Fish Farm Diesel Spill

Cost should be paid by the dumb idiot that did not follow procedure. That is why there are procedures put in place. If you are too stupid to follow the rules then flock off. The Company trains and shows employees the correct procedure. If you are caught breaking the law, you pay the price. The routine for fuel transfer is just like law.

The cost is paid by the spiller, same with the spill in Bella Bella, all paid by insurance company of the spiller/spiller themselves. WCMRC is mainly funded by big oil companies. This spill will cost Cermaq a lot of money even though it is quite minor.

Wow...... This thread has changed.... Which admin is deleting public posts? Do you have a different agenda? Are you changing and deleting posts to pave the way for your own beliefs? Has every person who posted here broken rules and if so why not warnings?

Last edited:
Wow...... This thread has changed.... Which admin is deleting public posts? Do you have a different agenda? Are you changing and deleting posts to pave the way for your own beliefs? Has every person who posted here broken rules and if so why not warnings?

Yes I agree. Our posts should not have been censored.
It reminds me of one of my favorite Churchill quotes

"I may not agree with what you have to say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

One would think (and I think most of the public does) that anytime there is a spill/environmental incident like this the company would be on the hook for 100% of both spill cleanup costs as well as costs related to loss of marketable product, etc. However, in reality there are way too many examples of companies getting bailed out by gov't (read: taxpayer dollars) in these sort of situations. It happens in fish farming, mining, oil & gas, forestry to name a few. These companies all seem quick to announce responsibility and say the right things to media but have legal teams that ensure they pay as little as possible at the end of the day... often dragging things into long court cases, etc that waste even more taxpayer money. For an industry that essentially gets 'free dumping/waste disposal' you would think they would at least be able to cover costs related to 'fish loss' (from disease, spills, etc) but the track record indicates otherwise. Until all of these costs are incorporated into the cost of business for fish farms and other 'environmentally damaging' industries there will never be a level playing field and there will never be a true free market economy. I'm all for free markets.... just as long as both sides of the income statement are treated equally (ie. not externalized).

Who pays for the clean up and all the related costs.
If the fish farm salmon are unmarketable, who covers that loss

The posts in question were removed because they were veering off topic, starting to get personal in nature and included a slang reference to a certain group of members being gay. All of these situations contravene our posting rules and so, before it got completely out of hand, I cleaned it up and left the posts that were on topic, respectful and had a point.
As to the assertion that I am somehow furthering my own beliefs or running some great conspiracy behind the scenes regarding an oil spill, I'm not too sure how my actions of eliminating name calling, irrelevant posts, furthers my "cause." The thread topic is about an oil spill but it quickly turned into a discussion about why fish farms should stay/go, depending on which side of the fence members are on, and some good old fashioned mud slinging was thrown in for good measure.
Everyone's right to disagree with someone else's opinion in this forum won't been censored as long as it is done in a respectful manner and stays within our posting guidelines. If you are interested in being part of an old west, no holds barred, say anything you want platform, this may not be the place for you, as we will not tolerate these types of behaviours.

Brian

Incidents that cause environmental harm are unacceptable. There are procedures in place to avoid these incidents as much as possible. First issue is what will fix it? Nothing.

Second issue, how do we avoid these incidents? That is the most important issue.

We pay for the costs of these disasters. Where do you think the Government or Insurance companies get their(our) money?

What is needed to stop these disasters from happening?

Incidents that cause environmental harm are unacceptable. There are procedures in place to avoid these incidents as much as possible. First issue is what will fix it? Nothing.

Second issue, how do we avoid these incidents? That is the most important issue.

We pay for the costs of these disasters. Where do you think the Government or Insurance companies get their(our) money?

What is needed to stop these disasters from happening?
Disaster?
Good lord get some perspective. 80% of that spill is probably evaporated already. Caused by some poor sap who wedged a pop can into a fuel nozzle and walked away. Or some girl who fell asleep. Or someone who'd just had a fight with their girlfriend and couldn't sleep. Whatever it was it hasn't caused a disaster. Probably happened 10x worse at least a thousand times on this coast before. I'd be surprised to learn one fish in that farm died. Even more surprised to learn there was any lasting impact on the "nearby" clam beds.
Hey it's great our society is concerned about stuff like this now, and we all work to stop these things from happening again. But let's not act like the sky is falling.

Last edited:
My admittedly limited understanding is that diesel/fuel oil (minus any additives or specific toxic constituents such as PAHs) has a short-term acute toxicity - but limited chronic toxicity. However, there are a number of additives in diesel that are unknown both in amounts, and carcinogenicity and toxicity - as are the biodegration products. I have not seen any data on any of this - except for the heavier petroleum products, such as crude.

Last edited:
OIL DISPERSION INCREASES THE APPARENT BIOAVAILABILITY AND TOXICITY OF DIESEL TO RAINBOW TROUT (ONCORHYNCHUS MYKISS)
ALLISON SCHEIN,† JASON A. SCOTT,† LIZZY MOS,‡ and PETER V. HODSON*†
†School of Environmental Studies, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
‡Hemmera, 4th Floor, 19 Bastion Square, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1J1, Canada
(Received 9 July 2008; Accepted 11 September 2008)

Abstract—Diesel is a complex mixture containing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which persist after a spill, pass readily from water into tissues, and are toxic to early life stages of fish. The bioavailability and chronic toxicity of hydrocarbons dissolved into water from floating diesel (water-accommodated fraction) and chemically dispersed diesel (chemically enhanced water-accommodated fraction) were measured by the extent of ethoxyresorufin-O-deethylase (EROD) induction in juvenile rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and by the severity of blue sac disease in embryos. The water-accommodated fraction of floating diesel was virtually nontoxic to embryos at nominal concentrations up to 1,000 mg/L, causing only small weight changes. Liver EROD induction in juvenile trout was only observed at the highest nominal water-accommodated fraction concentration (10,000 mg/L). Chemical dispersion increased the bioavailability and toxicity of diesel to trout by 100-fold. Diesel chemically enhanced wateraccommodated fraction induced EROD activity, caused blue sac disease, and impaired development and growth of embryonic trout at nominal concentrations as low as 10 mg/L; 88% mortality occurred at 100 mg/L. However, when total hydrocarbon concentrations were measured, differences between dispersed and undispersed diesel disappeared, with a median lethal concentration of 8 mg/L of total hydrocarbons and sublethal median effective concentrations ranging from 1.3 to 6.1 mg/L. Dispersion of diesel by highenergy mechanical mixing was recently reported to cause acute lethality to juvenile trout between 40 and 200 mg/L. Therefore, dispersion of oil by any means increases the bioavailability and apparent toxicity of diesel to fish embryos without changing

Another spill, sad. Amazing they can tell us 178L without knowing the source, not 175 or 180, but 178. Time to shut down whichever sector caused it right?

Another spill, sad. Amazing they can tell us 178L without knowing the source, not 175 or 180, but 178. Time to shut down whichever sector caused it right?
It was a marina that caused the spill in the report. Ultimately, spills happen, whether a marine, float camp or a fish farm. The companies involved learn from their mistakes and set better handling procedures to stop the chance of another spill. The generally get hefty fines and are inspected more frequently. Wish it never happened but it does

Hope your joking about the shutting down a sector part...with this thinking you'd have us sporties(or any sector for that matter) not able to fuel up on the water at Critter Cove and Winter Harbour and the like..id say many boats "burb" some fuel when full...and the fuel dock employee grabs his bottle with some "Sunlight" in it to "disperse" it...seen it done more times than I'd like
Give me a brake

NEET BN! Thanks 4 sharing. Looks like a smart "investment". Did you install it inline w your filler pipe - or the breather/vent tube/pipe?

Last edited:
Back