2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Lot's of boats on the flats this weekend, saw a few caught but overall pretty slow.
The fish we caught were immature feeders which is odd for this time of year.

I went out Friday 11-2 to see if I could luck out on the low slack. First attempt of the year, finally! After struggling with the kicker fuel line and getting squirted in the face with a good dose of fuel :eek: ,trolled around Brodie Rock but nothing bitting. I saw one boat catch a small one just after I got there, but nothing else going on. Maybe about 10 other boats out there. I did get two nice Red Rock crabs just off Caddie Bay, rest of the trap was stuffed with female dungeoness.

Got one of the flats this am but did not see alot of bait and only one other net out.

B.C.’s Family Fishing Weekend June 16, 17 and 18, 2017
Complimentary salt water licenses (have to buy salmon enhancement stamp) for 3 days for those friends and family who might rarely go fishing. Full announcement here. Freshwater too, if it's too windy out front.

Heres a tip.
If you see EVERYONE ELSE !!!! trawling east to west ( or whatever) how about you don.t zig zag through the crowd like you're fighting Vancouver traffic for gods sake.

Reactions: NAD
went out saturday border bank for halis and just ended up doing a dogfish count all day !!!! current was almost to slow in the morning.a lot of the dogs were very small so we really had to watch the gear so we wouldn t be holding on to them all damn day! great weather and good to get out with buddy - always enjoy getting out!!! didn t see many boats out at all .note we always fish deep thats why it was really annoying lol

Saw lots of boats out off the waterfront today, any reports?
Cold as hell, some good lines of weed to contend with, some good bait balls off Macaulay, I couldn't find a willing taker. I saw nobody play a fish. Could be I was the only one skunked but I'd bet not. ;-)

Cold as hell, some good lines of weed to contend with, some good bait balls off Macaulay, I couldn't find a willing taker. I saw nobody play a fish. Could be I was the only one skunked but I'd bet not. ;-)
That's the Q, I'll be out there next weekend to see what's going on! Thanks for the report.

Crappy out there for me today as well. Had one hard hit that had the rod touch the water and another that just took the tail of the chovy. Took home an 8lb ling in the end.

fished off esquimalt around 8am, got one small keeper in the boat.. screwed around there for a while with no action. Headed over to the flats, got a beauty 12# that fought pretty hard but we managed to get it in the boat!
cold and misty today!

Went out to try and get a halibut for father's day with my daughter after fighting of more than a few dog fish we managed to get a nice one it was 53 lbs, it was a great father's day.

slow going on OB flats today. 5 hours trolling produced one 5lb hatchery. Moved to the Gap to try some jigging. Quick work got 2 nice rockfish and a feisty 14lb spring.

Hali tides were good to me this weekend off Oak Bay in 320-360 ft . Saturday we waded through dogfish with one line running herring and the half salmon head on the other took a beating but stayed dog free until it brought up a mid-fifties hali for my friend. Sunday my salmon fishing partner bailed and I was pumped for more hali fishing, so out I went again solo, tried a new spot and got a 70. The salmon head paid off again. The extended family is now stocked up and I'll have some left to try smoking now. FYI, I was running one halibut line and had the downrigger out with a spoon running for salmon. The shipping lanes off Oak Bay had a steady flow of salmon running in the 35-85 and some down to 120ft. One salmon about 5-10lbs jumped close behind my boat about, so it wasn't kelp or cod on the sounder.

Hali tides were good to me this weekend off Oak Bay in 320-360 ft . Saturday we waded through dogfish with one line running herring and the half salmon head on the other took a beating but stayed dog free until it brought up a mid-fifties hali for my friend. Sunday my salmon fishing partner bailed and I was pumped for more hali fishing, so out I went again solo, tried a new spot and got a 70. The salmon head paid off again. The extended family is now stocked up and I'll have some left to try smoking now. FYI, I was running one halibut line and had the downrigger out with a spoon running for salmon. The shipping lanes off Oak Bay had a steady flow of salmon running in the 35-85 and some down to 120ft. One salmon about 5-10lbs jumped close behind my boat about, so it wasn't kelp or cod on the sounder.
Just curious, but what size and type of hooks do you use for the salmon heads?

Back