Malibu Tyee - Opinions?

Damien

Hey there, I'm looking into a 17' Malibu Tyee.

I will be using it for the big lower mainland lakes, Alouette, Harrison, Cutus, Chilliwack etc. As well as some near shore Howe Sound, West Van type of salmon action. I just sold my aluminum modified V looking for something that handle the chop better and tow a tube for the kids a few times in the summer.

Any gotchas to look for in the 1990's vintage? Other than checking the usual stuff for soft floor or transom, etc. Are there any fundamental flaws in these boats?

Sweet spot for power? 75, 90, 115?

I appreciate your insights.

I have a 1993 Tyee. Great boat! Mine came with a 90hp 2 stroke that was just fine for power. (But would not want anything less) I repowered it 2 years ago with a 115hp Yamaha. The 115hp is defiantly the way to go but if you find a good one with a 90hp buy it! Never less that 90hp on this boat though!

Cool, good to know. What you price a good condition mid 90's with original 90hp 2 stroke power and solid trailer? Provided the motor checks out.

Do you guys have an idea of the weight, rigged? My Ford Escape SUV only has a 2500lb tow rating which may make this potential boat moot for me. Not that I will be taking it over the Coq or anything. But still need to be safe.

I believe the tyee is the same hull design as the double eagle and their weight without motor is 1450 lbs add fuel a coule of motors you would be closing in on 2300 great hull design

Your probably right at max. I have towed my 17' Double Eagle once with my girlfriends Escape (small engine and front wheel drive) on flat ground and it did ok... I did not launch or retrieve it on a boat ramp however. The problem with this truck (cough! cough!) is with tongue weight. The more weight on the tongue the less on the front wheels and on a front wheel drive that can be an issue, particularly in the wet. Just my experience....

Damien, I tow a Campion 19' CC with a 2014 Ford Escape AWD. I figure I'm closing in on 2500lbs with motor, gear, fuel etc. It's not ideal but it tows just fine. There is definitely a little more hitch weight than I'd like and that little eco boost gets horrible fuel economy when towing. That being said we did tow from Ladysmith to Winter Harbour with no problems (gravel road and all). It's not an ideal situation and I prefer to tow with the truck but that little cross over can pull a small boat just fine. One major negative is the rear wheels on the Escape are further back than a truck. I've had to dip the rear wheels more times than I'll admit to my wife.

Cool. Yeah, mine is a 2013 Escape Ecoboost with AWD. I should be fine, but I will definitely take it easy. And it won't be towed long distances or up any significant hills. I have access to trucks from most of my friends and family. Not ideal to borrow for sure, but if I plan on towing anywhere significant I can always use one of their truck.

I live in Langley, so I will usually be launching in one of the valley lakes mentioned or will plunk it in around Fort Langley, Crescent Beach, Rocky Point etc. Again, no real hills to contend with in any of those directions. Trailer brakes would be a plus though i'm sure.

Thanks for the input so far fellas. Tough to find a balance and compromise on a boat that can handle chop, be relatively inexpensive to buy and run, not need a big truck to tow, be fish-able and still able to take my small family out for a day on the lake pulling a tube around.

Funny, I just sold my 2002 F150 two weeks ago when the opportunity to buy this Escape came up. It was my wife's company car coming off lease for a deal I couldn't refuse, ($10,500) but of course has limited ability to haul a boat around. Another compromise...The F150 towed my welded 17.5' G3 w/70 Yammy like it wasn't there.

Grab a compression tester and ask the seller if you can see a compression test. It got me free labour on a rebuild when I bought an older 2 stroke last year.

Watch out for some of those older Tyee. I have one. Rotten floor, rotten stringers. If it has glued in carpet, walk away. my 2 bits.

My previous boat a 1995 Malibu Tyee with a 115 HP Merc fully loaded with gas, kicker, 2 batt. 2 downrigger balls and downrigggers weighed just over 3100 lbs.
I loved that boat, used it to fish at Winter Harbour, never felt unsafe, but then I do not take stupid risks. I would not go less than 115 hp motor on the Tyee.

https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/boa/5979255443.html

Here is a Tyee for sale that I had emailed the seller back and forth on. I offered to come look at it this weekend with cash in hand pending a sea trial. Then radio silence on his end. I may have blown my cover and someone here might scoop it.

Or I just sniffed out a possible lemon. Anyone possibly familiar with this boat or seller?

I asked him if he ever had a kicker on it and he said he trolled off the main and "had it rewired" to troll slower. Seems a bit, iffy?

Boat looks in relatively good shape, not so sure about the motor as Mariner did not have the best reputation.

https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/boa/5979255443.html

Here is a Tyee for sale that I had emailed the seller back and forth on. I offered to come look at it this weekend with cash in hand pending a sea trial. Then radio silence on his end. I may have blown my cover and someone here might scoop it.

Or I just sniffed out a possible lemon. Anyone possibly familiar with this boat or seller?

I asked him if he ever had a kicker on it and he said he trolled off the main and "had it rewired" to troll slower. Seems a bit, iffy?

Damien PM you

I believe the Mariner is identical to Merc in that size. Not to be confused with Force/US Marine outboards which were re-branded Chrysler motors.

I have a Mariner 30Hp (mid 80's). It is built like a tank - and is actually a Yamaha motor. Makes my 14' tinny fly.

Back