Heading out to sooke today for a few days fishing. Probably on the east side between beecher and secretary as I'm in a sailboat so my top speed is 6 knots, so getting over the west side takes a long time, hah. Anyone fished around there recently? Most of the last few pages has been about otter point/sheringham
Been out 3 times this week between beechy and secretary lots of pinks 1 sockeye and 2 coho plus 3 springs 16 and 2 at 18 good luck

X2 for first light at Beachy Head. I've been doing very well before sunrise 40-60 ft fishing anchovy in green glow teaser heads...

That being said, went out for my first night fish thursday and picked up a 15 and 22 lb springs between 8:00 and 8:30 in the same spot.

Out early to beat the rush but the fog was thick as was the traffic at the ramp. Turned out to be a derby day and instantly regretted waking up this morning. She was like a parking lot out there and then add the poor visibility, made for a less than relaxing day solo.

Trolled Possession/Sectetary for a couple hours but nothing then headed along the bluffs and picked up a 13lb Spring for dinner tomorrow. Betsy/green teaser head, around 50'. Lost another an hour later but it was smaller. Saw some small fish caught, lots of crap in the water out front of the harbour which made for a constant cleaning gear day.

Hope everyone had a good time in the derby.

Painful weekend. So many beautiful days last week, get to the weekend and fight to get out of pedder. Fish are in short supply in the bay, we however got lucky with a nice 15# yesterday, nothing today. Wasted alot of time this weekend trying to figure out halibut.

IMG_1249.JPG
Well was in the Sooke Salmon Enchancement derby this weekend. Had a great time with my son, lots of fun. We did not get anything to big but we had alots of action on Saturday & Foggy Sunday. We got 10,12,&14. also to 2 wild Coho and alot of shakers to go along with all that sea weed and garbage in the water. Had a great show of killer whale off Possession Pt in the morning with all the Fog. Came right up to the boat, just about (*&^S) my pants!!!!

Great derby put on by the SSES. Curious watching a slew of boats including guide boats fishing the inside of Possession point the last 2 days. Cant retain and Springs in there as of Aug 1, and an unlikely area for any Coho.

Great derby put on by the SSES. Curious watching a slew of boats including guide boats fishing the inside of Possession point the last 2 days. Cant retain and Springs in there as of Aug 1, and an unlikely area for any Coho.

Ya I noticed that too. In 40-50' of water, lines down, right in the middle of the entrance to the harbour.

Well it was a slow weekend for sure but im going to DERAIL what you guy may think is in closed area if your in id say 38 ft of water yes your over the boundry . what APPEARS in your eyes as to close really isnt the line is from the low possesion pt to muir pt if you go on your plotter and make a route you can clearly see it . there is really alot of room there to work.
EVERYONE on here go over the speed limit every day so why ya getting you knickers in a knot???? relax and go fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Late post from yesterday:

Left the dock at 6:15 to battle the fog and head out to Otter. Started on the outside and worked my way into the tack, and as I got closer to the shore, the boats started appearing out of the fog, and appearing and appearing. Too many boats for my liking, I lasted about 15 minutes and started to head out to Muir with the tide. Fished the top of Muir, hooked into a couple of shaker springs, released a pink and then landed a 7-8 lb wild coho that lived to see another day.

After a couple hours we headed to Sherringham, on the way, about 1/4 mile before the lighthouse, double header, 1 long release, the other was another wild coho about 5 lbs. not much going on for us there, seen a few fish caught, but nothing of size when we were there. About 1:30, decided to go a little deeper, 70', rewarded with a nice hit on the rod immediately after we had noticed it on the finder ( which never happens to me), handed the rod to my son who made the trek, fight was short live, a long line release.

Packed up around 2, headed back to sooke, passed Otter, really surprised at how the water was ripping through Otter compared to Sheringham.

Fished from 35-75' with chrome green, bloody nose, and purple haze all with anchovy, purple haze had a few more hits than the other two.

Well it was a slow weekend for sure but im going to DERAIL what you guy may think is in closed area if your in id say 38 ft of water yes your over the boundry . what APPEARS in your eyes as to close really isnt the line is from the low possesion pt to muir pt if you go on your plotter and make a route you can clearly see it . there is really alot of room there to work.
EVERYONE on here go over the speed limit every day so why ya getting you knickers in a knot???? relax and go fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No knickers in a knot here, just an observation Wolf. And I totally agree with you thats theres lots of room to work with. People go over the speed limit knowing what the speed limit is, Talked to several people yesterday at the dinner and they were unaware of any closures. One guy thought the white square marked an underwater cable running across the harbour mouth.lol

No knickers in a knot here, just an observation Wolf. And I totally agree with you thats theres lots of room to work with. People go over the speed limit knowing what the speed limit is, Talked to several people yesterday at the dinner and they were unaware of any closures. One guy thought the white square marked an underwater cable running across the harbour mouth.lol
I think it's totally fine to get your knickers in a knot if people are either speeding or fishing in closed areas. A lot of people push the envelope, but if you aren't one of them, no need to become defensive right? I think making an observation is different than an accusation!

Fished the head this morning in the cold wind and fog. I only saw a few pinks caught and no springs. Just before noon I had a hit at Aldridge and that was it. The cleaning station was dead.

Fished the head this morning in the cold wind and fog. I only saw a few pinks caught and no springs. Just before noon I had a hit at Aldridge and that was it. The cleaning station was dead.
Same result for us only we turned around and fished Aldridge after a very short visit to the tidal slop at the Head.
T2

Fished from Sat afternoon to Monday morning, caught a bunch of shakers and nothing else (not even any hits) until this morning when I lost a small pink at the boat, and then my partner managed to get a lovely 12lb spring. Didn't see any other ppl really catching much aside from shakers, we mainly fished inside becher bay as as soon as we stuck our heads out past beachy head it got really foggy, cold and windy.

Lol.

I think one should be more concerned of all the sockeye and coho being filleted and stored in portion ziplocks on dock then pointing fingers at someone fishing 10 ft on the boundary. NOT defensive at all just tired of some idiots on the water, doing some really stupid stuff for instance Spencers boat running up the inside at otter full bore in the FOG complain to the guy hes says you guys are just jealous??? wtf or no apprehension to right rod to shore, i will always give that to you and i kinda expect it in return especially when the current is ripping.

so enough of my Rant.. REPORT time

So after the derby knew this was going to happen 23 and a 15 lber and a tyee pink that weighed 10 lbs fun day by all

good luck Wolf
image010.jpg

Back