bow of my boat really catches the wind when in neutral, which can lead to people having to run around in circles.

It is crucial that other boats can tell you have a fish on; either stopping or slowing down with a course change will work for the non-clueless. I like to keep the fish off the stern until it is tired so that throttle responses have more effect. Don't be shy about sounding the horn.

I run a charter out of Masset. I always keep the trolling motor in gear. First to move the fish out of the fishing area, something I wish the local lodges would do. Second keep the fish behind the boat something that was already mentioned, it gives you time to get the other rod and downrigger out of the way, if the fish does a dash towards you its easy to power up and keep on the tension. Its really laughable watching some including some of the local lodges going round in circles fighting the fish under the boat with all those opportunities to tangle on a leg all the while blocking up the fishing areas for others also trying to catch.

I will keep kicker in gear. first steer out the pac to open water then slow right down and use boat to position fish for netting. If I am relatively sure I will be releasing fish we will leave other line out and keep rolling.Not only does it save the time of resetting but in my experience I can get fish I will be releasing in faster wen keeping in tow. I feel this shortens the stress on fish. If fish shows sign of being decent we clear gear and slow right down as mentioned. Bonus to slowing to an idle is the fight is so much more "one on one" and FUN. Only reason I keep it idling in gear is in case I need to kick back end around if fish decides boat is a good place to hide under.

One side note here that makes things a little tricky is if we are fishing areas that require very deep presentation in a large concentration of boats. Wen fishing sub 200 on rigger a fish becomes a long way from the boat very quickly. If fishing in the PAC this can make it interesting some times. Not so easy to get "on top of the fish". in my experience. Only thing I have found for this is to plan ahead run my TAC in a manor that provides me an "OUT" if needed. Not always possible wen you get guys that refuse to follow the common (obvious) tac and wait their turn on the hot spot. That's a separate conversation though.

Bottom line for me is there are lots of variables, and the best of plans can go out the window fast due to those variables. That said, My preference in recent years has shifted back to putting more enphasize on enjoying the fight than getting it straight to the bag so as to get back in for the next one as fast as possible. For me personally, many more stories (enjoyment) come out of thinking only of the fish I have on at the time,and leaving thoughts of getting the next one till after the experience of the present has concluded.

Should be fishing today. Cheers ray

Last edited:
I only ever put my boat in neutral when I look around and I'm not interfering with any other boats. I see it as a privilege not a right, and if anybody is coming my way then I see what I am doing as interfering with them. Especially in a river where the current can be five miles an hour, you can make it impossible for other people to successfully navigate around you if you're not under power.
As for staying on top of your fish, that's more a matter of skill and experience than etiquette. Less experienced fishermen have difficulty with this, so it shouldn't be expected.
To be honest, I prefer to move the fish out of the area rather than move the boat to the fish, as has already been mentioned. Allow others access to the hot area, and move out of the way so you can enjoy a leisurely battle, after all, we're all there to enjoy the fight, whether we're keeping or releasing

Last edited:
I fish alone often so I keep trolling until I get my bearings and then I usually slow it down a hair. The guys saying stay over your fish . Guess what, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'm not going to spin around in circles chasing a 15 pound spring just to stay over the fish. I think that would probably cause more of a disruption than just continuing on . The only time I chase a fish is if I'm into a hammer and then it's a different story

I fish alone often so I keep trolling until I get my bearings and then I usually slow it down a hair. The guys saying stay over your fish . Guess what, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'm not going to spin around in circles chasing a 15 pound spring just to stay over the fish. I think that would probably cause more of a disruption than just continuing on . The only time I chase a fish is if I'm into a hammer and then it's a different story
I fish alone, moocher, fish 3 rods. I hit a fish, slip it into neutral quickly reel other 2 rods in with free hand, off i go chasing the fish staying on top of it and not going in the opposite direction at 3-4 mph with a **** pot full of line out as you keep steering farther and farther from the fish. Personally i don't see the fun in playing a fish that way, is it a fun fight with the motor in gear, is it the fish you are playing or just line going out as you keep going.

Back