Service/maintenance on Amundson TMX5 reel

Resinrider

Wanted to do a little service on my TMX5 but couldn't find any info anywhere. Anyone know where to find maintenance info for these things. There's nothing wrong with it , but figured there must be some general maintenance that can be done to keep them running smooth.

Wanted to do a little service on my TMX5 but couldn't find any info anywhere. Anyone know where to find maintenance info for these things. There's nothing wrong with it , but figured there must be some general maintenance that can be done to keep them running smooth.

Not a bad idea to just look on Islander's site and mirror that process. Also check YouTube.

If yours is the carbon drag...not sure if anything needs to be done differently though. Try giving Amundson a call.

other than running them the wrong way and only issue having a clicker screw come undone on one
not had mine a apart so really boils down to how much salt get into/on your reels
my rods nearly always sit up top the tee top so get exposed to little salt spry when running and just a quick hose down after the trip is over and then stored away dry .....

since the TMX-5 is a sealed carbon disc drag not much should bother it ....
but a yearly clean down and a smear of graphite grease should be ample

think one of the biggest mistake islander owner people do is over flushing the reels with fresh water .

hence why they rust out the sealed bearings and why the reel is then creeping as the cork dries and shrinks
the smear of grease each time is worn away off the cork drag ...
thats just MHO

other than running them the wrong way and only issue having a clicker screw come undone on one
not had mine a apart so really boils down to how much salt get into/on your reels
my rods nearly always sit up top the tee top so get exposed to little salt spry when running and just a quick hose down after the trip is over and then stored away dry .....

since the TMX-5 is a sealed carbon disc drag not much should bother it ....
but a yearly clean down and a smear of graphite grease should be ample

think one of the biggest mistake islander owner people do is over flushing the reels with fresh water .

hence why they rust out the sealed bearings and why the reel is then creeping as the cork dries and shrinks
the smear of grease each time is worn away off the cork drag ...
thats just MHO
Agreed. The last couple of years I have just wiped mine down with a slightly damp rag to clean them off. I have had a lot less problems with them since then. I only have reel creep if I am fishing down 200 ft which I don't do very often

Speaking of reel creep...I used to run in a shared fleet where the reels were rarely serviced by the regular guide....then when there were multiple boats out...all of us guides used to swap all the creeping reels into his boat. We used to call him the "Creep"... lol... then it turned into "pedophile" because Pedophiles are creeps....we never called him a Pedophile to his face though...but he eventually thought something was up because we used to troll by him and watch him crank down on his drags while we just sat and smiled

Speaking of reel creep...I used to run in a shared fleet where the reels were rarely serviced by the regular guide....then when there were multiple boats out...all of us guides used to swap all the creeping reels into his boat. We used to call him the "Creep"... lol... then it turned into "pedophile" because Pedophiles are creeps....we never called him a Pedophile to his face though...but he eventually thought something was up because we used to troll by him and watch him crank down on his drags while we just sat and smiled
Arent you a nice guy.

Arent you a nice guy.

All in good old fun. Guides like to have a few pranks on eachother here and there. There was one morning when I put Bananas at the helm of the other guides boats when I was first off the dock.... Karma bit me in the butt that morning though as I was skunked.

On any dock with Islanders if you fish them hard, each week I used to open up a cold can of beer and start giving each reel a few minutes of attention with a clean an regrease---at least on the reels I used. A PITA when you're busy with everything else but at least I did something productive while drinking beer....

Hey Fellas,

I just got this from Amundson:

"One of the biggest features of our reels is that they don't require much in the way of maintenance.

1.Rinse with fresh cold water every so often to reduce any salt build up

2. If it's fished a lot ( guide, charter etc...) then every month or so take the spool apart from the frame and apply a little grease to the center spindle.

3. if fished under 50 times a year then once a year apply grease to spindle and springs.

That's it.

Soon we will be preparing replacement friction pad packages for the drag components as they will break down over time but that shouldn't be an issue yet."

Seems pretty straight forward, I wish I was in the category of those that are required to service it monthly ;)

Curtis

Back