Got a hatchery spring about 8 lbs this evening in pedder bay, solid glow hootchie, 40ft on rigger, 55ft water

Fished Bedford islands and whirl bay this morning, no luck.

Last edited:
AP lemon lime needle fish spoon was working for us at the Head this AM. 4 springs at 90 ft. We went out to 500 ft looking for coho to fill in the dance card but only hooked 1 wild. The wind blew us off around noon.
T2

Attachments

• IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
image.jpeg Out this am at the Bedfords. Three spring, and a long line release of a decent size, topping out at 14 lbs, 1 wild 2 hatch, at 60-80 feet just before the early tide change. Purple haze and green gold chrome heads. It's so fun being around a newbie playing her first fish.

Last edited:
Arrived in sooke late last night for our annual 3 day July fish out. Grilled up some late night cheeseburgers just outside of cheanuh marine. Tied a few setups then off to bed in the old station wagon. Was out first light and we managed to land 4 chinook salmon between 6am-11am. Nothing big they were all 7-12lbs. Full of mature herring. Heading back out tomorrow. I will report back. Hopefully the wind comes down. This morning I upchucked the cheeseburger from last night. Seagulls got a nice treat :)

After being skunked Tuesday manged to get a small hatchery spring and a large pink today. Wind blew us off again by lunch. Both down at 80' on anchovy just west of Secretary island. With holidays coming to an end figured I'd give up going for the big springs in tight and move into deeper water where I've had more success this year.

Fellows I know there is no way to know for sure but, what are the thoughts on the current slot size on Chinook, do you think it may be lifted by mid Aug this year ?

Never mind,, I just reviewed the regs again and I see we will find out by tomorrow hopefully it lifts.

Last edited:
A tad lumpy this morning again leaving cheanuh. I was hoping the cheese smokies from last night would sit ok today. Had a tough morning. First my 12lb cannon ball was not properly clipped on and when I plunked it in the water down she went attached to nothing. Didn't like that one anyway! Whoops. Second while I was using the leaky fish and doing my business the port side rod went off and I quickly tried to zip up my trousers and caught a sliver of my Johnson skin...holy &;$;$/$/ that hurt!!!!! And to top it off it was a 4lb pink salmon. All we managed today were three pinks. Anyway back to icing my jimmy. Back at it again tomorrow for the final day.

Cheers

A tad lumpy this morning again leaving cheanuh. I was hoping the cheese smokies from last night would sit ok today. Had a tough morning. First my 12lb cannon ball was not properly clipped on and when I plunked it in the water down she went attached to nothing. Didn't like that one anyway! Whoops. Second while I was using the leaky fish and doing my business the port side rod went off and I quickly tried to zip up my trousers and caught a sliver of my Johnson skin...holy &;$;$/$/ that hurt!!!!! And to top it off it was a 4lb pink salmon. All we managed today were three pinks. Anyway back to icing my jimmy. Back at it again tomorrow for the final day.

Cheers

Lol,, thats a good one. Sounds like you guys are having fun anyways BBB that's the main thing.

Got out this morning for our final day and winds were much lighter allowing us to fish till nearly 3 pm. My wife got a nice hatch Spring off Possession Pt midday down at 65' and one pink west of Secretary. That was it for the day but a Spring a day in the boat better than the skunk the other day and much more enjoyable with the calmer seas.

Out twice today and fished from 6-noon and then 1-5:30...hit 6 springs and landed 4 of them. Nothing big, teenagers to maybe 16 pounds. More bait around and its tiny under 2 inch herring. A few ballups and lots of Murres and gulls around as well. 50-70 ft worked for us..afternoon flood produced well.

Trip to Sooke planned for August 15th.... 4 days fishing.... hopefully things are like last year ... Slot size removed and plenty of Springs around. See you all then!

Another early morning try out at 5 started in a flood at the head did a dozen donuts. Notta. Took slack to trap picked up a 9 pounder and released a nice big sock! Missed one on way home. Forecasts were wrong pancake out there before noon.

Fished from 6:30am until 1:00pm today. Beautiful flat calm morning and zero wind until about 11 and then only 5K, despite what BWD predicted.

We fished around Possession and Secretary to start and had two hits on herring by 8:30am, both at 90’. One came to nothing, the other a little 5lb hatchery Chinook. Then put on a needle spoon and a pink hootch and hauled them both all the way out to 550’ of water to zero effect except one shaker. Finished up with herring along the bottom at the Bluffs. Still nothing.

So where are all the pinks!!!? My records show that in 2013 they we here by now and in 2015 they arrived in mid June. Something weird is happening…….

The little Chinook had a very large 9” undigested herring inside, which explains why he went for my 6” herring.

Last day of the trip. What a beautiful morning it was out there. Made sure to wear pants today that had no zipper! Yikes don't need that to happen again. Ate a few greasy sloppy joes for dinner so I was happy the seas were as calm as they were. Stomach did not feel the greatest early on and was constantly finding myself on the luggable loo.

Anyway back to fishing. Started at the trap and put a couple hatchery coho in the box first thing. Trolled up one more 13lb hatchery spring on a tomic plug down 78ft. Had one more good fish on and called it a day around noon.

Last day of the trip. What a beautiful morning it was out there. Made sure to wear pants today that had no zipper! Yikes don't need that to happen again. Ate a few greasy sloppy joes for dinner so I was happy the seas were as calm as they were. Stomach did not feel the greatest early on and was constantly finding myself on the luggable loo.

Anyway back to fishing. Started at the trap and put a couple hatchery coho in the box first thing. Trolled up one more 13lb hatchery spring on a tomic plug down 78ft. Had one more good fish on and called it a day around noon.
Your reports are a joy to read. Love that you add a personal touch. Happy to see you got something to eat!

Looking at heading up to Sooke in August! Long time belly boater, going to try my hand at salmon. Looking for an area to practice so I don't terrorize other boaters at possession while learning to salmon fish. Any recommendations for less busy areas to learn the ropes?

Looking at heading up to Sooke in August! Long time belly boater, going to try my hand at salmon. Looking for an area to practice so I don't terrorize other boaters at possession while learning to salmon fish. Any recommendations for less busy areas to learn the ropes?

The bluffs are a good place, just west of Possession. It's an easy troll with lots of space, basically just run west then turn and run west back in front of the harbour. You'll still be fishing those same fish on their way towards Possession. You can also try up towards the trailer park as well. Lots of water and good stepping stone before dropping in on a busy tack. Once you're comfortable, jump in closer to Secretary Isl and become familiar with the tides and tack around Possession. It can get busy at first light but most guys get a good rotation going.

Back