PAL/CFSC insights

pescador

I let my old FAC expire and will be doing the current PAL course for Non- Restricted and Restricted this weekend. I've read the manual 4 times now. Man the material has changed to when I did it years ago. Probably need to brush up on the changes anyway. Any insights from anyone who has done the course recently? I think I've captured the key messages in my notes but any help would be appreciated.

I took one last year in Victoria and the instruction was pretty comprehensive. Like you, I did a fair bit of pre course reading, but I doubt many others had. Everything was well covered and we had tons of practical time to practice handling various firearms. For someone just getting back into it, it was a great refresher and some things have changed! Good course overall.

PROVE your gun every time you pick one up and get in the habit of it. The written part of non-restricted was easy if you have handled guns before; the practical part can be a bit nerve racking; at least with the company I did mine with, all and all, if you know what you are doing and are confident you shouldn't have a problem, just remember to PROVE your gun every time you pick it up as it is a big part of the practical that I did. Good Luck

I never did the restricted so I can't help you there.

Yup. PROVE the most important part of the course and you will be asked what it means, maybe more than once. I took the PAL last January. Read the book over, the exam is multiple choice, most answers where common sense. specially if you are a gun guy. I did a one day 12 hour intense course at someone's house. Good luck.

I would suggest PROVEing when you put it down or away or on the quad as well.

Did silvervore in October for both restricted and non. Did no pre reading or studying, although one student had and she knew most the answers prior to us being taught. The tests are pretty simple, but yes they do try to trick you.

Back