Braid vs Steel

Murry

I'm thinking about changing out my downrigger from steel cable to braid. I was wondering what people think of braid vs the conventional steel cable. Thought I'd get some feedback before I make the change.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

prefer braid here also. stainless will still corrode in the odd spot and you'll eventually lose balls with it if you don't replace ever few years.

I'm thinking about changing out my downrigger from steel cable to braid. I was wondering what people think of braid vs the conventional steel cable. Thought I'd get sodback before I make the change.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
I changed to braid several years ago and I would never go back either. However, you should know that although braid does not rot nor rust, it is not as abrasion resistant. Make sure you check your boom pulley wheel at the beginning of each season to make sure it rotates freely as the braid will cut grooves into the wheel if not, and with multiple grooves, that surface becomes like sand paper and the braid is at risk of being cut. Also, with braid, the usual Scotty stoppers will not stay on very well, even the orange stoppers will need to be super glued to stay. The other option is to tie swivels on as stoppers. Use the Palomar knot to tie on the swivels and snubber/bungee. If you decide to make the switch, I suggest you get at least 200# test and when you wind on the braid, run the braid through a pulley hooked to a downrigger ball. As you load the braid, apply enough pressure on the spool to lift the downrigger ball off the ground. Braid needs to be loaded with pressure or else it can cut into itself. Braid is expensive, but you only need about 100 to 125 yards per downrigger.

Take a 5' piece of Gangion cord and tie a loop knot at one end.
(the other end goes to the cannonball)
Then tie the braid into the loop. The knot becomes a stopper and you never have to worry about beads.

Switched to heaviest braid when it first came out, would never go back to stainless.

Good advise from tailwalker to watch your boom pulleys to make sure they are rotating.

Was having trouble with the stops moving at first but started using two in line, that took care of the slippage, and the stops are cheap.

X3 and while your at it tie the downrigger clip at the same knot and never lose a clip again.

Switched one rigger to braid left one on steel dont notice much difference other than braid is harder to work with. Stops ride up the rigger so stacking requires tricks. If the ball is off it jumps off the pulley all the time. So you need to watch the abrasion. It just a new ball game, once you dial it in I'm sure it works great. I wont be switching over the other rigger at all. Probably switch back to steel, just easier for me, crimp and go.

Steel for me..I like the singing wire and the tone changes when a fish hit.

Steel for me..I like the singing wire and the tone changes when a fish hit.

Singing wire, ya, I like that too. That sound makes me all edgy and excited for some reason. LOL
Never switching to braid. I get donkey's years out of good quality stainless.

I have steel on one and steel on the other. I find both work fine so long as you double the stoppers. I find that the blowback on braid is about the only issue. Having said that I have a a new spool of braid waiting to be used soon as the stainless gets shorter than 150ft.

Happy with steel and I get many seasons out of a spool. Much more forgiving when gear gets tangled in the wire or other mishaps happen. See no reason to change.

Back