18' Sangster renovation......input request

pinball90

Ok guys, here where I'm at.....I'm getting my hands on a 1975(I think) sangster. Not sure of model, but I think it's a cormorant. It currently has a 4.3L in it, that hasn't run for a LONG time. From what I've been told, mid nineties at the latest!!! To me, this boat looks ripe for a total strip down, renovation, and a pod. I'm in the VERY early stages of this endeavour, and I don't even have any pics of the boat yet. What I'm looking for out of this thread is a little help. I want to know, ballpark, what a pod should cost, and what I should be looking to do for re-enforcing the transom to handle the extra length/weight on the back end. Also, does anyone know of a good welder/ pod design shop on the North Island?

Before you buy. get yourself a 2# rubber mallet. Bang the hull, transom and stringers to find out how much work you have ahead of you. You want to hear pings, not thuds. Pods are usually $2500. Every now and then there are used ones around. gl and have fun.

Thanks for the info, I'm heading down to look at it this weekend. Will have a much better idea of what I'm up against after that. I think I'll get a pod built as I think a custom fit will suit my needs better than trying to rework something else in.

Having done this myself double what you think it will cost and then add 20% to that and then you will be close

I'm a sucker for a good project though. Lol

I'm in the process of doing a pod conversion right now. The pod I'm having built was quoted at $2700. Supplies for floor and fiberglass I'm into for close to $1000. The gas tank is pretty rotten and i don't think its salvageable there's another $600-700 and I haven't even found a new engine yet or started putting it back together...

I'm in the process of doing a pod conversion right now. The pod I'm having built was quoted at $2700. Supplies for floor and fiberglass I'm into for close to $1000. The gas tank is pretty rotten and i don't think its salvageable there's another $600-700 and I haven't even found a new engine yet or started putting it back together..
What kind of turnaround time are you getting on your pod, and what are you getting built? are you getting a full hull extension or a step up style? kicker bracket? swim grid?

Having done this myself double what you think it willcost and then add 20% to that and then you will be close

Yeah thats just the way things go eh....one thing leads to another..... hopefully I'll end up with a stud of a boat by the end of it all though

What kind of turnaround time are you getting on your pod, and what are you getting built? are you getting a full hull extension or a step up style? kicker bracket? swim grid?

2 week turn around. Step up style with full swim grid and kicker bracket.

DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0011.JPG well, here's what I'm starting with.....took a rubber hammer to the stringers, where I could get at them, and the transom, everything sounds good....the only dodgy bits I see right now, are the cribbing around that fuel tank. it wasn't sealed at all when it was installed. the exposed foam is obviously soggy too. So things are looking good for a start on this thing. I'll have to wait for a bit to get her home before I can start the demolition process.

That looks like a nice deep west-coast hull!
Congratulations
Thanks, I hope so.....I take out some old boys quite regularly, and I hope this rides a bit smoother than my beloved Hewes I had to give up!!! After much deliberation, I have come to the realization that I should just try to get this thing running. The bones are good, and the motor isn't seized. If I can get the motor running, then I'm at least fishing by July, and can make my trip over to Nootka this August. if it turns out that I can't resurrect the motor, then by all means, I'll rip that damn thing out and pod this bad boy! I'll keep you guys posted as the build comes along, but I'll have to wait until later in the months the owner is still in bloody Mexico.....

That engine would appear to be a in-line 6, with fresh water cooling, and no heat exchanger, running a 140 degree thermostat. Mercruiser 165 hp. Probably have to junk it.

Thanks, I hope so.....I take out some old boys quite regularly, and I hope this rides a bit smoother than my beloved Hewes I had to give up!!! After much deliberation, I have come to the realization that I should just try to get this thing running. The bones are good, and the motor isn't seized. If I can get the motor running, then I'm at least fishing by July, and can make my trip over to Nootka this August. if it turns out that I can't resurrect the motor, then by all means, I'll rip that damn thing out and pod this bad boy! I'll keep you guys posted as the build comes along, but I'll have to wait until later in the months the owner is still in bloody Mexico.....
I totally agree with you on trying to get the old power going. As long as you have a reliable kicker to mount on it for backup power. Obviously you don't want to sink much money into getting the old motor running again. However, even if it costs a bit to get her going, I think you will more than get that money back with other things you'll save on. It all depends how badly you don't want to miss this season. If you rush into the full rebuild project now you will end up spending far more than taking your time to find a solid outboard at a good price. Run the old engine till the fall then start on the full rebuild project. Everything costs less when you can take your time to shop around for the right build shop, engine and parts. You will also probably be far happier with the final result by taking your time on the rebuild. With the engine running you may even be able get some money back from it's sale, instead of just selling it for parts. From what you mentioned already you won't be able to start the rebuild right away. I think you'd be extremely lucky to get the full rebuild project done in time to get the full summer of fishing in. That's not undo-able, but it will be a big rush, and you might have to make compromises you're not happy with to get it done in time. As well as rush jobs usually end up costing far more than when you have the luxury of time to shop around.

I'd personally never want to go back to an I/O, but if it's only for one summer, no big deal. That's just my two cents worth.

Congrats on the great hull. It will end up being a super seaworthy West Coast boat when you're done. Please post pics as the reno project progresses. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes. Good luck.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you on trying to get the old power going. As long as you have a reliable kicker to mount on it for backup power. Obviously you don't want to sink much money into getting the old motor running again. However, even if it costs a bit to get her going, I think you will more than get that money back with other things you'll save on. It all depends how badly you don't want to miss this season. If you rush into the full rebuild project now you will end up spending far more than taking your time to find a solid outboard at a good price. Run the old engine till the fall then start on the full rebuild project. Everything costs less when you can take your time to shop around for the right build shop, engine and parts. You will also probably be far happier with the final result by taking your time on the rebuild. With the engine running you may even be able get some money back from it's sale, instead of just selling it for parts. From what you mentioned already you won't be able to start the rebuild right away. I think you'd be extremely lucky to get the full rebuild project done in time to get the full summer of fishing in. That's not undo-able, but it will be a big rush, and you might have to make compromises you're not happy with to get it done in time. As well as rush jobs usually end up costing far more than when you have the luxury of time to shop around.

I'd personally never want to go back to an I/O, but if it's only for one summer, no big deal. That's just my two cents worth.

Congrats on the great hull. It will end up being a super seaworthy West Coast boat when you're done. Please post pics as the reno project progresses. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes. Good luck.
Thanks man, right now the hard deadline that I have set myself is Aug 8.....that's my annual pilgrimage to Moutcha Bay, and I'll be buggered if I'm missing that! As far as I'm concerned, I can make do with an ugly frankenboat for a season, provided that I can get the old girl running.

Thanks man, right now the hard deadline that I have set myself is Aug 8.....that's my annual pilgrimage to Moutcha Bay, and I'll be buggered if I'm missing that! As far as I'm concerned, I can make do with an ugly frankenboat for a season, provided that I can get the old girl running.
Hope you get to make your trip, and I hope the boat proves to be extremely lucky.

That engine is a 250 chev 165 merc
definitely not what you thought in the 4.3 but good news its a sought after engine for old timer racers as thats the engine they run,
I would imagine the old points and condenser on the distributor. the biggest down fall on them engines was the manifold they never get cold enough.
You have got your self a project for sure. hope you have lots of money...

If it was my boat and I wanted to see how good the motor was, I would do a compression test before I sunk any money into it.

YES thats and OLD engine my first boat back 30 yrs ago had one of them in it then it was old ... now its almost an antique LOL

great thing is its a chev and parts are still around

Thanks for all the info guys, it looks like I've definitely got some research to do.....I'm optimistic that she's got some life left in her yet....

Back