2017 Sidney Reports

Spent a couple hours today between Coal and Fairfax... lots and lots of shakers, didnt find myself anything worth keeping but u couldnt ask for a nicer day after 2 months of blistering wind!

Broke the new year's ice with this 10lb line-peeler today. Logged 1.5h around coal island and got this guy on a trap shack skinnyG in 90ft of water.

Had to pull the lines when the snow started flying :D

Attachments

• IMG_20170108_121501524_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170108_121501524_HDR.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 148
Out for a couple hours today at Coal and Sidney Channel. Got a nice hatchery chinook in the channel on a sandlance. Weighed just shy of 14 lbs. Lots of smaller fish released as well.

Dragged an arsenal's worth of lures around Coal yesterday afternoon in all depths (50-160). Some bait and birds scattered, but nothing came of it - Same can be said for the other three boats around us. Saw one salmon carcass at Tulista being munched on by seagulls.

Can't beat the weather though!

A 16 pound wild winter Spring
Agreed.....nice fish
DAMN that was my 38 pounder this August.
Oh well...you snooze, you loose.
You deserve it to get out in this damn weather!!

Great Fish Mark! 40 ft seems quite shallow for a winter spring - were you around the rock, or close to shore?

Took advantage of a sunny Saturday to fish along Sidney Spit - got lines in the water at 11:30.
For the first hour and some there was absolutely nothing going on. The odd boat around us didn't appear to have much more luck; however, during a bait check (pop off downrigger, start cranking downrigger leaving the bait in the water), ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Game on. Second rod went off too! (quickly let go, though).

We pursued the fleeing fish until we were virtually on top of it and up it came (reluctantly). I was on the net, ready to pounce. The flasher emerged from the depths and behind it a chrome monster. Once it caught sight of the boat, it rolled, spat the hook and disappeared back to the depths. Heartbreak. A quick glance... maybe 20#?

The day continued with a few more hits on the second rod, but nothing stuck around. Then we realized that the first fish had bent the hook! Promptly got a pack of Owners to never let that happen again.

Of course later in the day, we snagged a buoy, 35ft under the water and lost the winning combo.

Rod 1: Chartreuse Glow & UV Flasher, Green Glow Teaser head and small anchovy
Rod 2: Madi Flasher / Glow Army Truck Needlefish Hoochie

Spent 3 hours out in Sidney Channel this morning, kept one 7 lb eater, released at least 6 or 7 of his younger siblings. Fishing between 90-130 with spoons. Crab pots all over the place, so keep an eye out if youre fishing there.

Out and around Madarte Island yesterday afternoon. Beautiful flat calm and a couple of keepers to the boat. Nothing of great size, but perfect for the BBQ.
Trap shack skinnyG on the bottom and an anchovy about 10-20ft off the bottom did the trick.

Out for a couple hours with my brother today trying some dummy flasher configurations out. Just caught small stuff but didnt put too much effort in. Think I may have seen another sfbc member out there in his center console. The wind was freezing cold coming from the North, hope he stayed warm. :)

Yeah I passed you in the channel. Was out at Wain rock first light....Not a touch. Heading to Sidney was a waste of time as it started blowing once I got there. Haha....Yes I wear a couple layers and pack a thermos of hot coffee. I'm gonna try another first light pass at Wain this morning before the winds get up.

Fished 7-2 today... Coal, Sidney Channel, Fairfax. Lots of small stuff as usual, bonked one about 7 lbs at Fairfax not long before heading in. Ap sandlance on the bottom.

Fished Wain rock 10 - 12. About 20 minutes in....Not paying attention and thinking to myself wtf am I doing out here in the chop and cold. I look back and the line's off the clip!! Awe it's off.........No it's there! A crazy fight....The fish ran right at me then quickly turned and burned like 5 times. I was very lucky netting it as it went for one last burn in the wrong direction right into the net. 15lb wild on an AP herring spoon 43' in 70'IMG_20170207_141016.jpg

Way to go Mark. Thats a couple good sized fish for you now to start off the new year!

Back