2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Spent the long weekend in Renfrew this weekend. Did the run around on the water from Victoria on Friday. Fished no-man's-land (the area nobody ever writes about) between Point No-Point and Jordan River on the way out and picked up 4 springs between 15-20lbs -- great way to start the trip. Saturday we worked East Point for a while and were rewarded during both the morning and afternoon tide changes. In between things were slow. Sunday the fog rolled in thick. East Point had died off considerably. Hooked a commercial crab trap with the downrigger -- fortunately was able to untangle the ball but lost some gear. Worked the beach for a while -- and tried for some Halibut off Carmanah without any success (a few large rockfish however). Today picked up a mid teen and many many smaller fish before we packed it in and headed home.

Other than the fog on Sunday, weather was excellent. Was as flat as it gets with almost no wind. Really like the new Pacific Gateway Marina - fuel, ice, firepit, food, great cleaning tables and some very nice staff.

Coho Killer was working for us as the go-to lure -- green/white, watermelon and purple/white caught all the large fish.

Out today for my last renfrew fish of the season - unless I find time to make the coho derby. Bonked my 2, lost 3 more, saw lots more caught. Went 0/2 on bait, and 2/3 on spoons for those keeping score at home. Mostly teeners but a few bigger fish to be had. Lots of fog out there today, and of course my wiper blade pops off first thing this morning to make visibility even worse! Just one more thing to add to the list for winter...

Anyways, its been a bit of a grind this season but always fun none the less. Wasnt lucky enough to bag a tyee this year but I did come pretty close with a few in the high 20s. A special thanks to my neighbors at the marina and campsite who were all wonderful to deal with this summer. Hope to see you all up there next year!

If anyone needs me Ill be washing gear in Sidney until springtime. :D

Reactions: RBL
Anyone have a coho report?
Lots of boats a bit further out trying their luck. Some guys are catching them out around the 3rd tideline, as well as by the can buoy. I fished springs today so I dont have a firsthand report. Did hear of a few fatty cohos weighed in over the last few days - up to 21#!

Hey advTHXance you keep the cookies coming we'll keep the grilled cheeses coming have a good winter

ps it's not the cookies your all thinking

Great day today at Renfrew. Water was calm, 19, 12, and 5lb cohos. Crab pots were full. Lost one at the net (likely about 10lbs)

Back