1977 Searay 240 rebuild

She is actually a ridgeless Rhodesian Ridgeback. 25lbs at 12 weeks and should be around 90lbs and 26" at the shoulder this time next year. When I die I want to come back as one of my hounds.14975058543981143261706.jpg

Launched it this morning for a couple hour shakedown cruise. Floats inches above the old water line, sits and runs without a list. 12% better fuel economy at cruise. I am pretty happy and it still needs a cuddy door.

Found the leak in my steering tonight. Also successfully function tested my bilge pumps at the ramp this morning. Totally ment to do that.

Theoretically the leak in my steering has been fixed. I was really worried at first thinking it was DFI oil. I also banged together a prototype box to hold my rear bench seat. IMG_20170618_083936658.jpg I figure a welded aluminum unit with the seat mounted to a lid that tilts back to access all my tackle and bait. Then at the end of season it can go in the garage as a unit. 44" x 14" 6"deep with some dividers should make a good tackle box.

My boat is similar to yours just a few years newer. Sure makes for alot more room with the pod. With the money i got into the stroker and the dual prop i should have podded it!

I feel that they are a good compromise family/ fishing/ cruising boats. Most inboards seem like car motors <90% adapted to marine use.

Having cut out and glassing stringers into the last hull and scrapping the hull I am really glad I didn't have to do what you did and appreciate the amount of work. Feel so blessed my current hull is dry and sound, all the holes plugged now and transom reinforcements done. Not going to be done in 3 weeks before I come to the coast so shifting my efforts to my skid steer so I can bring that out to the island as well as a couple weeks of relax time at the lake so my wife can wind down after the school year.
I'm just wondering if you have scuppers on your boat? Floor height above water line?
Fuel tank fabricator and price? You can pm me. Looking at corrosion where plywood shims were probably 30 to 40 percent metal gone.
You should be way proud! Beautiful job!

My floor is right at the water line so no scuppers. I built the tank and had a friend weld it up. My old tank looked good till I pressure washed it and pretty much blew through the top. Running in tonight damn it is so much more rigid.

Back