Pod builder on the island

ExFlyGuy

any body have any recommendations for pod builders on the island?

I seen this guy on used victoria
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/BOAT-NEED-REPOWERING-POD_19512806

Anyone given him a try on here? He told me he's done 700+ pods so someone must know something...

I am in nanaimo so I would be open to someone closer if they do good work.

Also I was told not to fill the hole from the outdrive leg, as the wood will absorb water and possibly crack the transom.

What's your guys thoughts on this?

Thanks

any body have any recommendations for pod builders on the island?

I seen this guy on used victoria
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/BOAT-NEED-REPOWERING-POD_19512806

Anyone given him a try on here? He told me he's done 700+ pods so someone must know something...

I am in nanaimo so I would be open to someone closer if they do good work.

Also I was told not to fill the hole from the outdrive leg, as the wood will absorb water and possibly crack the transom.

What's your guys thoughts on this?

Thanks
ask @albernifisher

Dss welding in Duncan built the pod for my Malibu 185. Boat rides great and no problems with bow porpoise. I filled the hole in the transom and no issues. Feel a lot better not having a giant hole in the back of the boat.

I filled mine too. I also replaced the plywood that rotted due to water soaking it through the leg hole edges. I also used DSS in Duncan.

E&D in whiskey creek built a pod for me on my last boat. Did a real nice job. I have purchased an outboard for my current boat through PY marine in port and they have a guy who does pods for them so I pulled the inboard had the hole patched at extreme fiberglass in Nanaimo. The boat is now awaiting for the pod and out board install through PY marine. I would definitely have the hole filled in the transom.

Why wouldn't you fill that hole in? I don't get that

Those were my thoughts. When I asked the guy in the link above, he said the dry wood you put in the hole will absorb water and cause the glass or gel coat to break in areas surrounding it...

Everthing I've read says to fill it in incase you rip your pod off you don't have a giant hole in your boat. But I've never podded a boat so thought I would ask here.

Those were my thoughts. When I asked the guy in the link above, he said the dry wood you put in the hole will absorb water and cause the glass or gel coat to break in areas surrounding it...

Everthing I've read says to fill it in incase you rip your pod off you don't have a giant hole in your boat. But I've never podded a boat so thought I would ask here.
if you rip your pod off.... your likely gonna rip your transom off

Seen a lot of pod jobs...have not seen a lot of leg holes left open.

If there's wet wood in the transom, that's got to come out anyway. My preference would be to replace all the transom wood, knee brace to the stringers, encapsulate everything carefully, and mount the pod to the rebuilt transom. And if you're just plugging the hole, you should be plugging it with wood that's thoroughly encapsulated with epoxy anyway, so water absorption should not be the issue.

"Those were my thoughts. When I asked the guy in the link above, he said the dry wood you put in the hole will absorb water and cause the glass or gel coat to break in areas surrounding it..."

How will it absorb water?

DSS in Duncan did my pod and I was happy with both the quality of work and the turn around. I would recommend. I think there are several other good fabricators around but I would take my money back to Larry at DSS again for my next pod.

Back