2017 DFO cutbacks

Sounds like BS to me.

Unless I read that wrong, the usual approach will be taken. Cut where there is real world benefits on the ground and add more admin positions.

Someone shake this POS department up.

GET RID OF DFO period. Let BC take over all of its own fish and wildlife management. Is that actually possible?

(my mp just got an email)

https://twitter.com/mossomcreek/status/869436197780602880
After a wkend of fretting over @DFO_Pacific cuts to Salmonid Enhancement Prog., a surprise gift for Mossom from kids. Kids value our work.

DBDblLCUwAAkdXP.jpg

Thanks, Nog. Just signed and submitted. I also sent a letter to my local federal MP and asked for explanation/remedy. Below are a few blurbs of my letter:

"While this is a poor decision which will have major domino affects on other programs and habitat protection initiatives in BC's coastal and interior regions, it will also put the economy of the coastal communities and people's jobs at risk. First Nations also depend on salmon as a food source, and will also be adversely affected by this decision.
For coastal communities of British Columbia and First Nations, potential environmental risks from the Kinder Morgan pipeline along with the recent budget cuts to the wild salmon protection and educational programs are seen as decisions of the Federal Liberal party that resemble those of of Mr. Harper's conservative government.

In light of the recent changes in British Columbia's political landscape and the wants and needs of people of British Columbia, it is important that the Department of Fisheries finds the required savings from other sources and reinstates the funds to salmon habitat protection and education program as soon as possible
."

Bitching on online forums doesn't fix any problems. If you care about your fish and your kids, pick up the phone and call your MP's office or send a letter/email and voice your concerns.

Signed and shared Nog. And a letter sent to my MP.

One of the first jobs I had after moving to BC some forty-six years ago was stump blaster along new forest road ROWs. The fallers would go through then we would follow blasting the stumps so the old cable shovels could dig the grade. At the time I knew nothing about wild salmon life cycle or the damage we were doing. On one trip we were delayed by a crew of Cats, loaders and dump trucks hauling gravel up to the road from a steam bed. As the trucks pulled out onto the mainline there was water and little squiggly things sluicing out of their tailgates. No one showed any concern. It took years before I twigged on what was happening at the time.
Ignorance is bliss.
Education is the foundation of responsible decision-making.

I spoke to our MP, Pamela Goldsmith-Jones yesterday. She is working to have the cuts to the Restoration Resource Unit and SEP restored and is asking that we send as many letter as possible voicing our concerns about the cuts for her to take to Fisheries Minister LeBlanc. She’s asked that the following email address be used for the letters:

pam.goldsmith-jones.a2@parl.gc.ca

Thanks!

Back