Dummy Flasher Setup

advTHXance

Just wondering how everyone else is configuring their dummy flasher setups? Id like to fight a few pinks on the fly rod this summer but usually just fish with my flashers in-line.

-distance between ball/flasher/clip?
-line and clip used for attaching flasher?
- 8 or 11 inch flashers? konezone? other?
-crimps? crimping tool?
-problems having your dummy sucked up by trolling motor?

'-distance between ball/flasher/clip?'
6'to 8'

'-line and clip used for attaching flasher?'

80# mono cheapest you can find

'- 8 or 11 inch flashers? konezone? other?'
Whatever works I like 11" or Konezone style

'-crimps? crimping tool?'
Don't bother you can tie the gear easily enough crimping can be an an excuse to spend money

'-problems having your dummy sucked up by trolling motor?'
Yeah you gotta watch it.

Easiest is Konezone attached right to the ball (or just above), but you can use a regular flasher attached to 5 - 6' piece of heavy line. I use some 100' test braided line I had lying around because it is easy to tie and wrap up at the end of the day. Mono would work, but would be more difficult to store neatly and would likely need to be replaced annually. My flasher line has a coast/cross lock snap at each end plus a swivel on the end that attaches to my downrigger ball. Trolling snaps also work if you want to also attach to your cable.

Then run you downrigger clip 3' - 4' up the cable and your lure the same length behind the flasher as you would normally run your leader. Easy to play around with the "leader" length. I found I had better luck running my bait fairly close to the dummy (i.e. 5' - 6' back and as close as possible vertically) when the water is murky. If the water is clear or the fish are spooked I wouldn't hesitate to run further back.

I've only run 11" flashers, haven't tried 8" - give them a try and let us know what you think!.

Lost a flasher to the prop the first time I ran the setup and shortened the flasher leader accordingly...

Definitely more fun playing a fish without the flasher dragging through the water although I think it is slightly less effective in getting hookups. But when there are lots of fish - like schools of pinks around - this isn't an issue. Much easier when doing bait checks as as well.

I run my dummies straight off the ball, and use hotspot agitators or kone zone depending on what I'm fishing for. Might be less effective but you aren't giving the fish the advantage of the leverage they get off an inline flasher....you definitely have the upper hand with no flasher and that makes up for the difference in catch ratio

I use riteangle rigger stop and dummy flasher rig. It's an easy addition. There's some YouTube videos that show the install/use. My flasher "leash" was about 5' long. Lost a flasher in the prop myself. Just need to be careful when turning. Very happy with their products.

I use 8-inch flashers for my Dummies when I fish for sockeye, so I usually just re-use them for other fish at other times of the year since they are already rigged and ready to go. They are usually about 5 feet long from clip to flasher. I don't like them too long so that they don't get tangled by currents or during turns.

The way I run dummy flashers:

Flasher clip 18" up from ball (If bottom bouncing otherwise lower), leader to flasher 5.5-6'. 3' dr clip placed 4' up from flasher. The tension of the line will pull that clip up a bit so that it is more like 5' from flasher. Position lure 5'-8' from clip.

Make sure to use really good swivels (sampo ideally) or you can get line twist after a while and possibly lose flasher. 100lb mono works great.

I find this can be as effective as an inline flasher and much better fight! Once you get it dialed it is hard to go back!

Thanks for all the detailed replies, guys. I think Ill be able to cobble something together!

I run Kone Zone flashers, I use a piece of 48" Gange, fined cannon ball with the flasher running off the ball and a scotty clip at the top works great.

Should I increase my leader length on my spoons when using dummy flashers? Threw a couple on today that were probably 36" and that seemed kinda short.

You can put the line in the clip anywhere, it doesnt have to be right near your swivel. If you think longer leaders will help though then by all means give it a try!

So I experimented a bit with traditional dummy flashers on anywhere from a 3-6' tether, hot spot agitators clipped right behind the ball, and I think I might give the konezone a try at some point as well.

So far I like the simplicity of the hot spot agitators. With 2 of them daisy-chained together they provide about as much drag as a traditional flasher and seem to catch nearly as many fish. You also dont need a ton of space between the ball and your release clip so the whole setup is pretty compact. I wish there were better colors to choose from, like uv blades, moonjelly etc.

The standard 6' tether with 11" flasher with release clip 5' up from there is just a bit too clumsy for my liking. After you add another 18" to the ball from flasher clip youve got nearly 7 feet of cord between your pulley and cannonball. Obviously you could shorten the tether and position the clip closer (at like 4' and 3') but then its 5' in total which is still awkward. I also wonder if a shorter tether would hinder the flashers ability to do its thing. Another issue I have with this setup is that even if you get your cannonball positioned nice and close to the bottom (say within 5'), your flasher is still 2' above that, and your lure is another 5 above that - so your lure is actually 12 feet off the bottom when you think youre right in the zone. Not a problem if youre fishing mid-water but I usually like to have atleast 1 line down deep.

I've never used a dummy flasher system, but herd others using it. Usually we run 2 rods 20' apart on the downriggers. The first 1 just off the cannon ball with flasher and lure, than the second flasher and lure 20' above that. Can you run 2 rods with 2 dummy flashers on 1 downrigger. If so how far apart would you put the first dummy flashers and lure from the second dummy flasher and lure.

I've never used a dummy flasher system, but herd others using it. Usually we run 2 rods 20' apart on the downriggers. The first 1 just off the cannon ball with flasher and lure, than the second flasher and lure 20' above that. Can you run 2 rods with 2 dummy flashers on 1 downrigger. If so how far apart would you put the first dummy flashers and lure from the second dummy flasher and lure.
Search for sockeye setups and you'll find some good info.

Back