Port McNeill/ Telegragh cove

I'll be there for the first week of August, can't wait. Did you end up getting moorage? The lady said "they're full" and put us on the waiting list.

Does anyone have tips for prawns or crabs in the area? I have had a hard time in the past finding any.

I'll be there for the first week of August, can't wait. Did you end up getting moorage? The lady said "they're full" and put us on the waiting list.

Does anyone have tips for prawns or crabs in the area? I have had a hard time in the past finding any.

Haven't been there for a few years now but when we were there we found the immediate area was pretty prawned out by locals. When we crossed the pass and went up some of the inlets a bit we were getting very good numbers of prawns. We didn't crab much there, just in one spot by the mill where we just got undersized and there were a lot of traps in there too. Found a few chicken Hali up there too behind Malcom trolling slow and bouncing bottom with Herring, and one on the south side of Sointula.

I did get moorage.

Was up at Telegraph this past tuesday/wednesday looking for Hali. Fished hard most of tues and wed till noon till wind came up. Unfortunately no luck, we did loose one which felt like a good one. Never been skunked up there till this trip. Fished backside of malcolm towards lizard, between Malcom and Cormorant (usually can get a couple chickens there) and when over to White cliffs where we have had success in the past as well. Hopefully you do better then we did

Too bad TinCup. Last year we really struggled to get anything when we were there at the beginning of August. Wind was terrible. Hopefully this year will be better. Any reports from this area would be appreciated. We are heading up there at the beginning of August.

Too bad TinCup. Last year we really struggled to get anything when we were there at the beginning of August. Wind was terrible. Hopefully this year will be better. Any reports from this area would be appreciated. We are heading up there at the beginning of August.

We'll be at alder bay August 1. I'll be in the 17' calglass with blue bimini top. Lets get some reports going.

Just returned from 4 nights in Tel Cove. Fishing not as robust as some years, but much better than last year. LONG days of fishing, (and what's not to love about that), and Hubby and I ended up w 7 spring and 1 coho, so no complaints. Wind was a bit bothersome, so not much hali jigging time, and no results for the time we did spend. All in all, a good long week-end.

Just returned from 4 nights in Tel Cove. Fishing not as robust as some years, but much better than last year. LONG days of fishing, (and what's not to love about that), and Hubby and I ended up w 7 spring and 1 coho, so no complaints. Wind was a bit bothersome, so not much hali jigging time, and no results for the time we did spend. All in all, a good long week-end.

That's good news! I'm heading up to Alder Bay on the 15th for a month. Hoping for much better fishing than last year!!

Loaded up Thursday morning and hit the road! We got in to alder bay around 2 pm and had the boat in the water in short order after that. We headed out to donegal to troll around but could only find small guys around. Friday morning we headed to lizard point and back trolled for a couple hours and only had one rock fish to show for our efforts so we dropped the salmon gear and trolled up a few more unders. After that we headed out into blackfish sound to try some more jigging but could only find sharks and rat fish... Saturday was the day to test out the new anchor as the winds and tides we're going to cooperate. We headed to the northern tip of malcom island and out to the T in queen sharlot strait. We spent 6 hours on the hook in 2 different spots but only pulled up sharks, rat fish and some rock fish. After that we headed back to donegal to try and troll up some salmon and wouldn't you know the first fish we caught was a 70 cm Hali! Still no keeper salmon to speak of. Sunday morning we headed out to donegal and had 5 hits in the first half hour but couldn't get anything to stick and then my oldest boy decided to put the pad lock on the cabin door and lock it ( a few choice words came out of my mouth) so we had to head back to the dock to get the key. After that we headed out to the wall/flower area for the afternoon. We trolled with all the guide boats for about 1.5 hours but it didn't seem like much was going on so we headed back out into blackfish sound to try some more jigging after pulling up some more undesirable creatures from the depths I hooked into something decent at 400' after a arm burning scrap I pulled up a 18 lbs ling! Monday morning we knew it was going to blow so we headed out to donegal at 7 am. I had tried plugs, anchovies and half a dozen spoons over the weekend so on this morning I rigged up some hoochies and within an hour we had 3 springs between 10 and 18 lbs in the boat. We pulled the pin shortly after that and headed back to camp for a relaxing day of well deserved lounging around!

More pictures to follow.
image.jpg

We were also fishing that area this weekend. This is how I fish this area because weather is a wild card when planning a sat sun Monday morn fishing trip. Got up to Telegraph Cove Friday at 4:30 got the boat in the marina tied up went and had supper and to bed. Saturday Canada Day up rolling out of marina at 4:50 am weather was GLASS best place to go #1 choice is start in trinity bay and troll up to Bere Point see what the action is like. Bomb out there took 25min. This year I have not bought bait once. And this year I plan on going baitless picked up the full line of CJ's and had two trays of AP tackle ready for a work out. Have had amazing success with that stuff this year I can't take my hands off it. Started out with a 3.5" spoon almost got smoked with a 26# spring had the leader soo long I had to hand line it to the net for my sweetie to scoop. That was right at Bere Point. Then not much but glass all day sun wasn't out much but was perfect conditions picked up a nice hatch ho too. Had to get back to the dock had a fun pot luck dinner in the camp ground lots of people telling their stories great time! Sunday slept in a bit still rolled out marina at 6:45 was a tad windy regardless I will always bomb to lizard and take a peak around the corner and see what queen charlottes straight is looking like. Thought I would give it a try. Trolling by our selves no other boats attempting what we were I got on the radio heard my uncle and his brother. They had the intel instead of Pounding it out picked up and rolled behind cover at lizard starting trolling towards donegal picked up a 19# in 5 min. Fished around there for another 3 hrs nothing. Picked up rolled to Swanson as I heard there was. 42# caught at flower island the day before. Fished around the sunds lodge boats only saw one scooped up was small. Headed in for the day got a early sleep needed it after Canada day . Monday just got limit of hatch cohos.

THE ORCA ARE NOT THEIR YET. When the orca show up the spring fishing will bea awesome this year the feed is small right now needle fish hoochies small spoons there is lots of bait around but the bait needs to grow a bit. i would absolutely say that it will be on big time in Augest will be a fantastic year in my favorite place to fish on the coast! Had tones of fun. Going up as often as I can when ever I can get up there.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.PNG
    IMG_0526.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0525.PNG
    IMG_0525.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 77
Was at the cove dropping off the new boat on the weekend, only fished Saturday morning but did pretty good! Nailed 3 springs before 8:00 and headed to Echo bay for the Canada day party! Missed the morning tide, too much wine the night before and just took a scenic trip back sunday to the cove.

Can't wait to be back on the 20th!

Back