I'm feeling violated and not in a good way

RODNREEL

I got back into salmon fishing a couple years ago. I've spent time doing my homework and spent money buying gear and I'm enjoying myself. A year ago I met a guy through work and we hit it off. I offered to take him fishing and he jumped at the chance.We went out a couple times last year and picked up a few fish and had a good time. He has no gear,little knowledge he offers to pay his way.It's all good . This year we've been out once to a popular spot with little action. We leave the group and head to a spot my Dad would go when there wasn't much around. A couple hours later two fish and were happy and on our way. Here's the part that burns a little, he calls me up and tells me that him and a buddy and his buddy's son went back a few day's later, same place same gear same depth and caught fisho_O
This spot is not a secret it's just off the beaten path. I didn't tell him not to tell anyone and I don't think he knows what he's done.
Has this happened to you and how did you handle it ?
Am I overreacting ?
Not the end of the world just not how I float my boat !!!

I got back into salmon fishing a couple years ago. I've spent time doing my homework and spent money buying gear and I'm enjoying myself. A year ago I met a guy through work and we hit it off. I offered to take him fishing and he jumped at the chance.We went out a couple times last year and picked up a few fish and had a good time. He has no gear,little knowledge he offers to pay his way.It's all good . This year we've been out once to a popular spot with little action. We leave the group and head to a spot my Dad would go when there wasn't much around. A couple hours later two fish and were happy and on our way. Here's the part that burns a little, he calls me up and tells me that him and a buddy and his buddy's son went back a few day's later, same place same gear same depth and caught fisho_O
This spot is not a secret it's just off the beaten path. I didn't tell him not to tell anyone and I don't think he knows what he's done.
Has this happened to you and how did you handle it ?
Am I overreacting ?
Not the end of the world just not how I float my boat !!!

I agree with the other guys. You didn't discover anything secret and there is no reason to think you're his only fishing buddy.
It's nice to have access to more Intel.
Maybe one day you can go out in the other boat!

What really bugs you?
A...he "offers" to pay but does he
B...your fishing partner has gone with someone else
C...he gave away a hidden spot
D...all of the above

What really bugs you?
A...he "offers" to pay but does he
B...your fishing partner has gone with someone else
C...he gave away a hidden spot
D...all of the above
None of the above.If the shoe was on the other foot I would have called him and said a friend and I are going fishing I'd like to go back to the spot you showed me are you good with that and can you make it.There is no friendship on the line. I'm not pissed off I fish with others as well just one of those things that make me say Mmmmmm.

I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't worry about it these guys might be able to be your Amigos too one day.

Last edited:
If you wanted to keep it to yourself you could have said to him...I'm going to take you to a spot that my dad told me about...I would appreciate that you keep it to yourself and not talk about it or show anyone else the spot. Your a good fishing buddy so I don't mind sharing it with you but you only. I understand both sides stated above but I've learned some people need to be told...because they don't think for themselves.

There is no private real estate out there, people need to get over that.

I can understand your frustration but I'd offer a different perspective. Take some pride in the fact that your buddy listened very carefully and tried to emulate your successes. I think that can be one of the biggest honours there is. Doesn't sound like he tried to hide it from you. Like Waterwokf said, too many people focus only on the negative.

I get $h!t on for sharing information. If I'm successful with something somewhere, why can't others be too?

With salmon who cares. They are all just passing by. Don't sweat the small stuff and this is in that category.....get back on the horse and enjoy having a fishing partner.

If you wanted to keep it to yourself you could have said to him...I'm going to take you to a spot that my dad told me about...I would appreciate that you keep it to yourself and not talk about it or show

anyone else the spot. Your a good fishing buddy so I don't mind sharing it with you but you only. I understand both sides stated above but I've learned some people need to be told...because they don't think for themselves.[/QUOTE

Back