surge brake problem

wagonmaster

When applying the brakes when towing my boat, there is a violent thump and noise. This has been going on for some time now and it doesn't do it all the time. Often it will happen when I take the boat out of the water, thump 8 or 10 times and then quit. I had SG replace the bearings, so no issue there. I don't think the brakes or tires are seizing up as far as I can tell. Wondering if the actuator is slamming forward on these occasions. Any ideas anyone? Can anyone suggest a good place to go and have this looked at? SG has had a couple of looks at it and hasn't come up with a solution other than to redo the brakes and bearings which has been done. Thanks.

How is your tongue weight? Your boat too far back can cause things to bang around a bit especially going up hill such as at the ramp. Or the actuator, but you'd think SG would have caught that.

I'd start with air in the line allowing the surge to compress. Try filling the resi and bleeding them. I just finished replacing a dry line that had no fluid in it.

i might be off the mark for a possible remedy for you but have you tried a hitch clamp , it will totally remove any slack inside between the hitch and the receiver which would thump naturally up and down a bit , google it up and maybe for $25 it ? well it wouldn't hurt the situation . Google it up and see just what it does, might have a well worn hitch ?

Back