live herring

bones

I know its not done much anymore. Just curious how people fish them now or back in the old days.

Sabiki rigs with a dropshot weight, and a couple spoons or reflective tape for some flash. You can also cast a net for them I believe.

Fish out of secret cove for about a week every summer pretty much soley so we can fish liveys. Not an old school expert like allot of guys on here I'm sure but we usually do well. Almost always on the anchor , 2 - 6 oz slip weigh , long light leader ( 6' of 12 lb maxima ) , small hooks ( 1/0 owners ) . Put in holder, set at desired depth, crack beer and relax. So much more relaxing than down rigging , have also landed many nice ling doing so, even a 60 - 70 lb Hali two summers ago at the south end of lasqueti. Dogfish can be an issue.

An old school Gulf islands commercial troller once told me he used to catch springs in Active pass that had been snapped off by the sporties. He said they were live herring rigged with 2 or 3 very small trebles in a line under the back bone fore and aft of the dorsal.
Sounds like a pretty mean rig but he said it worked like crazy for them.
Of course that was in the 40's and 50's.

As others have commented use a banana weight, light leader of minimum 6'. We used small double trebles growing up but I'm sure you could use singles.

We would anchor in known spots usually around 100' deep. Drop your line to bottom and reel up 10 or 20 times. Stagger your rods and wait for a bite.

It's very common to get bites on the way down and back up from bottom. The classic bite from at anchor is when your rod tip twitches a bit and then the rod tip actually comes up and goes straight. Reel like crazy and enjoy the fight.

Probably my favourite way to fish! Buccaneer marina live bait.

I'll share as well....
For Coho: 12' 6lb maxima chameleon 2-#12 trebles shank tied close.
For springs 12' 8lb maxima chameleon 2- #10 trebles

12 lb mainline 3/4-2oz wait pending the tide.

So my problem is trimming the barb on a 12 treble. So thought I would ask how other people are doing it, back then and nowadays

I'll share as well....
For Coho: 12' 6lb maxima chameleon 2-#12 trebles shank tied close.
For springs 12' 8lb maxima chameleon 2- #10 trebles

12 lb mainline 3/4-2oz wait pending the tide.

So my problem is trimming the barb on a 12 treble. So thought I would ask how other people are doing it, back then and nowadays

First you have to have a bunch of rigs pre tied. Then as you leave the marine, make sure you grab the railing they are hanging from and put a bunch of hooks into your hands. Ha ha.

lol.... quick drive to the hospital and still made tide change, just cant believe i broke off and got away. you remember that??? what were you like 4?

Use to run a single size 1 or 2 if I remember correctly through the nose and power mooch.
Use to rake em off denman for coho later when I was older.
Sunup at sewells was always good for a fist fight or two. Race to Cowan or cape Rodger Curtis. Big noodle rods, the old man wouldn't let us touch the rod till the tip hit the water then two quick pulls wait a second or two and feed it to em. Tom Thompson ripping around checking anglers and giving reports of the hot action on WX 1130. Those were the days man, slip weights and hand crankers and Abe and al dodgers. All strip when the liveys weren't available.
Haven't thought about the old neighbour guy for years. He's smile to see the coho back now but shed a tear for his beloved Fraser springs.

Good topic sorry for the derail...

We'd use these but back then you could buy live herring dock side.

Attachments

• IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 125
Still have # 8 and 6 trebles in one of the tackle boxes. Maybe i'll find a use for them someday. Tips above are about right. Limber tip rods were used, as said above, idea was that the spring would sick in the herring, then swim upward. You were watching for the fish to take the weight of the sinker off the rod. Most relaxed fishing you can have.

it all goood
#1's hey? wow big diff from our #12's lol
I remember using the super small sticky little trebles as well at times: as you said deadly to try and remove barbs now... Jesus this is like 35 years ago or more now.

Also there were different ways to increase your length between the weight and live bait. You could use either a lead slider ball or banana sinker with a line hole through the center. You threaded on a small piece of rubber tubing onto your mainline, then you used a small peg (like a cribbage peg) to hold your weight further up your line. With a slider weight the Salmon might not detect the weight on the line as easily as when using a fixed weight, and you could get more separation between weight and bait..

Back