Malibu Project

Most of the floor is back in. I used resin on the underside to protect against moisture and used 5200 and screws to secure it to the bulkheads.

image.jpg

I spent every night this week and this morning glassing the floor back in. I also cut a few holes in the floor and poured another litre of A/B foam in to firm it up a little more.

image.jpg

Slapped on some gel coat this afternoon. It felt dry dry so I jumped in to start putting some of the cabin back together, I should have waited until tomorrow as it wasn't quite dry...

image.jpg

Today was a long day! I took a well deserved brake this morning and hit the water at 6 am in my buddy's boat. We put some fresh salmon in the cooler and I was back home just after 11. I had a bite to eat and was back at the boat again... I got the bulk head back in place, all fuel lines hooked up, kicker rigged back up and both motors tested on the muffs.

image.jpg image.jpg

Today I ordered a second sea star helm and all the parts required to install as well as a custom aluminum bracket to bolt onto the bulkhead to mount the helm too! I also found out that my steering wheel for my main helm finally came in so I'll pick it up tomorrow. Tonight I installed both battery boxes and ruffed in all of the wiring (I am still going to organize this better)so I can finally test the motor tomorrow! I also hooked up 1 of my plotters I mounted it to a piece of starboard that I used 5200 to secure to the hull so I didn't have to put screws into the transom.

image.jpg image.jpg

I'm interested in how the 5200 holds up with the Starboard. I was told that no adhesive would work with Starboard.

Where will the blood , guts and rain water go ?

I left the hole that the bilge pump tubing goes through open and I am going to punch another 2.5 inch hole to the left of the access panel. both will drain directly into the bilge.

Tonight's test run was a bust... Got boat in the water ( it sits awsome! A good 2.5" higher in the butt end.) turned the ignition and the motor started on the first crank. 15 sec later she sputters out and stalls... I was able to gt it running again but when it started there was a big cloud of blue smoke then sputter sputter dead. I tried a few more times until the battery was dead. After I noticed that the fuel primer bulb was leaking a bit on both sides, marine mechanic recommended these special zip ties designed for gas lines... They will all be replaced with actual clamps and I will try again. Motor just recieved 300 hour service and was given a clean bill of health.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 143
Did you use all new fuel lines when you replaced the tank? I had a fuel supply issue after podding and it turned out that the liner in side the fuel hose separated and pushed up into the hose when inserting the barbs. Also, is that motor supposed to have a bulb? My verado doesn't use one.

You might also want to try rigging up a day tank. That was the first thing I was told to troubleshoot whether it was something with the motor or fuel supply.

So I went to the dealer that just did the 300 hr service to let them know my problems and after some discussion we decide it's probably the fuel pump. Mechanic give me a tool to hook up to pump to bleed air as well as a used spare if my pumps failed.

I hook the air bleeder up and turn the key on to engage the pump without starting The engine and all that comes out is gas fumes... Check fuel filter in engine and there is tons of fuel and pressure and bulb is rock hard. Run pump a couple more times and nothing but fumes.. It's got to be the fuel pump I think so I go ahead and put the used spare in and go through the same procedures and nothing but gas fumes again... WTF! This can't be happening... So I fart around for a bit and look at my pictures to make sure all hoses are in the same spot ( they were because I labeled them and made a drawing).

So I decide to go have a look at the pump I just removed, for ***** and giggles I decide to wrap my lips around the supply line side and blow and it's totally solid, so I try the outlet side and low and behold air moves through pump. I go over to the new pump I istalled and switched the hoses. Primed pump and out comes fuel from the air bleed! Turn the key and she fires up instantly... Makes me wonder how they tested the motor to do the service?

this is a picture of before with there special fuel clamps. Note fuel lines on bottom of pump.
image.jpg

Here is a picture of after with my hose clamps and fuel lines in new position.

image.jpg

All right. With the fuel pump issues sorted out it was time for the shake down! Boat fired up instantly so off I went. I didn't have the motor trimmed all the way down the first time I hammered it and the boat almost stood straight up in the air! I trimmed it down and tried again, the boat handles awesome! Jumps up on plane in what feels like one second. Top speed tonight was 39 knots at 5500 rpm. Not sure if I need to reprop as max RPM should be around 5800-6000. Anyways I'm never going to cruise around at that speed. Boat cruises at 27 knots at 4000 rpm and can stay on plane at 14 knots. ( it was just me on the boat with 1/2 tank fuel.)

image.jpg image.jpg

Picked up the aluminum console for the rear steering station today. Steering parts should be in tomorrow. I also rigged up the steering bracket for the kicker to the main. When the kicker is not in use you just pop off the quick disconnect and mount it to the bracket so kicker doesn't move around. When kicker is in use you move the quick disconnect to the main outboard.

image.jpg image.jpg

A job very well done....and that is exactly why I paid $6000 to have my tank replaced by Jenkins Marine!
My time, energy and drive isn't what it used to be!
:)

Thanks for pic! First fishing trip out went good exept on the run out the trim tab pump blew up ( my buddy was like what's all that red fluid back there) while I was trying to get boat back level. Kind of scary going 26 knots with the boat fully tipped to one side. I guess I need to pull it out and see if you can rebuild it. Anybody know if they make a seal kit or something for them.

Back