One side trailer brakes hot

Airon

Tandem axel trailer with surge brakes, both drums on one side only ever get warm, both drums on other side get smoking hot. Definitely drums, not bearings. All brake assemblies have been disassembled and checked, and adjusted, all work fine when tested individually when jacked up and break away is actuated. Stumped as to why one side gets so hot and other doesn't??? Trailer seems to stop fine when being towed

You will never get 4 drum brakes with a surge actuator on a boat trailer to share braking power equally, no matter how well you believe you have adjusted them. Have you checked the pads? Possibly the cooler side has less friction due to glazed over pads, maybe they have been contaminated with bearing grease?
I had the same setup and changed to electric over hydraulic disk brakes. I would never deal with drums again.

Drums don't warp like rotors will...I'll bet you have wheel cylinder pistons hanging up and not fully releasing...so the shoes are dragging. It may take the weight of the boat on a hard stop to extend the wheel cylinder piston out far enough where it will get stuck.

Drums don't warp like rotors will...I'll bet you have wheel cylinder pistons hanging up and not fully releasing...so the shoes are dragging. It may take the weight of the boat on a hard stop to extend the wheel cylinder piston out far enough where it will get stuck.

X2-wheel cylinder-you can get a kit and emery paper but not really worth the hassle-buy a new one and you are good to go. On average even the new aluminum cylinders will only do 3 to 4 years-if they are steel the time is shorter. We store our trailers too much-if we drove them more and got those cylinders moving they would last far longer.

Back