10 day trip heading north from Tofino - Advice?

islandergold

Hi Everyone, hoping to get some thoughts on how best to spend a 10 day trip leaving Tofino/Ucluelet in the 2nd week of July. The agenda is completely open and the main goal is fishing - we're likely going to head North though, not South. We're in a 30ft Whaler with enclosed cabin and rigged to fish and we're all very experienced northwest boaters. This is a bit of a dream trip so wondering if anyone has any advice or tips? I have fished my whole life from Bamfield south to Victoria but never been north so would love to hear any advice, tips on where to spend more time and where to blow by. Any tips outside of fishing would be great as well. Cheers!

We did a trip 2 years ago from Gold River up the inside all the way to Kyuquot. Great trip lived on the boat for the whole trip.

fished all around the rock 30 years now - you are in for a treat IMO..current
boat has circumnavigated Van Isle both directions now.

i would do inside to Sydney Hot springs, round Estevan and skip Nootka
Ferrer is ledgendary if open to surfline fishing
lots of great surfline, rock and hiway fishing all the way to Walters Cove. I would round Brooks to cut the herd down and fish as far as Winter Hbr then point the beak home.
two words - salt ice !!!!!!

i will be coming home the opposite way September ish....

good luck

you have a great boat for a trip like this

X2 on the salted Ice

fished all around the rock 30 years now - you are in for a treat IMO..current
boat has circumnavigated Van Isle both directions now.

i would do inside to Sydney Hot springs, round Estevan and skip Nootka
Ferrer is ledgendary if open to surfline fishing
lots of great surfline, rock and hiway fishing all the way to Walters Cove. I would round Brooks to cut the herd down and fish as far as Winter Hbr then point the beak home.
two words - salt ice !!!!!!

i will be coming home the opposite way September ish....

good luck

you have a great boat for a trip like this
Thanks TomicTime. Very helpful. You're basically saying head north asap and drop your first line around Ferrer Pt. and fish your way to Winter Hbr? Any idea how many nights that trip would take each way? Is there enough shelter along the way to just find a cove and drop anchor for the night or do you recommend a well oiled agenda with marinas, etc.? Also, do you say skip Nootka due to the crowds or is the fishing just better further north?

Lastly, is early to mid-July a well timed trip or are most fish still hanging off shore?

Cheers

I'm envious. If your boat has a magnetic compass, head West about 290*. If you go North, you'll hit a lot of rocks, well maybe just one. Check the RCAs too.

Just follow Fishtofino around he will show you where to go, oh and he likes it when you wear a Leafs jersey while fishing :D

love Tofino also
call it Gucci Fish Camp best art, bakery , spa and offshore fishery on the Island, probably the planet !!!
you might want to get Don & Renee Douglas excellent book on cruising Van Isle.
as for marinas tyere aint many..
Tofino
Critter Cove
Thasis
Zeballos
Walters Cove
Winter Hbr

plan well

Back