Towing to Moutcha

Apple

I will be heading to Moutcha Bay for the first time mid August and was wondering about the road to get there. I am not so concerned with the condition of the road surface but more with the hills as I've read that there are grades up to 18%. I will be within the weight specs of my tow vehicle but it is a V6 which has bogged down on a few very steep, unsure of grade, hills in the mid summer heat at elevation in the interior. Haven't had any descending issues yet, knock on wood, with taking things slow and gearing down. Is it one long 18% climb all the way? Is the road a nice gradual 5% with one short 50 meter 18% grade? Is it a bunch of constant very steep ups and downs the entire stretch from Gold River to Moutcha? I am trying to decide if I should launch at Gold River in the afternoon, deal with the sloppy seas and have my not very experienced at towing wife tow the empty trailer to Moutcha by herself which worries me or drive all the way and hope we don't get stuck on a hill with no good way back down. Appreciate any insight that can be provided.

There is a big steep hill between Gold River and the turn off for Cougar Creek. I did it once years ago with a small 16 foot fiberglass boat and my V6 Explorer had a hard time climbing the hill. I learned my lesson. If you cannot make it until the afternoon, I would wait until the last hour before dark it will start to settle down (as the days cools so should the wind) and at least be better than mid afternoon. Leave your trailer at the launch in the compound if you are worried. All your wife has to do is drive the tow vehicle.

I've done it a few times before and again quite recently. I think you'll be fine. Most of the steeps are graded, and the hills seem quick to get through.
I've found the trip back out to be worse than the trip in. There's a big uphill section on dirt that I once saw someone stuck on, and I wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes.
If you're at all worried, do as SeaWolf suggested, and pay to park the trailer at GR.

I have towed my 17 and former 16 in to Moutcha with a V6 Pathfinder without drama. Be prepared to gear down on hills and the final descent into Moutcha is steep. It is quite doable if you are patient. That said it is much quicker to launch at Gold River. If you need your vehicle at Moutcha consider leaving your trailer at Gold River. Easier without it.

Thanks for the replies so far. I would like the vehicle as I will be there for a week and we plan on doing some exploring by land as well as sea. I have read that it is reasonably safe to leave truck and trailer at GR compound. I guess if I brought a couple locks it would be no different for a trailer alone. Are reservations typically required for the storage yard/area or is there plenty of room?

Unfortunately no 4 low. Traction control and locking diff to reduce likely hood of getting stuck on the gravel uphills but nothing to help with the gearing.

In order for us to give you the best advice we need to know what your tow vehicle is and what you are towing or approx. weight. I have travelled that road many times and the climbs are not short, there are a couple longer steep climbs that you make. An alternative would be to have your boat run up from gold river and someone drive the vehicle. If you have already had concerns towing up lesser grades then be careful and if overheating has been an issue I would travel early am so if you do have issues you have plenty of daylight to work with. Depending on any issue that may happen you have limited access in gold river and he next closest town with full facilities is Campbell River.

The road is in the worst condition I have seen it in 7 years. Not sure what the deal it but I got the crap beat out of me last week just driving my truck. I normally hesitate on towing a boat on that road (had a really really bad experience on that road that cost me a $3,000 towing bill and a new boat trailer-not my fault) and right now I would not tow one for sure.

I am a huge fan of dumping the boat in at Gold River and running which I do all the way to Tahsis.

What is your boat and tow rig? Not saying it can't be done but I would rather not.

Thanks for the replies so far. I would like the vehicle as I will be there for a week and we plan on doing some exploring by land as well as sea. I have read that it is reasonably safe to leave truck and trailer at GR compound. I guess if I brought a couple locks it would be no different for a trailer alone. Are reservations typically required for the storage yard/area or is there plenty of room?
I have parked on the road at GR for 20 years and never had an issue-if you are concerned about grades I think leaving the trailer at GR is a prudent move. There are several very nasty 15 % and 18% grades between GR and Moutcha bay-if you are a little worried then I wouldn't do it. They are not short and it might be hot!!

Tow vehicle is Honda Pilot, rated for 5500lbs. Boat is a 20 foot Hewescraft Sportsman, so light aluminum. Boat dry is 1300lbs, motor Yami 115 at 400lbs and galvanized trailer at ?650lbs? , so total dry weight is around 2350lbs. Add in people, gas, boat gear, fishing gear, camping gear etc. I should still be under the stated rating but I don't want to get myself into a bad situation. Haven't had any overheating issues, tranny or engine, and that includes getting to Kamloops and towing around up into the hills around there in 40c heat. Only issue I have had is barely being able to crawl up one of those very steep hills, unsure of grade, in first gear for a kilometer waiting for the engine to stall out because it was bogging so bad. It was at 4500ft elevation and 40c outside if that may have contributed, but under powered for sure for that hill. I'm trying to find reference for what a 18% grade is and can't find any comparables, especially in the lower mainland although I'm sure there would be some somewhere.

they might have quota for sale. its an infestation in the area..:(

Like others have mentioned, launch inGR leave trailer there and have wifey drive in to Moutcha. Do not run the inlet after 1:00 as it can get very lumpy. I try to run it before noon if possible, much more enjoyable.

towed that road a fair bit with a big 24' aluminum .... trailer rebuild guys called me to say " what ya been doing ? every hole on your trailer is oblong,,,!!!!

launch at Gold River

Thanks for all of the opinions. Sounds like launching at GR is the preferred route. I will be catching first ferry from the mainland, hopefully that will give us enough time to get to GR and launch before the seas pick up but doesn't look likely. I will get the wife to do the towing in the mean time to get her more acquainted with that but may end up leaving the trailer at GR and have her just take the truck for piece of mind.

ive towed a trophy in to tahsis 2-3 times over the last 5 years with no issues, avg speed 50km/h. the 18deg hill isn't that bad and is usually graded well.

It cannot be emphasized enough how crappy the afternoon outflows are in Muchalat inlet. I have a 17' centre console and did the run home to gold River yesterday at 12 pm. There was not one dry part left on my body, and my boat took an absolute pounding. I usually like to leave at 11am at the latest but we were off shore in the am and after cleaning up the cabin we had a later departure. With a boat of your size and covered you should be fine, but still be prepared for some white knuckles and tense shoulders for holding on to the steering wheel.

It cannot be emphasized enough how crappy the afternoon outflows are in Muchalat inlet. I have a 17' centre console and did the run home to gold River yesterday at 12 pm. There was not one dry part left on my body, and my boat took an absolute pounding. I usually like to leave at 11am at the latest but we were off shore in the am and after cleaning up the cabin we had a later departure. With a boat of your size and covered you should be fine, but still be prepared for some white knuckles and tense shoulders for holding on to the steering wheel.
I did it an hour earlier and it was fine. Earlier is always better.

Back