2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Did the Rats Nose. No Hali. Two flounder and 7 Salmon. Didn't see a hali brought in and there were a lot of shakers. Maybe we will try the wall tomorrow.

Wow. Two days of hard scratching.
Beautiful country, all the small Chinook that have been keepers had empty bellies. Lots of shakers.
Outside yesterday and Friday, inside today.
Fog rolled in hard on the evening fish, so back to the BBQ.

Did an early troll at Cape Beale with anchovies, no love.
Burned out to Rat's Nose, threw out a couple of plugs and had steady fishing for two hours. Easy limit of nice Chinooks.
Picked up a quick 25# Hali on the way in.
Except for the pea soup fog, life is good.

So weird that the springs aren't in the sound yet...but they are going to have to start pouring in soon. Maybe the low pressure at the end of the week/weekend will change things up

Just back , i dont know , we seem ta do alright , beginners luck perhaps , 3-4 fish when we got out, some gooders to , swale meares beale diplock meathole yankee all had fish on days, we moved alot !! , not lights out by any means but decent , 28.5 lbs the largest on the nook scale , coho out in the middle was good , best bottom fishing ive had in years , easy limits of lings , yellow eye , quilbacks , lights out halli fishin the one day we pulled the Scotsman out, one right on the button , had one arouund 120-130 lbs on for 30 min , layed into her and pulled the hook , then wham port side goes off , this beauty 133cm , 3 halli in short order , Cathys happy now , anyways , great trip , 2 coolers of fish , no complaits on my end , were thankfull for sure , back next week for another 2 weeks , post soon

oh yeah , all fish caught on small spoons , long leaders ,58-68 feet was the ticket

Fd

Last edited:
Just back , i dont know , we seem ta do alright , beginners luck perhaps , 3-4 fish when we got out, some gooders to , swale meares beale diplock meathole yankee all had fish on days, we moved alot !! , not lights out by any means but decent , 28.5 lbs the largest on the nook scale , coho out in the middle was good , best bottom fishing ive had in years , easy limits of lings , yellow eye , quilbacks , lights out halli fishin the one day we pulled the Scotsman out, one right on the button , had one arouund 120-130 lbs on for 30 min , layed into her and pulled the hook , then wham port side goes off , this beauty 133cm , 3 halli in short order , Cathys happy now , anyways , great trip , 2 coolers of fish , no complaits on my end , were thankfull for sure , back next week for another 2 weeks , post soon

Fd
Another two weeks??? How lucky are you to be able to spend so much time over there. I love it there, going next Thursday for my one and only trip of the year. Can't wait.

For our last day we had to go out to Rat's Nose again.
More boats out for sure yesterday.

Took a bit longer for the bite to come on, around 11:00.
Started with a few smaller fish then it was go time!
Plugs between 120 and 148.
Picked up our limits of springs and a clipped coho in a couple hours of great fishing.

Tried for some hali on the way back in, but did not have the patience, so we headed back to China Creek.

Bit of a mixed bag for a first recreational trip to Bamfield.
Love the inlet, Mills Landing took top notch care of our catch.
Even though I confirm our moorage at the 'Motel' two days before arriving, they still thought we were arriving two weeks later!
We made a 24' Eaglecraft work on a 12' finger dock!

The Tackle Shack and fuel dock at Harbourside put us onto the plugs at Rat's Nose, and that was priceless.
We visited both stores and the pub.
Did not get to do the boardwalk, but will be back again.
Did not like the hard miles to get over the rough ground to hit Rat's Nose, that was some of the most draining traveling I have done since I was paid to drive boats.
But our freezers are full and much fun was had, now back at the office, wobbling around!

So weird that the springs aren't in the sound yet...but they are going to have to start pouring in soon. Maybe the low pressure at the end of the week/weekend will change things up
Just came back last night from a quick trip to pick-up a trailer at Poett Nook, went fishing Thursday evening, Friday morning for a few hours, covering quite a bit of territory... Best I've seen was a boat going out the Nook on his kicker, turned the corner, and hit a 19 and a 20... But overall , very few springs are swimming in the sound.... Very little bait, and saw only a couple of whales... Most of the fish that came at the cleaning station had empty bellies.... With hundreds of boats around, few nice springs are being caught here and there, but nothing close to what it use to be only a couple of years back... What's happening to our fish ?????

Hatcheries have happened to our fish...... along with poor ocean survivals, climate change, microplastics, and ocean acidification..... to name a few.

Hatcheries have happened to our fish...... along with poor ocean survivals, climate change, microplastics, and ocean acidification..... to name a few.

You get the T-shirt as well?

I will say, just got back from Barkley myself. Fishing was slow, very slow on the inside, but tons of fish being caught outside and when I was loading up at China creek there was some beautiful fish at the dock. The fish are around, just gotta find them.

Climate Changers seem to have a good excuse for being poor fisherman

Back