Line puller recommendations

aheny

I'm looking to get a new line puller. I've only ever used Scotty's, and I'd prefer something more automatic, where I can just focus on spooling the line instead of pulling on the puller. Any recommendations?

I'm looking to get a new line puller. I've only ever used Scotty's, and I'd prefer something more automatic, where I can just focus on spooling the line instead of pulling on the puller. Any recommendations?

Why do you pull on the puller? Wrap the rope around the drum twice or even three times if you want to and you don't have to put a single bit of tension at all on the rope with your hand. All you have to do is coil the rope in a bin. Zero tension on the rope coming on board.

I set 4 lines out with two traps on each and each with 450' of lead line and 20 lbs of weight on each set and the scotty pulls it up without any hesitation even in a strong tide with strong wind blowing me off of center over the traps as I pull them.

I had a an Ace and sold it to buy the Scotty mainly because of the all metal, larger profile of the Ace. Cut my hand on the Ace once real good and my buddy got his finger jammed in between the pulley wheel and the shaft on the Ace another time. Love the Scotty. Low profile, strong, no sharp edges, mounts on to the scotty base and also looks nice.

Why do you pull on the puller? Wrap the rope around the drum twice or even three times if you want to and you don't have to put a single bit of tension at all on the rope with your hand. All you have to do is coil the rope in a bin. Zero tension on the rope coming on board.

I set 4 lines out with two traps on each and each with 450' of lead line and 20 lbs of weight on each set and the scotty pulls it up without any hesitation even in a strong tide with strong wind blowing me off of center over the traps as I pull them.

I had a an Ace and sold it to buy the Scotty mainly because of the all metal, larger profile of the Ace. Cut my hand on the Ace once real good and my buddy got his finger jammed in between the pulley wheel and the shaft on the Ace another time. Love the Scotty. Low profile, strong, no sharp edges, mounts on to the scotty base and also looks nice.
You're the only person I've heard refer to a Scotty as being hands free. I guess I'd have to see it, because I've tried many times.

You're the only person I've heard refer to a Scotty as being hands free. I guess I'd have to see it, because I've tried many times.
A few fella's were talking about it on another thread a few days ago here. Just wrap the line around the pulley two or three times. If your traps are jammed up on a reef or something and won't pull up the scotty motor will stop (like as if a breaker blew) but as soon as it's not jammed up it will turn again. Never had it blow a breaker and I've been jammed up on a reef before real good where I had to tie off my prawn line to a cleat and pull it free with my boat then put it back on the puller.

Ace Line Haulers are a great product and have amazing warranties/service...I don't think you could beat how they stand behind their pullers

Never used a Scotty but seen them in action and I would stick with my ace with hands free plus the new ace is supposed to be faster with the new motor upgrade. Plus it coils so nicely with hands free straight into your storage container

I have had an ace for years......replaced the switch a few times but they always sent me a new one. I'm a big fan of Scotty and buying local but I don't like their pullers. The ace is just physically a better design as opposed to pulling traps into the bottom of your boat.

My two

Have an ACE and prefer it over the Scotty because it gets the trap higher up and farther out from the boat so it requires less lifting and struggling by my buddies to get the trap on to the corner of the boat while not damaging the hull and with less chance of injury to aging backs. We use large and very heavy ex-commercial traps and when they are loaded up with crab they are extremely heavy and awkward.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the great tips everyone. It looks like an ace is in the cards.
Now all I have left to figure out is radar...

Sorry , love my scotty riggers , but dont waste your money on the Scotty Puller ,
i ve ran ace line haulers for 12 years ,, and have been used HARD , no issues , i take care of them , always rinsed when done , 1 switch changed was it ,
changed it out for free , great service
buddy pulled my set once with his scotty out west , no comparison ,
just upgraded to the new high torque model , its incredible , cant beat it for the price $500-$600 range

http://acelinehauler.com/brutus-max-torque-scotty-compatible

Brutus_Max_Torque_Hauler-1.jpg

fd

Back