Seeking Drone & Go-Pro info & advice

Chasin' Dreams

Was gonna get Go Pro rigged up on the boat a couple years ago but never did get around to it as life sent me in another direction for a bit.

This season I'm looking into getting the boat rigged up with the Go-Pro again and also looking for advice on the possibility of also adding a drone with a Go Pro attached for doing some filming while I am on holidays for a week up to Hakai area.

Can any one offer any advice with this? Technology changes so quickly so I'm sure the Go Pro's I was looking at a couple years ago are prob a bit behind what's available now?

I would like to be able to launch and land the drone back on the boat so it needs to be accurate in it's functions and very reliable to respond accurately to remote commands so it doesn't get lost into the salty abyss.
There are so many different kinds and the prices seem to be all over the place. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

I bought the Phantom 4 last winter, fantastic drone. Comes with built in 4k camera, carry case, two batteries, everything you need. I take off and land on the back of my Grady no problem, good weather obviously.

You can also film with it without flying it, are the blades off and just hold it with your hands. The camera is on a nimble so it always films level.

This is the package I purchased

https://www.amazon.ca/Quadcopter-Mi...UTF8&qid=1498179540&sr=8-2&keywords=phantom+4

After working with the camera guys on the Alone show over the past 3 seasons this is there go to recreational drone.

Cheers

Right on Wade thank you. Awesome info! Does that unit send a live feed to a computer screen or remote screen on your boat so you know you are filming what you are intending to film? I will read up on your link.

I started doing the GoPro thing last summer, it went very well. I fish 10-12 hours at a time so I wanted to optimize for maximum fishing time and less camera futzing time all the while having enough battery life for the trip. I also wanted to record audio, which is a problem for the older cameras since the waterproof case muffles the sound.

in the end, I settled on purchasing multiple GoPro Session cameras, which are both waterproof by default and cheaper than the GoPro Hero's. The first gen Session camera can be purchased for $150 USD which is a great deal relative to the Heros ($400ish). Each camera records HD at 30fps for 2:20 hrs, which produces a very clear picture. The recharge time is only 1 hour, which means you can recharge on the water no prob and only need two cameras to record the entire trip. I've since bought a couple more cameras so I can go without a recharge when on a boat without USB power.

Last edited:
Was gonna get Go Pro rigged up on the boat a couple years ago but never did get around to it as life sent me in another direction for a bit.

This season I'm looking into getting the boat rigged up with the Go-Pro again and also looking for advice on the possibility of also adding a drone with a Go Pro attached for doing some filming while I am on holidays for a week up to Hakai area.

Can any one offer any advice with this? Technology changes so quickly so I'm sure the Go Pro's I was looking at a couple years ago are prob a bit behind what's available now?

I would like to be able to launch and land the drone back on the boat so it needs to be accurate in it's functions and very reliable to respond accurately to remote commands so it doesn't get lost into the salty abyss.
There are so many different kinds and the prices seem to be all over the place. Any info/advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE
send @Wooly a pm he does a yearly footage upload on here and it's awesome

Sounds like there's some new legislation about drones and if they are over a certain weight you need to take a course to operate them apparently? Haven't read up on it yet. Just saw some info about it on line while surfing the net. Anyone familiar with how that works exactly?

A good friend uses DJI MAVIC it has great camera quality and about 30 minute flight time. He is a complete newbie and the gps and proximity sensors help considerably with controls. It has
a controller that holds your cell phone for camera viewing. I think it's in the $2000 range with the extended kit ( extra battery, propellers, etc)
He has tried it over water but not to and from a boat yet.

I've had the opportunity to use the DJI Mavic Pro as well down in Mexico, and flew it a lot over the water and from a boat. Incredible camera, could even see some fish when the water was flat, and it handled itself very well in the wind. Has a cool setting as well so it can follow an object you target it on, such as a boat on the water. From the boat, we did take offs and landings from a hand held above our heads, but with a good open space, it could land no problem.

Great thread. I wonder if you could use it to search for jumpers tuna fishing?

London Drugs had a deal on Phantoms last week. I think they were 3's. Approx $700. That's half what I paid for mine 2 years ago. That drone would meet your needs. I'm running a Phantom 2 Vision Plus which works great.

I've had the opportunity to use the DJI Mavic Pro as well down in Mexico, and flew it a lot over the water and from a boat. Incredible camera, could even see some fish when the water was flat, and it handled itself very well in the wind. Has a cool setting as well so it can follow an object you target it on, such as a boat on the water. From the boat, we did take offs and landings from a hand held above our heads, but with a good open space, it could land no problem.
I was watching some youtube videos of the Phantom 3's and 4's and the Mavic Pro used from moving boats and I was under the impression the Phantom's are much easier to launch and catch by hand than the Mavic Pro is. Did you not find this when you were using your Mavic from the boat? Do you think the Phantom 4 would be a better choice if I was using it mostly from a boat? Sounds like the Mavic has some advantages over the Phantom 4 but a lot of users really love the Phantom 4's too.

A company made water float feet for the Phantoms: http://www.dronerafts.com/our-story-1/

And the Mavic Pro has some available too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Mavic-p...339477?hash=item360d6ad655:g:G3IAAOSwEzxYVDzQ

If you buy the extra warranty coverage ie. the DJI Care/Refresh for $99 US you are covered for up to 2 drone replacements per year from crashes, water damage etc..So even if you have a mishap on the water and you have the floating feet on the drone so you can retrieve it even if it stopped working, you will still get a complete new drone replaced. Pretty good deal if you are gonna play with drones by the water I think.

I bought the DJI Mavic Pro with the "fly more" bundle today. I wanted a drone that combined good video camera quality with small size for traveling. I used it for an hour today and it's awesome. Was already landing it and taking off from my hand by the end of the hour. Just gotta hope my neighbors don't shoot it out of the sky while I practice with it lol. 20170625_161152.jpg 20170625_180142.jpg 20170625_180125.jpg

Back