2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Yes at the risk of getting beat up I talked to them and explained how bad it was to trasport live fish and suggested they kill them then get a copy of regs. I was more dumbfounded how they managed their limit of legal size fish at QA. Bass Pro probobly told them how awesome the live well is etc. and they didn't know any better,the older guy said he is just getting back into fishing local.

Waterspout watch in effect
Strait of Georgia
Issued 3:28 PM PDT 04 May 2017Conditions are favourable for the development of waterspouts.

An area of thunderstorms moving north along the Washington coastline has potential to produce waterspouts this evening over Haro Strait, eastern section of Juan de Fuca Strait, Howe Sound, and southern sections of the Strait of Georgia.

Wind speeds inside the spray ring of a waterspout are 45 knots or higher. Vulnerable vessels are at risk of damage or capsizing. Keep in mind that waterspouts cannot be seen at night and may strike suddenly. Waterspouts are generally short-lived in nature, typically lasting 20 minutes or less.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. For more information monitor Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.

Yes at the risk of getting beat up I talked to them and explained how bad it was to trasport live fish and suggested they kill them then get a copy of regs. I was more dumbfounded how they managed their limit of legal size fish at QA. Bass Pro probobly told them how awesome the live well is etc. and they didn't know any better,the older guy said he is just getting back into fishing local.

The QA has had legals for quite a while.... they could have been 4 miles from the QA and called it that. I have tubbed 2 guests at the QA before at this time of year....not often but it has happened.

I say Observe record and report and let them do the duty.

I used to point out BS in person but not any more...I just let nature take it's course and eventually the authorities catch up with those people.

The QA has had legals for quite a while.... they could have been 4 miles from the QA and called it that. I have tubbed 2 guests at the QA before at this time of year....not often but it has happened.

I say Observe record and report and let them do the duty.

I used to point out BS in person but not any more...I just let nature take it's course and eventually the authorities catch up with those people.

What I don't understand is why DFO doesn't hang out at the ramps, instead they choose to put 4 officers in a Zodiac and bomb around checking out boats fishing. Poaching would pretty much come to a stop and all that money collected could go to hatcheries.

What I don't understand is why DFO doesn't hang out at the ramps, instead they choose to put 4 officers in a Zodiac and bomb around checking out boats fishing. Poaching would pretty much come to a stop and all that money collected could go to hatcheries.

They do spend time at launches....the issue is how much money they have budgeted for enforcement activities....which is a small sum....it's a joke.

Reports sound like broken records.. But yesterday, out at thrasher with 2 guests, landed close to 15 fish, hooked into 20 easy, kept 5, lost a bunch. Two of them fought like 15lb'ers, but all keepers were 27-30''. Spoons and hootchies as usual. Don't see the need spending money on bait. These fish aren't picky.

We were out yesterday, what a gorgeous day to be on the water. Fished S. Bowen 7am-11am then decided to run to pull our prawn traps and head to the Bell. Pulled the first set of traps and had ~75 prawns. Pulled the second set of traps and BAM - I've been burglarized - my traps were not only clipped in a different place on the rope (I clip them on a loop in the rope) but they were cleaned out and left open. Even took the bait jar out. It was pretty disappointing that someone would take the time to clean out the traps and drop them back in - why not just take the traps as well? It's the equivalent of breaking into a house, removing your shoes, having a shower and washing the tub out before stealing the jewelry - WTF is up with people???

Nonetheless it was a great day - got a nice spring and took home 7 gorgeous crabs....trifecta in effect (albeit 75+ prawns short) ;).

We fished yesterday at Thrasher. The algae was so bad, it made fishing a chore. We landed 4 keepers (nothing big) from 7:45 am to 1 pm. Spent most of the day trying to remove the line snot. We use 60 lb braid mainline with mono topshot and it seemed like the braid really attracted the algae (probably more friction than mono). Within 10 minutes of trolling the lines would be pretty gummed up. We were cycling four rods. Might be worth it to fish smaller diameter mono mainline during the bloom to try and mitigate. The good thing was sea conditions were epic and beers were cold!

We fished yesterday at Thrasher. The algae was so bad, it made fishing a chore. We landed 4 keepers (nothing big) from 7:45 am to 1 pm. Spent most of the day trying to remove the line snot. We use 60 lb braid mainline with mono topshot and it seemed like the braid really attracted the algae (probably more friction than mono). Within 10 minutes of trolling the lines would be pretty gummed up. We were cycling four rods. Might be worth it to fish smaller diameter mono mainline during the bloom to try and mitigate. The good thing was sea conditions were epic and beers were cold!
Yes it was brutal, my down rigger kept turning off because of the clumps on the line. I thought later I should lubricate lines with stuff we use for flyfishing.

Yes it was brutal, my down rigger kept turning off because of the clumps on the line. I thought later I should lubricate lines with stuff we use for flyfishing.
I hold a cloth around the line as the downrigger comes up and all the gunk stays on the cloth. Comes off the wire a lot better than mono. Not sure how it would be coming off of braid line on a rigger. Probably worse than wire I would think.

We were out yesterday, what a gorgeous day to be on the water. Fished S. Bowen 7am-11am then decided to run to pull our prawn traps and head to the Bell. Pulled the first set of traps and had ~75 prawns. Pulled the second set of traps and BAM - I've been burglarized - my traps were not only clipped in a different place on the rope (I clip them on a loop in the rope) but they were cleaned out and left open. Even took the bait jar out. It was pretty disappointing that someone would take the time to clean out the traps and drop them back in - why not just take the traps as well? It's the equivalent of breaking into a house, removing your shoes, having a shower and washing the tub out before stealing the jewelry - WTF is up with people???

Nonetheless it was a great day - got a nice spring and took home 7 gorgeous crabs....trifecta in effect (albeit 75+ prawns short) ;).

I won't put prawn traps down around Bowen at all anymore. Seems like ever since guys have been posting their prawning around Bowen the thefts have been increasing there more and more. The thieves I'm sure read these reports and hunt to steal around those areas. I've been cleaned out by the thieves there multiple times. Like you say I can tell by where my traps are clipped, zap straps cut, left open etc..they don't take the traps so they don't get caught with them on their boats.

Yesterday I prawned in a new spot tucked in by a little island near the gulf islands and I was close to another couple guys with their prawn traps. I'm pretty sure they were fishing near their traps cause I went by a couple times during the day and saw the same two guys doing repeat tacks by the traps. So I felt a bit safe that they were guarding their traps and that mine may be safe too. Still sucks thinking all day that you gotta worry about your traps.. Happy to report all was well and got a decent haul of 120 prawns. Not the limit but still a decent few meals.

A wall eh? Will that keep those scummy politicians over there in Victoria?
Which ones? Last I looked folks from all over BC were sending their choices to Victoria? You have to be more specific? Lol. Maybe the Island needs a wall to keep the rest of the provinces poor choices at home.

Back