Vancouver Canucks season

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup...got to like his development....Think the Nucks have a good developing defence core for once...just the front end needs to get going...time to split the twins up and put some speed with each on of them...there one step behind this year.. :)

I took the family to the LA game. Got some last minute tickets that were better than cost from the box office but still not cheap due to the Christmas holidays. The upper bowl was packed but still lots of empty season ticket holder spots in the lower bowl. As Derby said, the first period was great and if the hockey style was like that all the time, I would be more inclined to go to the odd game live, even though the cost to get from the island and stay over etc is prohibitive. Both teams were aggressive on the attack and the scoring chances were there because of it. However, after the quick second period goal by Henrik, it was like the Canucks decided two was enough to win and it became a dump it in and trap it up style. Now, it worked in this game as they got the win and overall I was impressed at how well the D played and the forwards worked hard to not give LA many grade A scoring chances. I also understand that until some of their younger guys consistently learn how to play at the NHL level, they need to play this way but, from a pure entertainment level, it is somewhat painful to watch.
On the bright side, there is some good things happening if you really watch closely. Bo Horvat is going to be a very good player for a long time. He is smart, quick, strong as on Ox and has decent puck skills and Baertschi definitely has the speed and skill...just needs to find consistency. The 6 D they had on the ice on this night were quite good and should only get better with age and seasoning. Tryamkin manhandled Kopitar on more than one occasion down low which is no easy feat. He also stapled one of the bigger LA wingers into the glass right at the penalty bench in a way that no one else on the team could. The glass must have moved three to four feet and the camera on top of it nearly was dislodged! If a couple of their young prospects ie Boesser and Juolevi can translate their current play to the pro game they will be entertaining again, but not for a few years yet!
On the downside, the overall team speed isn't where it needs to be and missing a guy like Hansen and with Virtanen not quite figuring out how hard you need to work to play at the NHL level, hurts this team quite a bit as the drop off in skill for the guys filling in is very noticeable. The Sedins need someone to play with that has the ability to get in hard on the forecheck and they also need to be able to play as a so called second line at this stage of their career. There skill level is still there but it will make for an interesting decision when it comes time for them to negotiate new contracts if the team can't surround them with enough good youth and speed to allow them to play that role of good depth scorers and leaders/mentors.
It is always good to see a game live as it gives you a different perspective than on TV and some of the subtleties you see in a player such as Tanev that don't translate in nearly the same way on the screen at home. It also usually proves that the bad isn't nearly as bad as it sounds and the good not as good as it sounds. when you compare it to what is said by the die-hards out there!

Jackal... 4 in a row against the bottom dwellers of the league .... cup route is being planned now...:p;)

Well at least were the best of the bottom dwellers, that's a positive.

Well at least were the best of the bottom dwellers, that's a positive.

hahaha... Great game last night...another d man down for us again...man I'm glad we have so many spare d men now...I be thinking Calgary will come out swing tonight.. :)

Pretty hard to take 2 games in a back to back.. down another d-man & at one point down to 4 d man for a while in the first period.... that blue line takes a beating.....

I gotta say, I've been really impressed with the Oilers this season. They have surpassed my expectations for them thus far in the season.

The Canucks are battling hard though and are trending up while L.A, Blues and the Fames are trending down.

they work hard this season. A for effort. Just don't have all the pieces.. not sure if there are able to better then they are now...sure liking the Blue line they are developing.... should be good one a against the hawks...nucks just haven't done well on the road this year..

man that hurts... with less then 2 minutes left... great effort...guess that ice in Chicago really sucks..... :)

Did any of you see Horvat get hit by the puck in the back of the head Friday night. Knocked him flat on his face. He went and got 10 stitches and was back out later in the game. He is a tough guy and works very hard out there.
I think he was the most exciting player on the ice for the Canucks. Scored a beauty against the Hawks last night.

horvat (Small).png

Did any of you see Horvat get hit by the puck in the back of the head Friday night. Knocked him flat on his face. He went and got 10 stitches and was back out later in the game. He is a tough guy and works very hard out there.
I think he was the most exciting player on the ice for the Canucks. Scored a beauty against the Hawks last night.

View attachment 31222
The next Captain

Yep with their feeble firepower they are not going to have a fun February. Much tougher teams that their January schedule.

yup...... a slide will start... they are s till playing hard and putting the effort in...We need a new top- line...twins need either to be broken up or become the second line.... :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back