Yamaha f300xca

Gazza

I am a newly addicted boater and am looking at buying a new campion 682 BRA SC with a Yamaha f300XCA on a pod. Does anyone have any feedback on this engine?

• My new F300 only has 55 hours on it but I love it so far. Don't know about long term reliability on these engines but we will see! I know there are varied opinions out there about brand preferences.
  • Mine is mounted on the same boat that you are looking at and performs very well and has very good cruise efficiency. I think it's a good choice for that hull.

• My new F300 only has 55 hours on it but I love it so far. Don't know about long term reliability on these engines but we will see! I know there are varied opinions out there about brand preferences.
  • Mine is mounted on the same boat that you are looking at and performs very well and has very good cruise efficiency. I think it's a good choice for that hull.
How do you like the Campion 682?

I like it. I wish it was 2 feet longer to handle rough water better but it's not bad for a hull of that size. It tends to porpoise unless you use some trim tab but the hull responds very well to engine trim and trim tab. It's a good boat for fishing and cruising. Ask Campion or the dealer to supply 8" tall seat pedestals rather than the standard 6" ones. It helps get you up where you can utilize all that nice tall window area.

I like it. I wish it was 2 feet longer to handle rough water better but it's not bad for a hull of that size. It tends to porpoise unless you use some trim tab but the hull responds very well to engine trim and trim tab. It's a good boat for fishing and cruising. Ask Campion or the dealer to supply 8" tall seat pedestals rather than the standard 6" ones. It helps get you up where you can utilize all that nice tall window area.
So does porpoise mean that it lists to one side at times? I currently have a 1995 campion and at times I struggle to get it to run straight and balanced.

Porpoising means that the bow will rise and fall continually unless you use the trim features to pull the bow down by trimming the engine in or lowering the trim tabs slightly. Trim tabs will also solve the problem of unbalanced loading causing the boat to list. Make sure your new boat has hydraulic or electric trim tabs that you adjust from the dash.
What model is your 1995 boat?

Porpoising means that the bow will rise and fall continually unless you use the trim features to pull the bow down by trimming the engine in or lowering the trim tabs slightly. Trim tabs will also solve the problem of unbalanced loading causing the boat to list. Make sure your new boat has hydraulic or electric trim tabs that you adjust from the dash.
explorer
it
it is an explorer

I have a 2017 F300 UCA - so far positive experience. Like the digital controls and SDS propeller - smooth and silky and no more clunking when shifting. Fuel economy is slightly better than my F250 but boat handles much better with addition torque when running offshore. Interestingly due to the different gear ratios I dropped from a 17 pitch prop to 15 on the F300. I think you should get good performance on that hull and motor combination.

Gazza, there are several Explorer models. If it is a 622, I can give you a comparison of how the 682 will handle vs the 622. I had 2 different 622's, one inboard and one outboard.

Geno, it's interesting that you are running a 15 pitch prop. I'm using a four blade 17P. What rpm are you getting at WOT? I'd also be interested in knowing what speed you get at your favorite cruise rpm.

Gazza, there are several Explorer models. If it is a 622, I can give you a comparison of how the 682 will handle vs the 622. I had 2 different 622's, one inboard and one outboard.

Geno, it's interesting that you are running a 15 pitch prop. I'm using a four blade 17P. What rpm are you getting at WOT? I'd also be interested in knowing what speed you get at your favorite cruise rpm.
Geno I am looking at a 682 SC with the 300 hp Yam and 9.9 yam kicker. It is brand new so I haven't taken it out but all the research I have done suggests that they make a good boat.

OF...I was running a SWS2 17 on the 250 and now SWS2 15-3/4 x 15 on the F300. On the new motor I'm getting 5900 at WOT and fully trimmed out about 44 mph (on the speedo).

When fully loaded 4 people, full fuel (say 525 litres), 10 gal of water etc, 2 coolers, gear etc. then that cruise is 30 mph at 4400. If i'm lighter say 1/2 fuel and no coolers 32 mph at 4200. That is about 300-400 rpm less than my 250. My best fuel economy is near 3900 and 26 mph but I never run there :).

Gazza that is what i'm running on my Wellcraft (300/9.9). Been happy with the performance. I would recommend that you tie the main and kicker together for more control when fishing. I switched this year (from just remote kicker steering) and the upgrade in control is very noticeable especially in the wind. Make sure the dealer props the main correctly.

Hey Gazza, I have a 2013 F300XCA with approximately 225 hours on it. I change the oil and service it my self. I send engine and leg oils into a lab for analysis every time. I have had no issues with the engine and would probably go with Yammaha again if i were in the market. The oil does die red from using marked fuel. The lab work has always come back good for its lubricating qualities but it does show fuel dilution so i change at 50 hrs rather than 100. I also have a T9.9LPA that probably has 4-500 hours on it, i have only done oil changes and spark plugs and it runs like a dream. I did have to spray some WD-40 into the starter to free up some salt build up. Probably my fault for not rinsing it off as well as i should have.
Good luck.

OF...I was running a SWS2 17 on the 250 and now SWS2 15-3/4 x 15 on the F300. On the new motor I'm getting 5900 at WOT and fully trimmed out about 44 mph (on the speedo).

When fully loaded 4 people, full fuel (say 525 litres), 10 gal of water etc, 2 coolers, gear etc. then that cruise is 30 mph at 4400. If i'm lighter say 1/2 fuel and no coolers 32 mph at 4200. That is about 300-400 rpm less than my 250. My best fuel economy is near 3900 and 26 mph but I never run there :).

Geno, I'm running a 15 1/4 x 17p four blade prop and I'm impressed with its performance. I cruise at 3400-3500 and get 30 mph with 4 people and half tank of fuel and water. Fuel mileage is 2.8-3.1 mpg. 4000 rpm gets to 35 mph and 2.6 mpg. WOT is 5600 and 50 mph (it takes a minute or so to creep up to 50 as I'm trimming it. The four blade also allows me to slow to 3100-3200 before the boat starts to fall off plane.

Old fisher what boat are you running? Those are good numbers. I have a wellcraft 252 coastal and my fuel numbers are more like 2.5 mpg. Coastal weighs 4300 lbs dry without power. Is your prop merc Rev4?

Geno, I have the Campion Explorer 682. It's a little smaller than yours and about 600 pounds lighter.
My prop is not a Rev 4 but it is similar. I like the Rev 4 but Yamaha does not recommend it's use on their outboards due to some shaft seal problems that they say are related to that prop. My prop is a Powertech OFS4. They are made in Louisiana. I like four blade props as they are efficient at cruise and tend to lift the stern.

Geno, I have the Campion Explorer 682. It's a little smaller than yours and about 600 pounds lighter.
My prop is not a Rev 4 but it is similar. I like the Rev 4 but Yamaha does not recommend it's use on their outboards due to some shaft seal problems that they say are related to that prop. My prop is a Powertech OFS4. They are made in Louisiana. I like four blade props as they are efficient at cruise and tend to lift the stern.

OF, I know this is an old thread but I was specifically searching for testimonials on OFS4 props on Yamaha F300 outboards when I came across it. Yours was the best real world experience for comparison as I also have a Campion 682 which I just purchased last fall. I am getting decent results with a Yamaha SWS II in 17P but have a bit of porpoising at lower speeds that I would like to address. Your numbers are encouraging and I believe I will try the OFS4 in 16P to achieve a bit higher rpms than you experience (5800?) but I have a couple of questions for you: How is the Powertech cushioned hub for dampening the shifting clunk? I tried a Mirage Plus with a flow-torque hub and besides it being under pitched (15) it was terrible after having the Yamaha SDS hub. Did or do you have any porpoising issues and how did the OFS4 affect it? And finally, where did you get your Powertech OFS4? Thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.

My friend had a problem with his boat also. He ended up putting wedges behind the motor to change the angle of the motor. Cleared up the problem.

Hi Squire,
I found the OFS4 prop during some internet research on props. I knew that I wanted a four blade and I contacted a guy who I had talked to previously. Although he is in Florida, he is very good about replying to email questions and he is very knowledgeable. If you do much prop research on the internet you will see him answering people's questions on various forums. His name is Ken Reeves of Prop Gods Ltd. (KR@propgods.com). He sells various brands of props and has good prices. I've bought a couple from him and he was good to deal with. I have found no Canadian dealers who stock that prop. I think Ken shipped for about $70. Not bad.
I don't know if Powertech makes the OFS4 in 16P. I do know they make a 15P. I love my 17P and feel that it's a good match for the 682 although I have to nurse the trim to get WOT up to 57-5800. By the way, if your F300 is new I'd recommend making it work hard now and then to properly seat the rings.
Although I have never run the SDS to compare, I don't find the OFS4 cushion lok hub to have harsh shifting at all.
My boat does porpoise if I don't use the trim tabs but I don't think the prop made it any worse/better. I think it's the nature of that hull with pod. Maybe wedging the motor may help.
I hope this helps.
OF

Hi Squire,
I found the OFS4 prop during some internet research on props. I knew that I wanted a four blade and I contacted a guy who I had talked to previously. Although he is in Florida, he is very good about replying to email questions and he is very knowledgeable. If you do much prop research on the internet you will see him answering people's questions on various forums. His name is Ken Reeves of Prop Gods Ltd. (KR@propgods.com). He sells various brands of props and has good prices. I've bought a couple from him and he was good to deal with. I have found no Canadian dealers who stock that prop. I think Ken shipped for about $70. Not bad.
I don't know if Powertech makes the OFS4 in 16P. I do know they make a 15P. I love my 17P and feel that it's a good match for the 682 although I have to nurse the trim to get WOT up to 57-5800. By the way, if your F300 is new I'd recommend making it work hard now and then to properly seat the rings.
Although I have never run the SDS to compare, I don't find the OFS4 cushion lok hub to have harsh shifting at all.
My boat does porpoise if I don't use the trim tabs but I don't think the prop made it any worse/better. I think it's the nature of that hull with pod. Maybe wedging the motor may help.
I hope this helps.
OF

Thanks to both of you gentlemen for your replies. I had wedges installed and my motor moved up one mounting hole as I also observed the cavitation plate riding below the water surface at 40 mph. I haven't had the boat on the water since so I don't know if it helped. I have been following boating forums and Prop Gods was the source of some of the advice I followed to have this done. It was also their recommendation of the OFS4 that had me search for more testimonials.
I appreciate sites like this one for real world results to help narrow down my options, including the appropriate pitch. I currently have some extra stainless props on the shelf as a result of my trial and error phase with my prior 'lake boat' with the 350 MAG MPI inboard/outboard. That boat and motor combo loved the Rev4 17P so much I couldn't separate them when I traded it in. That prop performance is what I am hoping to replicate with my 'ocean boat' now with the OFS4. I also have an Enertia 18P left over from that experiment to try on this outboard. When I get it dialed in I plan to have a prop clearance sale :D
As I only have 4-5 hours on the motor so far I will heed the advice about working it; I was told by the dealer that this was important early on as well.
Thanks again for your input.

Back