Guide busted poaching. Really !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its too bad there wasn't a "sliding scale" wrt repeat offenses. !st one small fine. Second one large fine and/or small bit jail. Third time - seizure. 4th - well throw the book at him...

This is the way absolutely.
It is called the step wise principle of sentencing. Each conviction should attract a larger sentence than the previous one. After four in a relative short time, should attract near the maximum.

IMO..hes a "Professional"(sic) guide that sounds to have a track record (not 1st offence) of breaking the law.

The maximum penalty should be sent to people like this and maybe it was.

Maybe this bit of public shaming on forums will help deter others also in the future.

Suspending his sport fishing privileges (license) would be appropriate. The offence was committed using the privilege of a sport fishing license. Take away the license, problem solved. Why there was no penalty involving the Federal License is a mystery. Good lawyer or dumb Prosecutor?

Looks to me that Fed Fish took a plea deal. His privilege to have a sport fishing license should have been revoked. If the people we pay to enforce the rules are that lax then we need some new fish cops.

I think you're having trouble understanding my point, we don't know how many past offences he has...if you do enlighten us and explain how you know. As far as I know this is his second. If you think he should essentially be fined 150k for that, you need to get your head a hard shake, or hand off the beer sculpy. Of course I know better, 95% of people know better. But that doesn't mean you take away a truck and boat (essentially a 150+K fine), which was stated here earlier and what I disagree with. He should of gotten a larger sentence, no doubt, but what was stated in regards to his truck and boat is crazy for a second offence and 8 crab over limit. How could you say differently? Lot of keyboard warriors and people on their high horse to request a 150K fine for that offence. Taken away tidal waters license privileges I could see...150K fine essentially is stupid.

Most trials are essentially two phases, a finding which is Guilt or Innocence, followed by mitigation where a punishment is applied. All we know is what the finding was. We can only speculate as to what arguments were made by his defence attorney, or what personal circumstances played into awarding the fine that they did.

I think we all agree that poaching needs to be stopped and we would like to see more enforcement but without hearing all the circumstances, it's hard to say whether or not the punishment is appropriate. I would thing as a professional guide his reputation would take a beating, his business would take a hit, his credibility amongst his peers is lost, plus he gets fined and likely comes under more scrutiny by DFO and everyone else in the future.

Most trials are essentially two phases, a finding which is Guilt or Innocence, followed by mitigation where a punishment is applied. All we know is what the finding was. We can only speculate as to what arguments were made by his defence attorney, or what personal circumstances played into awarding the fine that they did.

I think we all agree that poaching needs to be stopped and we would like to see more enforcement but without hearing all the circumstances, it's hard to say whether or not the punishment is appropriate. I would thing as a professional guide his reputation would take a beating, his business would take a hit, his credibility amongst his peers is lost, plus he gets fined and likely comes under more scrutiny by DFO and everyone else in the future.
I doubt that most potential or previous clients even know this has happened.

I think you're having trouble understanding my point, we don't know how many past offences he has...if you do enlighten us and explain how you know. As far as I know this is his second. If you think he should essentially be fined 150k for that, you need to get your head a hard shake, or hand off the beer sculpy. Of course I know better, 95% of people know better. But that doesn't mean you take away a truck and boat (essentially a 150+K fine), which was stated here earlier and what I disagree with. He should of gotten a larger sentence, no doubt, but what was stated in regards to his truck and boat is crazy for a second offence and 8 crab over limit. How could you say differently? Lot of keyboard warriors and people on their high horse to request a 150K fine for that offence. Taken away tidal waters license privileges I could see...150K fine essentially is stupid.

I did a Court Services Online search (anyone can do this) and this is the only Provincial court result for him.

So are people wrongfully accusing this guy of multiple offences?? If so, this thread is getting a bit ridiculous.

Coming in with 12 crab is unacceptable but does anyone know the full story??

I don't think it's fair to jump all over someone because they are a "guide". It doesn't sound like he was guiding at the time of the offence so he's actually a rec fishermen in this scenario.

Rec fishermen, guide, commercial fishermen..... poaching isn't more or less acceptable depending on which "group" you're in. Just my 2 cents.

So are people wrongfully accusing this guy of multiple offences??

It was stated in an article (I think on CTV's website) that this was not his first violation.

Does anyone know what is kind of a standard charge/sentence for being over your limit?

I wonder if he is doing anything for reparations. admitting you are wrong and then going above and beyond could be a great idea in this situation. perhaps a donation to a fishing rehab charity or something to assist in funding dfo enforcement?

Bit excessive for 12 extra crab to say take his truck and boat, holy crap. If he had 100 crab then maybe but otherwise simmer down there.

Maybe its a bit excessive... but I would think someone with 30 years fishing experience would know better and would be setting an example for everyone to follow.

Poor guy, he only poached twice his whole life and both times he got caught. What are the odds?!?!

my thought exactly... I wonder what else he has done in his career that's questionable...

I doubt that most potential or previous clients even know this has happened.
Perhaps not, but in the age of Social Media I wouldn't count on it.

Holy crap. Wheres the burning brooms and pitch forks.
Time to set the record straight for you brave souls.

1. I have 2 witnesses that were guests on 'Poacher Alert's boat a couple years back, who will testify that after catching 6 chinook, they marked their licenses but he blatantly did not record his 2 chinook on his licencse.

2. Mr. Steinbach's wife and 2 kids were to join him on this day but decided at the last minute to go to the store while he went out in rough seas. He wrongly chose to keep a 4 person limit (do the math) and he had his day in court and paid his fine. He does not sell crabs or seafood of any kind, he feeds his family.

3. His other infractions were cleaning 4 legal crabs at the dock last year while being witnessed by a DFO officer. 4 separate counts.

You guys are gutless and out of control.

Reactions: NDT
I have a wife and two kids! I do not ever take there limit home unless they are on board and even then very rarely.

I clean my crabs at home because that's the rules. I also fillet my salmon at home because that's the rules. Every time I go to the cleaning station to gut my fish there are guys filleting and or cleaning crabs.

Remember these are just the bad decisions he was caught making and probably not his only ones.

Your right though he had is day in court and paid his fines. Hopefully in the future he will not continue to make bad decisions.

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back