ixtapa mexico

Teejay

going to ixtapa in febuary and was hoping to do some fishing has anyone got any recommendations for fishing charters in this area and preferred hotels close to the marinas?

I go to Ixtapa in Feb. every year. Ixtapa is about 20 min from Z airport. Fish most days. Sailfish most popular billfish that time year. Late for roosters but usually some jacks still around. Guide use most often is Jamie who captains the Albatross. One of the few partial covered boats.. Usually $225 US for 6 hr day. Start Z marina each day. Taxi from Ixtapa and back. Drop me a pm if you want other info..
IMG_0900.JPG

Killing sailfish that is not eaten is disgusting behavior
In agree 100%. The sail in pic was only one in 3 yrs that died before pic and was given to 3 families where we bought bait from. All rest were pic and release. An excellent eating fish is the sierra (spanish mackerel ). Have had sail marinated and BBQ is good. Don't know where you got idea that sail was killed and wasted??

What would you like to fish for? Offshore Billfish, inshore roosters/jacks??
I/
I'm kinda of a newb. So I guess the time when there is the most action and variety is probably best for me. I'd also be interested to hear what your favorite time is and why as well

I am not about to recommend or get into a debate about BEST time of year for Ixtapa fishin.. its fishin, same as here, weather pattern, moon etc all play a roll. Always exceptions, good days & bad. Most of the tourist fishing is done out of the main Z marina. But also most of the local and commercial fishing is done from there too. The waters are heavily fished. Get away from the crowd..

Sailfish are the main excitement which are migrating fish. Generally an open ocean fish found 5-30 miles from shore. An average day is 2-5 hookups.... Much more fun are the rooster/jacks etc in close with lighter tackle. Maybe 8-10 hookups then. Make sure to make arrangements with your guide, at least the day before, to tell them what you are after; or at least know what is around. That allows your boat to modify their equipment for your better enjoyment. ( fighting a 20 pound rooster fish with equipment designed for 500 pound marlin is hardly called fun.. just because your guide thought otherwise )

the stable weather patterns of Feb. makes for more enjoyable open ocean fishing as open water and me sometimes don't agree!! Ha ha Inshore fishing can be very good in Nov/Dec but weather can be difficult..

Beach fishing , with a casting rod, can be good. Usually early morn. Walk beach, watch for birds, jumping bait... all kinds of strange fish can be caught.. can be a blast.

A guide / & boat will cost you $200-$300US for the day. Most will take up to 3 people so you can split cost.

Pm me if you have any specific questions>>

I/
I'm kinda of a newb. So I guess the time when there is the most action and variety is probably best for me. I'd also be interested to hear what your favorite time is and why as well

One thing to try doing is a search of 'Ixtapa Fishing Calendar'....MANY places around the world where people fish have calendars on some of the local guide's sites. You may have to search for a few but I have found them easily when searching Hawaii, Mexico, Australia and recently Nicaragua.

The calendars generally lay out the better times of the year for particular species.

Thanks Prairie Buoy and Pippen. I talked some friends into going to a lodge south of Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo which is supposed to be away from the crowds. I just have to make sure everyone gets lots of hookups and something different than here. Rooster fishing sounds like fun. Definitely Sailfish

If you have a room with a kitchen, there's nothing wrong with keeping one small billfish. Most species have excellent meat that is easy to cook. We take what we can use and give the rest away to friends, hotel staff, etc. I gave a 6 lb-ish chunk of blue marlin to the front desk lady at our hotel last winter; a couple of days later she told me she used it to feed a big gathering of family and friends - 30 people. The locals don't get a lot of protein so fish is much prized. Typically, your charter skipper will have an arrangement with a local restaurant to buy most of what he boats. This is handy additional income for him, but you can always tip in cash and spread that fish around.

Killing sailfish that is not eaten is disgusting behavior
I was in Zihuatanejo Mex coupla yrs ago... a monstrous sail was up on the wrack and 2 guys getting pics taken. A crowed gathered and the 2 of them soon left due to the disgust of many there deriding these "heroes". They also claimed this stunningly beautiful fish died soon after landing; the typical excuse.

I would venture to say every fish caught on a Mexican charter is consumed. Too many hungry families in Mexico or money to be made by selling the fresh caught fish. Really enjoy Mahi Mahi we harvested in Cabo 2 years ago. Landed 5 nice ones, even after giving over half the fish to the crew we still packed almost 35 pounds back to the resort. We fed our group of 12 and brought dinner to all the on duty employees at the resort. It was much appreciated.. No waste there for sure.. That fish was just as good a salmon or Hali fresh off the BBQ with lime and salsa ..

I was in Zihuatanejo Mex coupla yrs ago... a monstrous sail was up on the wrack and 2 guys getting pics taken. A crowed gathered and the 2 of them soon left due to the disgust of many there deriding these "heroes". They also claimed this stunningly beautiful fish died soon after landing; the typical excuse.
You have no clue how the fish actually perished.
Warm water fish fight a completely different battle than cold water fish and that hot water plays hell on them. Save your judgement for your own situations.

You have no clue how the fish actually perished.
Warm water fish fight a completely different battle than cold water fish and that hot water plays hell on them. Save your judgement for your own situations.

I have 40 years on the west coast of Mexico. "Save your judgement for your own situations." Likewise.

Fish markets in Mexico wherever you see them are plugged stall after stall with everything imaginable previously alive from the ocean. The concept of catch and release is absurb to Mexicans. Dozens of guides I have known over the years will tell you that farmers to do not grow and release; why should we catch and release. What they catch they eat, give to family or sell to restaurants. Most guides will smile and nod their heads to fishing tourists about releasing their catch and when a fish is caught club it and chuck to the back of the boat anyway faking “understanding” about your protest. The exception would be really pricey guides catering to “sportsmen” in big centers. However, perhaps this is all “academic” debate as science tells us extinction of all marine life is well under way. And the fish loving appetite of Mexican population is presently increasing rapidly as is human population everywhere. What we have now as far as a viable living environment complete with recreational fishing is something Disney like to where we are skidding.
news-graphics-2006-_629479a.gif.png

Last edited:
Back