A Plethora of Pyrosomes

Good to hear Matt, speedy recovery

All will be good.
Just think about how lucky you are to be able to have this procedure done.
Wasn't that long ago that they were not able to do this.

Lying on your back for days can be really boring, however nothing compared to getting your site back.

Hang in there Nog. Modern medicine and the human bodys ability to rebound can be pretty incredible. Hope it all works itself out and youre 100% again in no time!

This has been quite the shock. Still has me nervous, but less so than when it started. Decided to wander around to deliver a quick update...

At this point I am still "bed-ridden". Head must remain in a certain position for the vast majority of the day (and night). That presses the gas bubble up against the repair areas and helps it to heal. Two more days of that... Already bored beyond belief...

Two set of eye drops multiple times daily. Antibiotics, steroids, and a beta-blocker to reduce pressure / swelling inside the eye. Interesting trying to get them in there with only the other eye to aim with.

Already starting to seem some distorted colors and very fuzzy images. Likely be a few more weeks before those swim a little closer into view.
SawBones suggested I might be able to return to work (fishing) by mid August.

With regard to shooting heavy recoiling rifles...

Doc said "we'll have to have a rather serious chat about that down the line". I explained that our plans included a hunt in the latter part of August and the intended targets included Grizz (translating 300 Weatherby Magnum). All he would say is "we'll talk"... Suppose I might have to look into one of those muzzle brakes after all...

Well, that's where we sit for now. Best be getting back to the day bed and stare at the ceiling again. Did want to say Thanks again to all those thinking of me and forwarding such fine words of encouragement... Back atcha as I am able...

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for the update Matt-one thing about Beta Blockers they can produce small 'floaters/lines' in your vision completely harmless and they go away on their own in a few minutes.

source-have taken Beta Blockers for 25 years seen a lot of stuff 'float by'.

Don’t know if you have family support down here in Victoria Matt, but if not or you need anything delivered just let me know. I have spent my fair share of time in both Victoria hospitals and I know the hospital food is challenging. Some food being brought in from a good local deli once in a while kept me going. Send me a private message with your cell # if you need anything, - would be happy to get it and drop it off.

For the first time since the surgery, I can kind of "see" the gas bubble that was inserted into my eye to keep it inflated.
Appears to have shrunk perhaps 1/5 of it's original diameter.
Now we wait for it to dissipate completely...

Fledgling step, but a positive one methinks... :D

Cheers,
Nog The Hopeful

For the first time since the surgery, I can kind of "see" the gas bubble that was inserted into my eye to keep it inflated.
Appears to have shrunk perhaps 1/5 of it's original diameter.
Now we wait for it to dissipate completely...

Fledgling step, but a positive one methinks... :D

Cheers,
Nog The Hopeful
Thinking and hoping positive thoughts for a full recovery!! Don't dwell on what them Grizz are thinking and hoping for!! A savage bunchLOL

Hello Folks,

We traveled down to Victoria yesterday to meet once again with the surgeon who operated on my right eye a little better than a week ago.
Here are the findings:

The retina that had detached from the wall of the eye has been successfully re-attached, and is continuing to heal.
That process will require another few weeks to be certain, but it looks as thought it is cooperating well.
That's the good news...

The very center of the back of the retina holds by far the most nerve endings in an area termed the macula.
As such it is responsible for both central and sharp vision.
The macula of my right eye has a hole in it - described much like a "paper punch" or "bullet hole".
It is assumed that this occurred when the retina detached a couple weeks ago.
Left uncorrected, this will "grossly distort" (read make seeing impossible) both central vision and all fine vision in that eye.

The doctor wants to wait until the retina overall has healed some more (suggested ~ 3 weeks).
Then is proposing another very complicated surgery.
That will require opening up the eye once again, conducting the work directly on the macula, once again inserting another gas ball to keep it inflated, and another series of weeks to heal sufficiently to know if that is successful.
Dr. Erasmus did note he is "reasonably confident" that this will address that issue.

Finally, if and when the eye heals from that process, he wants to conduct further surgery to deal with the cataracts they found in that eye while undergoing these procedures. If we get that far, this would be the least intrusive procedure of the lot.

Of course I agreed to all of this.
There is no other choice.

The Doc also said not to cancel my plans for heading back offshore in August, nor hunting in the fall.
I love his optimism, and wish I shared it completely with him.

A little worried once again as you might guess.
The road to recovery just got a little longer it seems...

Wish me luck folks, appears I need a little more to beat this thing...
Matt

Hello Folks,

We traveled down to Victoria yesterday to meet once again with the surgeon who operated on my right eye a little better than a week ago.
Here are the findings:

The retina that had detached from the wall of the eye has been successfully re-attached, and is continuing to heal.
That process will require another few weeks to be certain, but it looks as thought it is cooperating well.
That's the good news...

The very center of the back of the retina holds by far the most nerve endings in an area termed the macula.
As such it is responsible for both central and sharp vision.
The macula of my right eye has a hole in it - described much like a "paper punch" or "bullet hole".
It is assumed that this occurred when the retina detached a couple weeks ago.
Left uncorrected, this will "grossly distort" (read make seeing impossible) both central vision and all fine vision in that eye.

The doctor wants to wait until the retina overall has healed some more (suggested ~ 3 weeks).
Then is proposing another very complicated surgery.
That will require opening up the eye once again, conducting the work directly on the macula, once again inserting another gas ball to keep it inflated, and another series of weeks to heal sufficiently to know if that is successful.
Dr. Erasmus did note he is "reasonably confident" that this will address that issue.

Finally, if and when the eye heals from that process, he wants to conduct further surgery to deal with the cataracts they found in that eye while undergoing these procedures. If we get that far, this would be the least intrusive procedure of the lot.

Of course I agreed to all of this.
There is no other choice.

The Doc also said not to cancel my plans for heading back offshore in August, nor hunting in the fall.
I love his optimism, and wish I shared it completely with him.

A little worried once again as you might guess.
The road to recovery just got a little longer it seems...

Matt

Best of luck to you. i as well am dealing with some visual issues, although there is no cure or surgery for mine. :( Stay positive, and you will still be able to enjoy good quality of life even if the eye doesn't completely recover. i know lots of guys with one eye that are still driving etc. you need a 120 degree field of vision to qualify for a drivers license. i don't quite meet the requirements anymore. best of luck matt

Hello Folks,

Matt
All the luck in the world to you Matt! I did 9 months chemo 15 years ago and I learned as long as the Docs are making positive noises you are heading in the right direction and if they start talking in terms of the status quo then you and they are starting to have to come to grips with the unknown. You are still on the right path!!

Best wishes, Matt. We look forward to many more fishing/hunting tales in years to come. I hope it detached while you were shooting marauding furbags, rather than a fluke accident. Don't answer that one.

Good luck Matt. All the best wishes heading your way. Looking forward to hearing all went well and just needing some time to heal.

Oly

All the luck in the world to you Matt! I did 9 months chemo 15 years ago and I learned as long as the Docs are making positive noises you are heading in the right direction and if they start talking in terms of the status quo then you and they are starting to have to come to grips with the unknown. You are still on the right path!!

X2. I'm an orthopedic surgeon for my day job. The "making positive noises" is right on!

Good luck. Prayers and thoughts your way...

Howard

Matt

Good luck Matt. A friend @ 70 yrs just had that done. Says a new lease on life for him... wishing you the same.

Thanks again Folks. Days are sure passing slow for what would normally be damn near the fastest time of year for me. Still holding out hope though...

A friend @ 70 yrs just had that done. Says a new lease on life for him... wishing you the same.

The detached retina, although a pain in the butt and time consuming, is almost standard procedure these days.
Cataract surgery, as your buddy likely discovered, and my Pa did just recently in his eighties, is often referred to as miraculous. It too has come leaps and bounds, and from I can determine is actually something to look forward to...

The Macula situation on the other hand is exceedingly delicate & technical. It has only been the last couple of years they have been able to do anything in that regard. And so, the procedure is still very much in it's fledgling stages...

Looking around the remnants of the gas bubble in that eye, the vision is incredibly distorted / contorted. It would appear that Picasso was a realist. I simply can't imagine going through life with it like that. And so, therein lies the HOPE that the confidence & optimism expressed by my Surgeon is well founded. His rep is outstanding, so just perhaps he can work his magic for me as well...

Time will tell...

Thanks again Folks.
Nog

Back