2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Out on the flats with an old friend yesterday checking out his new ride. Nice 21 Explorer with new power and kicker, nice setup! Little jealous :D
I fish out of Cheanuh primarily with bait but figured since we were fishing the bottom in Oak Bay we'd stick with Skinny G's, AP and Coho Killers as well. Nothing on the lures, both fish caught on chovy right on the bottom. No monsters, but a couple nice springs all the same....
Cheers!

Hi I am brand new to this forum but not new to Oak Bay having fished there for almost 50 years and learned from my father in law who started fishing there in the depression.
I have just been out a few times since getting a ,new to me ,old Arima sofar just one 8# spring near Brodie rock. I used to fish from brown shack to the light house at trial but I guess some of that is in the Rock fish protection area.
I haven't seen any one fishing the point near the light house does any one fish there?
I look forward to getting to know you all in the forum, on the water and at Cattle point.
Tight lines
Tom
Habberdasher was my handle in the days of CB radio

Welcome to the forum !
hope to see you fishing some of the nicest waters on the south island.

IMG_4878.JPG Got out this morning for a quick fish before work with a friend. She pulled this in about 5 minutes after we got the rods out. 68cm. We were at Broatchie in 90' of water and the riggers at 50' and 70'. Not big but also not skunked for a change. It was caught on anchovy with a no bananas teaser head and a purple flasher. Had another hit but it didn't stick.

Hi I am brand new to this forum but not new to Oak Bay having fished there for almost 50 years and learned from my father in law who started fishing there in the depression.
I have just been out a few times since getting a ,new to me ,old Arima sofar just one 8# spring near Brodie rock. I used to fish from brown shack to the light house at trial but I guess some of that is in the Rock fish protection area.
I haven't seen any one fishing the point near the light house does any one fish there?
I look forward to getting to know you all in the forum, on the water and at Cattle point.
Tight lines
Tom
Habberdasher was my handle in the days of CB radio
welcome Tom! Light house at trial is always good in August.

beemer

IMG_2004.JPG Out last night on the flats. 1 for 1 off Brodie, keeping a 12lb hatch. Loads of bait, but saw minimal arches on the finder. My net man got wicked excited, and jumped in after the fish. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson, but kinda doubtful.

View attachment 34445 Out last night on the flats. 1 for 1 off Brodie, keeping a 12lb hatch. Loads of bait, but saw minimal arches on the finder. My net man got wicked excited, and jumped in after the fish. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson, but kinda doubtful.
Now that is a fish story! There have been times when I've felt like THROWING my net man in the water (after they missed a fish) but they were actually a person. I've never had a volunteer.
T2

Still slow going around Esquimalt and breakwall. I scratched up one about 10 pounds today in a 6 hour shift but it's a grind.
Saw one other fish being caught, looked like a pink

Had an epic exchange of F--- YOU's with some donkey in a yacht that ripped through the fleet at the breakwater, was the highlight of the day. :D

Wind stayed away, so a nice day on the water today. Worked Clover Point in close. Lost two springs, one 10 - 12, the other 8-9, near the boat. Landed a third about 8 #, nice red hatchery male with a few small - 2 1/2 inches or so - bait in him. Pretty steady bite for these from 11-ish to 11:45, saw at least one other boat take a fish. Anchovies snagged the two that got away, Skinny G bonchovie took the one I killed.

Fished ten mile/gap area for bottom of the ebb for an hour yesterday. Nothing. Ripped down to hambley pt on sidney island. One nice high teens for someone else. Buddy lost one. Saw tonnes of bait and fish on the sounder of various sizes. Mostly just small shakers snd pinks getting reeled in though. Pulled the pin there at 2 and back to thr glats for a couple more hours. Lots of bsit snd s pilot whale circling s bsit ball and feeding beside us. No nets out on the flats from 230430 for fish worth netting

Flats report from the weekend, 13 lb chinook in about 40 ft in 70' of water. Small anchovy on a clear JDF teaser brined in chartreuse. Fun play as the anchovy was bare and I hooked up a dummy flasher. Thanks to all that posted previously on netting solo. Used the tire-out-the-fish then pop-into-neutral-and-turn techniques.

Saturday tried the Gap for an hour then switched over to the flats, release incidental ling cod, lost one decent hit on the flats. Gold and silver spoon on purple union flasher 100ish feet of water right on bottom maybe 2 to 5 feet off according to the cannon ball. not bad for a first time in that area per se, and only fishing 8-12. Saw three boats net a fish that was it. looking forward to fishing that area alot more this summer.

Lottery win for beemer. Score! Not many fish around today.

Some nice fish out there, and some hitting the dock. Windy tho :mad:
My go-to Ogden pt web cam has lost its live wind data! Predictions aside, this was the best way for me to know if I should leave work early;).
Anyone live close to shore and want to host a web cam? Even the willows beach one was a big help (down for a year now).

Back