Tips on fishing Cayo Santa Maria - Cuba

Heading down for a few weeks at the beginning of April and wondered if anyone has chartered out of Santa Maria?

Hoping for a 'shared' boat.

There seems to be a fair bit of info on shore casting or fishing from the bridges/causways locations, anyone have experience with this? Or general tips?

Will post up reports when back in Victoria.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Bump...
Surely someone could throw a few tips on shore casting in the Caribbean?

I've been following the Mexico thread(s) on it, so similar?
Never done this before so any tips would be great!

Here's what I am thinking:
1. Looking at bringing a 12' rod - long enough?
2. Open face spinning reel - recommendations for something inexpensive ($100 or less) but functional?
3. Spooled with 30lb test line - heavier? lighter? concerned about being able to cast anything greatere than 30lb, the distance required?
4. Steel leaders - know these are work well, for they type of fish.
5. Lures - NOT A CLUE.

Thanks,

Been to the Caribbean a bunch of times but never Cuba anyway most places I've been have been heavily spear fished in the past and what's left is tiny.

12'-is that a multi piece rod?

Because even 2 x 6' is a PITA to transport a simple 8' or 9' Steelhead casting rod 12-20# is usually lots.

30# Spectra or 20# mono is fine maybe a small spool of heavier mono 50# should do it.

I see on World Sea Fishing a lot of Englishmen go to Cuba and fish bait-they use flimsy stuff too what we would call Trout gear and are often over matched it seems to give them a thrill.

So you can fish small jigs to catch your own bait or a Sabiki rig fished on a light sinker near shore or beg some Squid or Shrimp from your hotel and fish it on what we know as a bar rig (+ or -).

The thing about inshore Caribbean it's usually a lot calmer than the Pacific beaches people fish in Mexico so you can tone down your presentation.

Steelhead spoons & spinners work as well and small flashy plugs like the YoZuri Mag Darters but I wouldn't drop a lot of money for them.

Reactions: 007
@Dogbreath - thank you!!!

1. 12'-is that a multi piece rod? Because even 2 x 6' is a PITA to transport a simple 8' or 9' Steelhead casting rod 12-20# is usually lots."
--- Haven't picked up a rod yet, but thanks for the tip. I will pick up a shorter two piece Steelhead rod.

2. 30# Spectra or 20# mono is fine maybe a small spool of heavier mono 50# should do it.
--- Sounds good.

3. World Sea Fishing
--- Great forum thanks, signed up and found lots of information.

4. or beg some Squid or Shrimp from your hotel and fish it on what we know as a bar rig (+ or -).
--- Yeah sounds good. Never had an issue picking up some bait from the resort 'fish grill chef'. They always seem up to handing out a few hand fulls (I've always brought heavy, freezer, sandwich and 1 size bigger, ziplock bags. Just hand them the bag and tickity-boo)!!! lol

5. The thing about inshore Caribbean it's usually a lot calmer than the Pacific beaches people fish in Mexico so you can tone down your presentation. Steelhead spoons & spinners work as well and small flashy plugs like the YoZuri Mag Darters but I wouldn't drop a lot of money for them.
--- Perfect thanks.

P.S. Great report from your trip over here Hali fishing!!!

Last edited:
You can pick up a 3 piece travel rod as well. Packs easily. I have a couple of the Cabela "Salt Striker" rods. Flimsy enough to feel bone fish, yet had the backbone to land some good sized Permit in Belize. Was completely over matched when I went for the slam on a tarpon and was spooled and broken off rather quickly. On a medium duty 8-17lb rated rod.

I bought the rod/reel combo for ~$100 USD. The reel has sealed bearings and has worked great for me. Its a good little set up that I keep in the trunk of my car to cast around on lunch breaks or after work whenever I can steal away for a few casts during Coho or Pink season.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...d?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=salt+striker

@Damien
Prefect thanks.
No experience with salt water spinning reels, appreciate the feed back!
Going to try and find a 3 or 4 piece rod...to fit in the luggage!!! Is there such a rod???

The price of a another piece of 'luggage' isn't as big of deal, as it just getting lost during transit (Vic to Van.; Van to TO.; TO to Cuba.)

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65454/cabelas-salt-striker-spinning-reels

3 and 4 piece rods are easy to track down, here are a few options just for ideas, but I would check with your local tackle store.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/72268/fenwick-eagle-travel-spinning-rod
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/75968/cabelas-fish-eagle-50-travel-spinning-rod

Some even come with a little hard shell tube that fits in standard roller luggage. I also brought the tube as a carry on one time, they didn't bat an eye at it.

Perfect!

I hadn't even had a chance to check it out and you've provided what I'm looking for!!!

Last month I took a two-piece rod to Mexico with me in a 66" long heavy cardboard tube. I took it as a checked bag and it went smoothly, came out on the baggage conveyor like any other bag. (I was expecting it to be considered oversize because of the length). You can fit the lures in the tube with the rod and just carry the reel in another bag.

Reactions: 007
Necro- Bump!

I'm heading to Cayo Santa Maria in March, hard to find much information. There is some news on fishing from shore simply walking away from the swimming/resort area beaches. It sure looks like a fishy area.

Not sure what to target, but I'm going to bring some gear and explore. Would be nice to find a tarpon my own (I lost the grand slam in Belize a few years ago) as I have caught Permit and Bonefish in the same day in the past.

I would entertain hiring a guide to look for tarpon, from shore it would be a whatever is biting for ***** and giggles. I have some wire leaders as I heard the most likely encounter will be barracuda. I've caught them before, but only heavy gear when fishing offshore for pelagics. Catching one on lighter gear could be a blast!

From what I understand the better permit and bone fishing is elsewhere, but I don't have the ability to travel much as this is a family first trip, but a 4 or 6 hour guided trip is a possiblity.

Any pointers?

Necro- Bump!

I'm heading to Cayo Santa Maria in March, hard to find much information. There is some news on fishing from shore simply walking away from the swimming/resort area beaches. It sure looks like a fishy area.

Not sure what to target, but I'm going to bring some gear and explore. Would be nice to find a tarpon my own (I lost the grand slam in Belize a few years ago) as I have caught Permit and Bonefish in the same day in the past.

I would entertain hiring a guide to look for tarpon, from shore it would be a whatever is biting for ***** and giggles. I have some wire leaders as I heard the most likely encounter will be barracuda. I've caught them before, but only heavy gear when fishing offshore for pelagics. Catching one on lighter gear could be a blast!

From what I understand the better permit and bone fishing is elsewhere, but I don't have the ability to travel much as this is a family first trip, but a 4 or 6 hour guided trip is a possiblity.

Any pointers?
talk to Jason at Pacific Angler. He can put you in touch with some guides in Cuba for that area.

Thanks. I'll give him a ring. Just finally settled on the visiting the area, mid March.

Back