Fished between Alridge to the Trap today from about 6am till 10 am, lots of boats out there. Released two wild coho, one small spring and one beauty at 90 cm....so hard to measure the fish trying to hold them up to the sticker on the transom of the boat, all the while trying to keep it out of the water for the minimal amount of time and fishing solo to boot. Anyone out there use a tape measure or any other tricks that would make it easier or quicker to try and measure these fish. The problem i see with using a tape measure is you will have to lay them on the deck of the boat which is not good either, maybe on a wet towel?? Any tips would be appreciated, and when do they usually lift this slot restriction, or do they at all? After about 5 mins of holding it over the side, he took off like a shot which was a relief. All fish at 60 feet , on anchovy with green glo teaser head. After that I picked up the kids and the wife and tried Pedder Bay for a few hours. No hits and didn't see any taken, lots and lots of bait feeding on the surface. Looks like they are feeding on tiny freshly hatched crabs on the surface? Does that sound correct.

Looking at making a run tomorrow for Sooke. Would like to drop a few crab pots on the way out towards Sheringham. Not over familiar with the area for crab, anyone have any suggestions in about 40'-50' of water?

The reports so far look rather promising though for Springs. Have family in from out of country and really would love to show them a good time on the water.

Fished between Alridge to the Trap today from about 6am till 10 am, lots of boats out there. Released two wild coho, one small spring and one beauty at 90 cm....so hard to measure the fish trying to hold them up to the sticker on the transom of the boat, all the while trying to keep it out of the water for the minimal amount of time and fishing solo to boot. Anyone out there use a tape measure or any other tricks that would make it easier or quicker to try and measure these fish. The problem i see with using a tape measure is you will have to lay them on the deck of the boat which is not good either, maybe on a wet towel?? Any tips would be appreciated, and when do they usually lift this slot restriction, or do they at all? After about 5 mins of holding it over the side, he took off like a shot which was a relief. All fish at 60 feet , on anchovy with green glo teaser head. After that I picked up the kids and the wife and tried Pedder Bay for a few hours. No hits and didn't see any taken, lots and lots of bait feeding on the surface. Looks like they are feeding on tiny freshly hatched crabs on the surface? Does that sound correct.
I put a couple of strips of black electrician's tape on the side of the hull showing the maximum length you can keep, then you don't have to land the fish to measure it. When the restrictions are removed or changed you just remove or change the position of the tapes. MB

I marked 67 and 85 on the handle of my gaff with a sharpie. Hold the gaff by the hook beside the fish in the water, measure it up. If it makes the grade, turn the gaff over and take care of business.

Slower but still solid night bite for us tonight. Fishing from 530pm-830, one big 86cm hatchery around 20lbs made for a great trip!

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 102
Slow all day out west. A few shakers and only saw one rather small salmon getting netted all day. Tough tides. Lost one good one at sun down at Secretary.

Good bite at the Head tonight from 4-6 with massive amounts of herring boiling in the bay. Slowed down once the ebb started.

Slow all day out west. A few shakers and only saw one rather small salmon getting netted all day. Tough tides. Lost one good one at sun down at Secretary.
I didn't know you were out. Was just down from you. Totally opposite day from Friday. Slow for us. Fished trap to head till dark.

Looking at making a run tomorrow for Sooke. Would like to drop a few crab pots on the way out towards Sheringham. Not over familiar with the area for crab, anyone have any suggestions in about 40'-50' of water?

The reports so far look rather promising though for Springs. Have family in from out of country and really would love to show them a good time on the water.
@WaterRats im not sure wher

Hey @WaterRats im not sure where your comin from but off esquimalt lagoon has always been real good in about 30-40 feet. seems like the bays have been crabbed out a bit. A month ago we were doin real well in at cheanuh but that has slowed. Also heard someone dropped a trap right in with the commercial guys between muir and sheringham and did real well. Good luck i hope u get em, lotsa bait tied into the middle of your trap will have them comin from miles. And watch for under water buoys. Out that way is pretty bad for sunkin traps. It wakes up everybody pretty quick when u hit one that is 5 feet under water and nearly tears the side of your boat off.

We fished the head to secretary last night. One about 10 lbs off the head for us on the RVP tomic plug at 70 feet. I really should learn the number in case I loose it. It's bagged a fish for me each trip so far. No more action for the rest of the night for us.
I think I saw you at the ramp when we came in last night @brands51. Nice work on the 20 lber

I marked 67 and 85 on the handle of my gaff with a sharpie. Hold the gaff by the hook beside the fish in the water, measure it up. If it makes the grade, turn the gaff over and take care of business.

Good method except for don't use the gaff unless it's well under! Good to hear a lot of guys are respecting the fish and making a solid attempt at a water line release. I saw that a couple of times today. Nice work guys! No point bringing the big ones in the boat imo. The photo just isn't worth it.

Good to see some fish out there. We've done our share of business on teener hatches and let one really nice wild one go in the past few days as well.

CP

Well it was a day of mixed emotions. Had two of my three crab traps up and disappear between Muir and Whiffen so that was quite a downer. No one likes to lose gear. But in the third pot we did get some keeper crab. Fished from Sherringham down to Secrerary between 10am-5pm with not so much as a bite. Apparently my chovie was just not what the salmon were looking for. Talk around the dock seemed to imply that I wasn't the only one skunked.

All that being said it was a pretty fun day on the water with family that started off with a black bear encounter, then some seals, porpoises, and one hell of a big sea lion.

I'll be back Sooke.

Yesterday was a slow day for sure...it was also a stressful outing as I got into a sunken crab trap line off Kirby Creek as I was screaming along with one of the fastest currents of the year. I had no idea it was there as the float was no where in site. My port and middle riggers set at 60 & 70 ft in 100ft of water started spooling out line...both were stretched out towards the surface and putting either motor in reverse would only suck them into the props.....I was F%$ked. I lost both weight, clips, most of the wire on both, both flashers heads.....a mess. I didn't have enough wire left on one rigger to use it the way it was so I would have to respool it. The other one had the broken wire get under the rigger spool and wrap a few times so I had to pull it completely apart to fish it out. I was 30 minutes with only 1 rod in the water and it took an hour to get everything back to normal. Why do these out of town crabbers leave gear out in deep water during big tides when they have to know some of their floats and lines are going to get sucked under?

Yesterday was a slow day for sure...it was also a stressful outing as I got into a sunken crab trap line off Kirby Creek as I was screaming along with one of the fastest currents of the year. I had no idea it was there as the float was no where in site. My port and middle riggers set at 60 & 70 ft in 100ft of water started spooling out line...both were stretched out towards the surface and putting either motor in reverse would only suck them into the props.....I was F%$ked. I lost both weight, clips, most of the wire on both, both flashers heads.....a mess. I didn't have enough wire left on one rigger to use it the way it was so I would have to respool it. The other one had the broken wire get under the rigger spool and wrap a few times so I had to pull it completely apart to fish it out. I was 30 minutes with only 1 rod in the water and it took an hour to get everything back to normal. Why do these out of town crabbers leave gear out in deep water during big tides when they have to know some of their floats and lines are going to get sucked under?
Oh wow! That's the worst! I feel your frustration, we have a sunken one on a popular tack that i had to mark on the chart plotter to avoid it.

Fished the weekend with no hookups when targeting springs. When we moved out into 400' we limited on coho off Sharingham. Saturday there was an even mix of wild and hatchery with a few marked chinook, nothing of any size, but it was a good chance for training the 14 year old. Sunday was larger fish and mostly clipped.

Well I can report everyday s different been getting 1 or 2 fish per day few pin poppers that are Houdini fish and let go after.
had some pretty steller days in sooke already this year. then a few non steller days.
biggest so far was 20 lb white at 84 cm. few others up to the mark but none over ...so thats kinda sad. Can also say ive only seen killer whales one time in 4 weeks in sooke???been a few coho around but on the small side and TONS of bait everywhere from becher to muir creek.
Yesterday I took a day off to fish with a buddy in the island farms derby and we placed tied for 1st at 18.2 lbs and 6th at 15.6 and topped it up with a few smaller ones.
fishing old school. Nice to take a day off and hang with Tiger prawn fishing for a day.

1 Spring in Becher and 3 coho between the Head and the Trap reef this AM. Lots of coho finning on the surface off the Trap.
T2

IMG_3913.jpg 8am to 11am this morning at Pedder Bay with my grandson. Lost one but got a 12lb keeper just inside the can bouy. 80ft of water, rigger at 50ft, purple haze flasher and chovy. The one we lost was on a spotted prawn spoon just off the bottom 90ft of water... First keeper for my grandson. Needless to say he needed lots of help to get it to the boat but he was one very excited kid.. Lots of fun on a beautiful morning.

Last edited:
Slow for springs off beechy this morn lots of coho kept 2 hatchery went through 14 wild lots of fun green white coyote and anchovy 45 to 75 ft

Back