etec 10 year Warranty

matt benson

Not sure if anyone has heard about this or if it will be offered in Canada. Evinrude will be offering a special during boat show season of a 10 year warranty. That is crazy. If your looking to repower this deal is amazing. I know on the Island most people run yamaha, but this might make you think twice.

thought my 7 year was crazy. that even crazier, used my warrenty couple time at 6 years. saved me thousands

Wow that's unreal. I haven't run OMC/Johnson/Evinrude in many years but if I was looking for new power I think I'd jump at that. The new etecs are very advanced engines and are quite an impressive piece of engineering. Props to a Canadian company offering that kind of engine warranty.

whats the commercial side of the warranty?

Have you seen the fuel economy specs on those motors? There is a sheet on the evinrude website that shows dozens of boat setups, singles, twins, triples, big boats and small boats and t gives the performance specs. They are almost to good to be true plus your first service isn't until 500 hours.

I buy, sell and restore boats. To me the numbers are a no brainer but trying to convince a customer to go evinrude is almost impossible. It will take a few years of sales of these motors before customer loyalty is there.

It's unfortunate that the evinrude name is tarnished and people don't realize it's a good product and here's how the name went for **** and why people need to know that it's a different motor now....

Fact - evinrude invented the outboard and was an industry leader.
Others came along and made competition and sales fell for evinrude over the years.
Lost revenue meant evinrude wasn't retooling enough and so their fit and finish became the downfall of their motor and eventually led to their bankruptcy. The engine was good, the build was poor.
Enter bombardier .
They bought evinrude and retooled , making the evinrude better again.
There's nothing worse than an evinrude fitcht (except the force outboards) , but.... if the fitcht motor has a BRP emblem on the back, it's a whole other animal and is not the lemon that the old fitcht motors were.
Still, I can't buy those motors because my customers won't buy a boat with them on it.

The new new new evinrude is the first 100% design of bombardier and only carries the evinrude sticker, that's all that the motor shares with the old company

Have you seen the fuel economy specs on those motors? There is a sheet on the evinrude website that shows dozens of boat setups, singles, twins, triples, big boats and small boats and t gives the performance specs. They are almost to good to be true plus your first service isn't until 500 hours.

I buy, sell and restore boats. To me the numbers are a no brainer but trying to convince a customer to go evinrude is almost impossible. It will take a few years of sales of these motors before customer loyalty is there.

It's unfortunate that the evinrude name is tarnished and people don't realize it's a good product and here's how the name went for **** and why people need to know that it's a different motor now....

Fact - evinrude invented the outboard and was an industry leader.
Others came along and made competition and sales fell for evinrude over the years.
Lost revenue meant evinrude wasn't retooling enough and so their fit and finish became the downfall of their motor and eventually led to their bankruptcy. The engine was good, the build was poor.
Enter bombardier .
They bought evinrude and retooled , making the evinrude better again.
There's nothing worse than an evinrude fitcht (except the force outboards) , but.... if the fitcht motor has a BRP emblem on the back, it's a whole other animal and is not the lemon that the old fitcht motors were.
Still, I can't buy those motors because my customers won't buy a boat with them on it.

The new new new evinrude is the first 100% design of bombardier and only carries the evinrude sticker, that's all that the motor shares with the old company

Hmmmmm
How many hours a year does the average boat owner fishing or just burning gas put on a main engine? How long does gear oil in a leg last? Guessing 100 hours a year on my main engine that's 5 years of season change hot and cold weather condensation etc before a leg oil change!

Kronic

Kronic

Will be season 12 coming up in my 175 ETec this summer and I could not be happier. Although I am not a comercial user I do use mine a lot. That engine is as solid and reliable as the day it rolled off the show room floor. Quiet, easy on fuel, light, after a winter sitting in the shop when it hits the water in the spring it does not make one complete turn and fires like it was ran 5 min before. In my future I see no other engine than an ETec.

It is quite simple as to why Evinrude/Johnson tanked when they did. All the other manufacturers were going in a different direction and perfecting reliable 4 stroke engines at a time when they were having major problems with their 2 strokes. Yes they are now good motors but 4 strokes are now established and who knows if people will turn back to 2 strokes in big numbers. There are more companies heavily invested in 4 strokes and they would put up an expensive marketing fight that a single company probably couldn't afford to battle.

I' m looking to repower in the near future and would like a 250 Yammi 4 stroke but feeling a bit torn if the deal was right I would not hesitate to put a 250 etec on the stern.

I' m looking to repower in the near future and would like a 250 Yammi 4 stroke but feeling a bit torn if the deal was right I would not hesitate to put a 250 etec on the stern.
You should price an etec 250 installed and compare it to the Yamaha. I'm not sure but I thought the etec was cheaper installed.

I had a 225 Merc Optimax on my first charter boat, fuel economy was very good but there was the oil thing about three years latter the price of oil went way up and the savings in fuel was getting outwayed by the cost of the oil. Wonder what the deal is with etec oil. Running 150 Yamahas now, lovely motors

I've been pricing motors out for month now I am torn on want to buy, what I have been pricing is twin 200's I've checked out mercs,suzuki ,yamahas and evinrudes any suggestions?

Which one do you like Dave? With looking at all of them for a month I think you may know more than most. Personality i like the 2 strokes,.

I went to the Vancouver boat show yesterday and received a few quotes and seems to me that Mercury was the best price and I received the most knowledgeable quote from RPM group out of Port Alberni, they where keen on thinking about everything I will need to repower the boat and gave a comprehensive quote reflecting that.
Getting close to making a decision.

Pros and cons - both sides of the preferences...

4 strokes - bit more expensive to buy (generally) and to fix. Also heavier than the 2-strokes. However, no need to buy 2-stroke oil. Similar gas mileage.

E-teks - lighter - if you live in the middle of nowhere - buying and shipping the $10/L E-Tek oil in - can be expensive - if you run around lots.

Ultimately - where you live will affect the choice. What dealer/repair shop can you work with?....

We once bought a barrel of oil from GVPS for the snowmobiles and it worked out very cheap. I wonder if you could do the same for the outboard oil. It actually might be the same oil.... That would be good if you don't live near a dealer.

That's where I went as soon as bought my first case of oil. That snowmobile oil doesn't have clear markings on the barrel so I decided not to purchase the mini barrel.

Dont let the oil thing be a deciding factor. You can run any 2 stroke oil in an etec. It does not need to be only xd100. If your stuck you can run any oil you can find in it. Evinrude made the motor for stupid people as well. IF YOU make a habit of running xd50 on a constant basis then you will need to have the comp switched to that setting.
It's make America great again not" smart again". If you couldn't run blue oil evinrude would have alot of problems with blown motors due to the stupids. The guy I bought mine rude from thought it was a 4 stroke........

Back