Colquitz poaching

Drop in they have nothing to do with the road , we the ESQUIMALT ANGLERS have a permit to look after the counting fence , we have over 700 coho returns so far , bigger then usual this yr , we check it 4 times a day , found some garden tools hidden to try snagging salmon , so a drive by is. A good thing , thanks

Check out the youtube video of the 'Savages" going wild at the Capilano River. Hunters & gatherers, ya sure. Just down stream from there sporty's released what they caught , only to have these idiots wipe them out . Keepers of the land. Nice job A-Holes!

Might be best to let the streamkeepers look after the locations where the counting fences are installed. Too many people and too much attention can draw in more poachers/vandals.
My 2 cents
The poachers go there because they think nobody is around to watch (observe, record, report) them. If they see more people visiting the site, then they will stop going there. There are way too few streamkeepers and way to many scumbags. Let's even out the numbers.

Your approach is the same one that big timber companies use to keep us out of the bush. "there are too many vandals, so now we don't allow ANYONE in the woods." This is effective only for keeping the law abiding citizens out, since they don't want to break trespass laws. The vanadals and thieve don't care about getting changed with trespass or nuisance. They are sitting by and rubbing their hands together knowing there are less eyes in the bush to watch them. We need more citizen-centric policing in our communities, not less.

I took a walk up Craigflower Sunday from Prior Lake to Marler. Didn't see a single fish in any of the obvious spots. Not a lot of water. I'm sure the next big rain fall there will be quite a show.

The Colquitz is full of coho, swan creek has had fish on the spawning beds for a few weeks, and the main stem has had fish on the spawning beds since early last week. Great work Swan creek volunteers, your spawning beds are making new fish. I heard from a swan creek volunteer, chatting at the spawning bed just north of Mann ave while watching the salmon doing their thing, that just under 1000 fish returned to the system. Don't know anything about the Craigflower creek return this year.

when I talked to Bruce last week the count at Craigflower was over 1300 and 30% of those were marked from some clipping they did 3-4 years ago

when I talked to Bruce last week the count at Craigflower was over 1300 and 30% of those were marked from some clipping they did 3-4 years ago
I thought the fish released were mix from goldstream and shawnigan origin raised at goldstream hatchery. Do they raise there own at Craigflower ? I didn't know Craigflower had active hatchery.

SpringVelocity, as you said they are from those hatcheries. I didn't get into the specifics just that they were clipped fish. Bruce is happy that so many are making it back. No fish were clipped by the Craigflower volunteers.

Last edited:
Thanks to all the volunteers for making this an awesome return! I was at the Colquitz beds (either side of Mann Ave) yesterday and was delighted to see about 50 fish! Though the best, by far, was the sense of wonder in all the childrens' faces. It really makes it all worth while.

Overheard quote of the day came from an older gentleman, about 70: "I guess they have to call it a salmon river now". Yes they do sir. Yes they do.

Way less stinky than Goldstream ;)

Awesome news.

Where is craigflower? I d like to see coho spawning.

It's on the extreme Eastern edge of Thetis Lake Park. A hiking trail runs from a small playground at the end of Marler Dr. off Watkis Way, up to a Highland Rd. trail head near Prior Lake.

Back