Had a great day fishing Monday. Started off at the reef on Secretary. Got a couple of 14's and 6 or 7 pinks.
Moved to Muir later in the afternoon and got a double header right away. Got one 20'in the boat and lost another right at the boat that looked the same size. A few more huge pinks to round out the day. Yesterday was a different story. Very slow. Started out at Sheringham with nothing in about 3 hours. Moved down to Otter and started getting pinks. Had one large Chinook that played like kelp until it was right at the boat then woke up and spat the hook.
Still a nice couple of days one the water.
All on anchovy in JDF chrome teaser heads most of the Chinooks were 80 to 90 feet.
Never seen pinks so big. We brought one in the boat as we were sure it was a 10 pound Chinook but it was a pink. Crazy big. Maybe they have been hanging around Japan the last few years and got a bit of radiation! :)
On Monday there was a small tin boat fishing right at the entrance of the spit. I came around the corner in the fog heading out and there he was. There was tug pulling a barge coming in as well. Besides being a closed area was very dangerous.
Cheers!

I'm well aware of the Subareas 20-6 and 20-7 [Sooke Inlet, Sooke Harbour and Sooke Basin, northerly of a line from Muir Point to Possession Point] and have always gone by sight to stay away.

I can't find the lat and long for the southern edge of 20-6 (Muir Point to Possession) on the DFO website. Any one have them? Be nice to make a line in my GPS especially if it's foggy. Cheers!

Keep in mind it is not just the Chinook Non-retention Zone that is inside the line from Protection Point to the far end of the Bluffs (Muir Point) that is an issue. There is also the RCA no fishing zone on the East side of Sooke Inlet that the Chinook Protection line intersects. That closed to fishing zone comes out of Sooke inlet, across the bluffs and then goes about 70 % of the way around the inside edge of Sooke Bay (next bay to the west of Sooke Inlet) and it comes out a fair ways. So on the west side of Sooke inlet it is possible to be in double jeopardy in that you could be in both the Chinook Non Retention Zone and also the Rockfish Conservation Zone no fishing area.

Last edited:
Keep in mind it is not just the Chinook Non-retention Zone that is inside the line from Protection Point to the far end of the Bluffs (Muir Point) that is an issue. There is also the RCA no fishing zone on the East side of Sooke Inlet that the Chinook Protection line intersects. That closed to fishing zone comes out of Sooke inlet, across the bluffs and then goes about 70 % of the way around the inside edge of Sooke Bay (next bay to the west of Sooke Inlet) and it comes out a fair ways. So on the west side of Sooke inlet it is possible to be in double jeopardy in that you could be in both the Chinook Non Retention Zone and also the Rockfish Conservation Zone no fishing area.
20170809_141848_resized.jpg

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/areas-secteurs/docs/20-eng.pdf

Hypothetically can you hook a Chinook in the non retention zone and then land it on the other side?

If a fisheries officer witnessed the hook up in the protected area you would be charged or fined.

It does say " Non Retention" for inside the line for 20-6,20-7 http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html#fmc_057
Also says Single-Pointed Barbless Hook for inside the line for 20-6,20-7
Technically you can fish inside the line, use Single-Pointed Barbless Hook and catch and release.
Just don't fish in the rock fish closure in 20-6 http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html#rca_146

Last edited:
Still a lot of mixed reports but don't worry everyone, we will be out in 6 days for our annual trip and there will be tons of fish coming in off the biggest floods of the month next week :) At least I keep telling myself that lol :) Either way, any day on the water doing what we all love if still much better then the alternative.. I'm hoping I can post some good info over the 5 days we are there fishing!! Happy fishing everyone and good luck out there!!

IMG_1528.JPG Tough fishing last 1 1/2 days. Slowest I have ever seen it here in Sooke area. Finally crushed one on South side of Sec. Island. Over 30. Ran like a fright train. Son got it in the boat--Great Job. Whole Herring in purple haze helmet. 50 ft on rigger 200 FOW. Through everything we had at them in the bag no love until almost top of flood. Picture is 100 quart cooler. One more day then heading home. Hopefully tomorrow will pick up. Otter in to Muir dead today. Lots of boats not much catching.

IMG_3418.JPG Not a bad day for us today for a first day of the trip. We landed 2 decent nookies, a 12 & 16 Had a another decent one up to the boat twice, it fought awesome that one, but I wimped out on the net,, amature lol, big roller came in just as I did the reach and I lost some footing, I had it in the net but couldn't close it up as I slipped and it jumped the net and gone. Another nice runner was long line realeased. 2 dandy Pinks, geez those things are hogs this year, nicest I've ever seen. So for a first day can't complain. All Springs at 50' Chartreuse teaser head on a chartreuse flasher.

Good luck to the hardy guys in the JDF Derby who have big boats or have the boat on a trailer and can launch some place and stay in the lee of a point. We are in a slip in Sooke and checked the wind this morning (up to 34 knots at Sheringham) called my buddy and went back to bed. Will consider our membership fee in SVIAC and the Derby tickets as a donation to a very good cause. Weather goes with the territory. Perhaps there will be a few good general entry draws as tomorrow looks like it may not be much better.

I was going to try the yak tomorrow from Sheringham but looking at the forecast, I think I'll wait for Monday.
T2

Good luck to the hardy guys in the JDF Derby who have big boats or have the boat on a trailer and can launch some place and stay in the lee of a point. We are in a slip in Sooke and checked the wind this morning (up to 34 knots at Sheringham) called my buddy and went back to bed. Will consider our membership fee in SVIAC and the Derby tickets as a donation to a very good cause. Weather goes with the territory. Perhaps there will be a few good general entry draws as tomorrow looks like it may not be much better.

Don't feel bad Rick I bailed entire weekend as well. Had a guy here from Alberta was going to take put but not fishing till next week. Must have been fun out there...

Back