Best Place to Buy Wood Pellets - Traeger Pellet Grill

firemann911

Looking for recommendations on where the best place to buy Traeger cooking pellets or alternative pellets for a reasonable price?

CDN Tire sells 20 lb bags of Louisiana Grills pellets for $20. Blended pellets, but no wood essence oil additives like some Traeger pellets. I have used the Louisiana Grills pellets for smoking Salmon and they seem like a good quality product to me .

CDN Tire sells 20 lb bags of Louisiana Grills pellets for $20. Blended pellets, but no wood essence oil additives like some Traeger pellets. I have used the Louisiana Grills pellets for smoking Salmon and they seem like a good quality product to me .

Thank you, I'll look into them! I was buying the MoJack Pellets off Amazon, but the price recently skyrocketed!

i try to stock up every time the traeger guys are in costco, (every 6 months)
there is a store in mill bay and sooke that sells traegers and pellets.
I think you can get non traeger pellets from amazon for cheap.
join the traeger facebook group, It is amazing with tons of great info and great pictures of everyone's work.

If you like the Traeger pellets that's great, but just for your info Traeger does not actually use the woods that are on the labels in most cases. They use a base filler wood and often add wood essence oils to the base wood to simulate the type of wood on the label. It is basically the same as adding liquid smoke to give a simulated type of wood smoke flavoring to your smoked meat. If your happy with the Traeger product that's great, but I just thought I'd let guys know what Traeger does. They have patented the process so they are the only pellet manufacturer that does this. I've never used the Traeger pellets, so I'm not saying they're lousy. All I'm saying is you can get smoking pellets from other manufacturers that actually contain the real woods on the label and for cheaper.

The Louisiana Grills Apple wood pellets sold at cdn tire are 70% Alder and 30% Apple. That is actually a very good blend for smoking Salmon. I would prefer a 50/50 blend, but most manufacturers use 70% base wood (alder) and only 30% of the type wood on the label. Louisiana Grills is actually a Canadian company based in Alberta that manufactures BBQ's and the pellets. A lot of guys in the know on the American smoking forums will not use Traeger pellets because most of their pellets do not actually contain the wood on the label (and they claim they give inferior results compared to real wood). Just FYI.

I have used Traeger pellets, but shy away from them because of the added flavoring or whatever you want to call it. I recently purchased the Pit Boss Pellets from Costco, we will see how they are. Thank everyone for the info. Just FYI, everything taste great on my Traeger smoker!

Back