2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out this morning from 6-10. Lots of traffic and windy.
Landed a smaller spring and lost one in the teens at the boat.
Saw a few fish being caught around us as well.

Well, waterfront was mayhem at first light this morning. Launched at 545 on the "side side bet" with my partner, and at 6:30, we didnt see a fish hit, we heard our rigger thud against the gunnel and then saw our rods 4th eye hit the water. Fish on, 20 minutes later we boated it. 34.5 pound spring salmon, my tyee virginity gone. Went to the esquimalt anglers to weigh it in and all and returned to the water around 8:30. Put the lines down and 10 minutes later; double header. Landed a 14lber; and lost one around 20 at the boat. There seemed to be an insane bite between 7:30-9am. Amazing day out there that will I never forget.

Attachments

• 14238333_1586581311368653_2063321978668409508_n.jpg
    14238333_1586581311368653_2063321978668409508_n.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 146
@brands51 In a year where there's been much whining about poor fishing, you have managed to put up frequent reports of good days. Two thumbs up, you've got it dialed in.

Thanks for the kind words @Kildonan I started fishing out there when I was 8 or 9, casually for pinks and getting the occasional spring with my grandpa off the waterfront. I was hooked. Got a job at Island Outfitters when I was 16, saved up and got the 14 foot tinner last summer, and have set it up so I work nights and fish mornings. Im out there probably 5 times a week on average so I pound it pretty hard which has for sure helped me in finding the fish. There were trips in July when I went 3 days without any luck out there, but when the Chinooks come into the waterfront at the end of July, theyre there, and if you put in your time you can really do well.

Brands51
Great to hear about young guys getting hooked on fishing. Nice to hear that your grandpa took you out and got you started. Was the big one white? My favorite fish for smoking are whites - not nearly as dry as the reds.
Let some go for me!
Stosh

Last edited:
Awesome Brands! Good to meet you the other day as we were passing. You certainly have had a great summer out there. I've seen your posts here, and also seen you catching on the water. I gotta agree, you are dialed right in...

Beautiful fish.

Got out with Chero and Bag Juan tonight. Chero provided the vessel and Bag Juan nudged us over his favorite hole.

We only had one good hit for the evening and I managed to land this hard fighting 19lb white.

image.jpg

Thanks guys.

Edit: lol shoot didn't notice your 34lbr Brand what a report to follow mine looks like a peanut now. Way to go!

Reactions: Lew
100% Cap/Stave/Cwack/Harrison/ Chehalis white.....great hatchery program.
this is not the only river system - program that produces white springs.
The Breakwater fish are mostly from the net pen program run by the Esquimalt Anglers and their smolts come from the Nitinat
And I know some of the Nitinat fish are white.

That makes me feel better Scott! Although x2 on the congratulations to those picking up fish. Short outings on both Saturday and Sunday to the breakwater and harbour entrance and no movement on the rods. Saw two caught on Saturday but nothing but what looked like a little Coho on Sunday.

Saturday's trip was also a fiasco due to a tank of bad gas. I won't name the gas station on the off chance that it was somehow my fault, but I re-filled my 1/4 full external tank that I had been running on without problems earlier in the week. Headed out, started trolling, and engine dies. Check the Racor, full of water, check the fuel tank, cloudy gas with water in the bottom. Drain out the water from the racor, cut the tank connector of my gas line and stick it into a small jerry of clean gas that I was fortunate to have on board. Engine started up and I was able to get back to the launch, pull the boat, get another external tank filled and head back out.

Unless someone is putting water in my gas in my driveway I cannot see how this happened unless the gas from the station was bad?

According to the scientists, it's genetics. Some Chinook cannot metabolize certain pigments. So if that's true, whites might come from various systems. All I know is, I prefer whites for smoking/canning.
Stosh

It is good to see some fish are finally coming through (or attempting to). Anyone trying Oak Bay Flats? I heard rumours of a kayak fisher doing well kelp-side around the OB area.

One 7 lb spring for me on the waterfront this morning. Much less chaos, but still counted 30 boats. Nice calm water and no fog. Good day.

I don't think Tules from the Columbia are the same as the white Chinooks we treasure in B.C. And Alaska ( often referred to as Ivory).
IMHO
Stosh

Best thing to do with a Tule from the lower Columbia is release it. The best thing to do with a Fraser bound white is release it to me so I can dispose of it properly:cool:.

Upper fraser stock white spring is one of the tastiest fish out there!!!!!!
Tules have the same tablefare as our Harrison white stock......gross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back