Heading to Sooke next week. Any good tips on bait vs spoons? When does it usually pick up in Sooke?

East side of Otter in the corner...on the West Coast Rd road right across from Kemp Lake Rd

Fished the trailer park 1-5 today, 4 springs14-18 lbs

Not trying to stir the pot Ocean Jade but I was fishing the Trailer Park around that same time and did not notice any decent action nor did I notice a boat pick up 4 springs. I'm usually pretty observant and have binos. What boat were you in? Cheers!

Nug

Heading to Sooke next week. Any good tips on bait vs spoons? When does it usually pick up in Sooke?
I personally always have a anchovie on one DR and rotate between a hoochie and spoon on the other. Gibbs skinny G spoons have worked best for me. Then depending on which lure/bait is hitting then sometimes I will change both DRs to the same. Hope that helps.

Got out for the night bite again last night but my usual routes around secretary and possession have not been good to me this year. Anyone else having luck there this year or have the bluffs/ trailer been more productive? I hate running to run west when I only have a few hours to fish but...

I'm coming up to Sooke in a couple of weeks and haven't ever fished the anchovie rigs (I'm from WA...). Does anyone ever fish cut plug herring? Seems odd that the salmon on our side of the line would only eat cut plugs and on yours eat anchovies?

20170721_153202.jpg I was fishing with Rockfish yesterday. The conditions were calm and overcast. We figured that the springs might be a bit higher up in the water column. We had marked bait on the sounder that was near the point on Possession. I had my chovie at 58feet and Rockfish had his special hot hoochie at 70ft. As we made a pass, he says "Look at that huge hog on the sounder referring to the large arch on the sounder" . He said bring up the rigger 4 feet! I did and instantaneously I got hooked up. I thought that it wasn't a big fish that he was referring to because it hit but I had to pull it off the rigger and it didn't run for the first 15 seconds. Then..... the line started screaming out. It was a fun fight where it took off on 3 nice runs before we were able to net it! I was worried that we were going to get sealed when it was racing on the surface!

I personally always have a anchovie on one DR and rotate between a hoochie and spoon on the other. Gibbs skinny G spoons have worked best for me. Then depending on which lure/bait is hitting then sometimes I will change both DRs to the same. Hope that helps.
Thanks for tip slayer!!!!

Last edited:
I'm coming up to Sooke in a couple of weeks and haven't ever fished the anchovie rigs (I'm from WA...). Does anyone ever fish cut plug herring? Seems odd that the salmon on our side of the line would only eat cut plugs and on yours eat anchovies?

Hey there Dave,
I believe the reason for the anchovy over cut plug is action. Get the right bend on a nicely brined anchovy and it'll fish fast or slow. Hard to get the right roll with a cut-plug in this area due to faster currents. Could be wrong about that but i've been using anchovy for years with great success and had very few hook-ups when i try the herring cut plug. Up north is a different story, i've had outstanding results cut plugging in Clayoquot Sound.

Curious about all this radio chatter. What channel is everyone on?

Lots of folks out Sooke way are on 68. Fair bit of chatter but can be a little cryptic at times... "Hey Bob, picked one up at that spot where i saw you at last week with that rig we were talking about at my favorite depth..." lol

Hey there Dave,
I believe the reason for the anchovy over cut plug is action. Get the right bend on a nicely brined anchovy and it'll fish fast or slow. Hard to get the right roll with a cut-plug in this area due to faster currents. Could be wrong about that but i've been using anchovy for years with great success and had very few hook-ups when i try the herring cut plug. Up north is a different story, i've had outstanding results cut plugging in Clayoquot Sound.
As the gambler said,anchovies are just a simpler way of fishing bait. Easier to rig and get good rolls on. Another reason cut plugging is rarely used down is the big tides we usually face, try cut plugging in a decent ebb tide. You'll be going backwards. Also, at times there will be 100 boats fishing the same spot, and to be the one guy trolling 1mph kinda gets in other people's way. In saying this, I have tried cut plugging off the waterfront and out in sooke in slack tides, and under the right conditions, it can be very effective. This is just my 2cents. Tight lines :)

View attachment 34446 I was fishing with Rockfish yesterday. The conditions were calm and overcast. We figured that the springs might be a bit higher up in the water column. We had marked bait on the sounder that was near the point on Possession. I had my chovie at 58feet and Rockfish had his special hot hoochie at 70ft. As we made a pass, he says "Look at that huge hog on the sounder referring to the large arch on the sounder" . He said bring up the rigger 4 feet! I did and instantaneously I got hooked up. I thought that it wasn't a big fish that he was referring to because it hit but I had to pull it off the rigger and it didn't run for the first 15 seconds. Then..... the line started screaming out. It was a fun fight where it took off on 3 nice runs before we were able to net it! I was worried that we were going to get sealed when it was racing on the surface!
Nice fish guys. What was it.....20lbs??

Got out for the night bite again last night but my usual routes around secretary and possession have not been good to me this year. Anyone else having luck there this year or have the bluffs/ trailer been more productive? I hate running to run west when I only have a few hours to fish but...
As you can see from the post below your Rockfish/Silver Spring have success in the Possession/Secretary areas you speak of, but they are experts and the only ones I know of who commonly do. Three or four years ago there were a couple of guides who often used to fish there (but not at night) but now they all run west to parts unknown.
You could ask about the Trap for the night bite, but I don't know it and I also don't see many posts on here about the night bite there. Most folks around here seems to be early birds and only fish these areas in the morning......

ArimaDave disregard all said about cutplugging, seems all who talk the talk haven't walked the walk. Big ebbs can produce big time, been hammering them in Renfrew on strong ebbs, problem is the seals like what i hook :( , but Sooke is a sportsdragging show so no one cutplugs there, and if you do it on the highway of sportsdraggers you will **** a lot of people off, so head to Renfrew :eek:

As you can see from the post below your Rockfish/Silver Spring have success in the Possession/Secretary areas you speak of, but they are experts and the only ones I know of who commonly do. Three or four years ago there were a couple of guides who often used to fish there (but not at night) but now they all run west to parts unknown.
You could ask about the Trap for the night bite, but I don't know it and I also don't see many posts on here about the night bite there. Most folks around here seems to be early birds and only fish these areas in the morning......
The best days I've had this year have all been on the flood & south of otter on the night tacks. I know plenty of guides who clean up from the trap to cheanuh, lots of good fishing out that way!

Back