Buying a new boat... advice?

dfrase

Hi Folks,

We are upgrading from our 14ft whaler and looking at purchasing a boat in the 18-21ft range. Looking for something used that is ready to go and will not need to buy kicker, electronics, etc. We are based out of Vic and budget is $25-$35k. We have all the fishing gear/riggers. Purpose of the boat is a good family boat (two little ones) but primarily fishing/prawning/crabbing. Will be splitting it's time down here and up island (eastcoast side).

Biggest question i have at the moment is aluminum vs fibreglass. I have done my homework on both and am really interested in either a used hewescraft/TJ vs a striper/trophy style. Really like DE's as well. not fussy on brand but using those as an example. Will be pulling it with a Ram 1500 hemi.

Wondering if any of the members out there have experience with both aluminum and fibreglass and would like to share their insights. feel free to PM me if you like.

PS - did i mention i am EXCITED.

cheers,
dfrase

Last edited:
I'd say you'll get more amenities in a glass boat for your $, and having a head and cuddy will probably be important with the family. I've never owned a glass boat but they arguably ride better in rough water. Downside is that rot is a reality on a used glasser, and generally (although not true in every case) glass boats are heavier/need more power for the same sized rig. Aluminum boats are a lot more resistant to debris strikes than glass.

With two little ones it's nice to run up on beaches so they don't get too bored trolling, break up the day. Aluminum is great for that, something to consider.

I would by glass in that price range. A double eagle with newer power would be perfect. A trophy is good bang for the buck. A metal boat in that price range is a hot commodity but keep a close watch u may find one

i know few guys who may be selling their rigs
will do a few calls....

Check out Arima boats. They are bit lighter, dont need as much power and are therefore easier to trailer and cheaper on fuel than other similar sized glass boat. Tuff to come by good used ones up here but keep an eye on used sites for wash/oregon. Also I believe they don't have same dry rot issues as other glass boats due to way hull is built. Great for fishing especially if not looking to go into goo on the outside which you're likely not into if with family.

Arima is a good family boat, stable however not as fast as a deep v in bumpy water. With kids I would get a Sea Ranger rather than Chaser as it has a 6' cuddy great for them to play in.

I have two young girls (4 and 6) and they absolutely love the cuddy cabin. We do fishing, day trips, and beach camping off the malibu 185 and its pretty good at everything in my opinion. Beaching is the trickiest part, but not too bad when you figure out the system. We use a bungee anchor to hold the bow pointing out and a stern line to hold close to shore. Its easy enough hop over the stern and wade with the kids and gear to shore. You need to rig something like this up for an aluminum too if you are hitting beaches anywhere along the ferry routes. The wakes will beat up the boat and swamp it if your are up against the shore when they roll in.

When the kids get bored of fishing, sightseeing or get sleepy from the rocking, they love to crawl into the cuddy to sleep, play or watch a movie on the tablet. Saves me having to head in early because of miserable kids. Having the portapottie in the bow certainly helps too.

I also like Arima boats, 17' Seachaser is an ideal boat for inside waters.
They don't come up for sale often and rarely last more than a few hours.
the poor Canadian dollar makes it difficult for affordability.

I have a Striper ('03 2101). Well built, solid deep hull. Very stable. Nice sized cuddy - I'm 6'4 and can stand up in mine. Probably placed between a Trophy and a Grady.

Based on the used boat market right now and your budget I would saw you will need to buy fiberglass the price of used aluminum boats is very high. A fiberglass boat will be perfect for your needs. Don't rule out the Campion Explorer models. Great family boats as well. You really have to think about seating. I have a family of 4 and love my 2 sleeper seats because everyone has a seat. Yeah I could get pedestal and there would be more room for fishing but this is a family boat. Most walk around boats have two captains seats this makes it tough for a family. I do like the bench seats most aluminum boats have gives it more seating as well.

https://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/boa/6172159735.html jump on this wouldn't be surprised if it's sold already.

Hi Folks,

We are upgrading from our 14ft whaler and looking at purchasing a boat in the 18-21ft range. Looking for something used that is ready to go and will not need to buy kicker, electronics, etc. We are based out of Vic and budget is $25-$35k. We have all the fishing gear/riggers. Purpose of the boat is a good family boat (two little ones) but primarily fishing/prawning/crabbing. Will be splitting it's time down here and up island (eastcoast side).

Biggest question i have at the moment is aluminum vs fibreglass. I have done my homework on both and am really interested in either a used hewescraft/TJ vs a striper/trophy style. Really like DE's as well. not fussy on brand but using those as an example. Will be pulling it with a Ram 1500 hemi.

Wondering if any of the members out there have experience with both aluminum and fibreglass and would like to share their insights. feel free to PM me if you like.

PS - did i mention i am EXCITED.

cheers,
dfrase
PM sent

Check out craigslist Oregon ( No state sale tax) or Washington state, sure the dollar exchange needs to be taken into account but there's lots of boats for sale for far less than B.C. and it's not that hard to bring them across the border.

Back