Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2016....

What is the best tide condition for Tyee Pool fishing? Evening high slack?

What is the best tide condition for Tyee Pool fishing? Evening high slack?

I'd guess many elite rowers like the flood about an hour after it starts as they target a small space at the end of the bar off the river-mouth and dangle spoons where they hope the Tyee are holding against the bar. If you watch the rowboats you'll notice a small tightly grouped gang in almost a semi-circle around the spot and you need to know what you are doing in order to join them.
Amateurs are not welcomed warmly so I leave it to the old guard who have paid their dues and know their marks really well. But I watch, and someday........

In reality fish are taken on every stage of tide but as is usual the first light AM crew and the last light PM crew joust for hook-up bragging rights with the AM crew slightly ahead right now.

And, having said that, we have our third Tyee of the season although I thought we had been lied to when I looked at the board this morning.

The numbers hadn't changed at all and even the number 34 representing the last fish registered still had the piece of bird poop on it that's been there since the 17th, so we thought nothing had changed.

We were wrong though, as another 34 was weighed in this AM, caught right in front of the clubhouse.

So we now have three Tyee registered here and we're all still hopeful some of the southern holding fish may be starting to move toward the pool soon. They seem to be catching a fair number of Tyee south of us right now with at least 11 off the fishing pier and many more by the motor-boat gang fishing the old Forestry Pool area.

Some old-timers here may recall my old pal and trusty rower CC who used to row me before I got my own boat, well, he's been fishing solo this year and has boated two unders and lost another unknown sized one this morning I'm told.

He's "fishy" for sure and I'm tempted to have him row me again so I'll have another shot at joining the club myself. :D

Anyway, D Crockett has left the premises, fishless again but there's always next time.

I'll try again tonight with another couple of my favorite rod-holders who WILL catch a fish with me one day I'm convinced.

I hope.

Take care.

I'd guess many elite rowers like the flood about an hour after it starts as they target a small space at the end of the bar off the river-mouth and dangle spoons where they hope the Tyee are holding against the bar. If you watch the rowboats you'll notice a small tightly grouped gang in almost a semi-circle around the spot and you need to know what you are doing in order to join them.
Amateurs are not welcomed warmly so I leave it to the old guard who have paid their dues and know their marks really well. But I watch, and someday........

In reality fish are taken on every stage of tide but as is usual the first light AM crew and the last light PM crew joust for hook-up bragging rights with the AM crew slightly ahead right now.

And, having said that, we have our third Tyee of the season although I thought we had been lied to when I looked at the board this morning.

The numbers hadn't changed at all and even the number 34 representing the last fish registered still had the piece of bird poop on it that's been there since the 17th, so we thought nothing had changed.

We were wrong though, as another 34 was weighed in this AM, caught right in front of the clubhouse.

So we now have three Tyee registered here and we're all still hopeful some of the southern holding fish may be starting to move toward the pool soon. They seem to be catching a fair number of Tyee south of us right now with at least 11 off the fishing pier and many more by the motor-boat gang fishing the old Forestry Pool area.

Some old-timers here may recall my old pal and trusty rower CC who used to row me before I got my own boat, well, he's been fishing solo this year and has boated two unders and lost another unknown sized one this morning I'm told.

He's "fishy" for sure and I'm tempted to have him row me again so I'll have another shot at joining the club myself. :D

Anyway, D Crockett has left the premises, fishless again but there's always next time.

I'll try again tonight with another couple of my favorite rod-holders who WILL catch a fish with me one day I'm convinced.

I hope.

Take care.

I am convinced too Dave! Maybe tonight, the fish are around, so it sounds hopeful!

See you at 6:30

Happened to click on the tyee club webcam this morning at 8 am. Looked like one at the cleaning table and another being hauled up the beach.

Did they make the weight?

Happened to click on the tyee club webcam this morning at 8 am. Looked like one at the cleaning table and another being hauled up the beach.

Did they make the weight?

Nope.

Had a 29 1/2 earlier I'm told along with a few more unders.

Fingers crossed time now.

Take care.

Nope.

Had a 29 1/2 earlier I'm told along with a few more unders.

Fingers crossed time now.

Take care.

29 1/2 , now wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake after a long, long wait...........

Best of luck tonight Dave !

We heard that yell of FISH ON all the way in Comox.....

Well, you don't want to keep these things quiet when they happen you know. :D

Owen's claiming superior rod-holding skills as the reason we got our fish tonight.

He might be on to something. LOL

Really strong fighter too with one really good jump and a couple of good runs before some close-in scrapping that involved spinning the rowboat to keep the fish from running under us a couple of times.

Tricky little rascal.

So now I've got to clean the boat out tomorrow so Teal and Co. can slime it up tomorrow night.

I hope.

Saw the fourth Tyee of the year weighed in tonight. Didn't get the woman's name but she was one happy lady.

Weirdly, the four Tyee now registered consist of two at 34 pounds and two at 34 1/2 pounds.

Anyway, I'll have some pics up soon and I'm stoked some new fish have arrived in the pool.

Looking forward to tomorrow and another new rod-holder combo.

Take care.

Congrats Dave...glad to hear you got the boat slimy!

Thanks.

Any chance you can come out again?

Let me know.

Take care.

I was considering it earlier, but we moved this summer and I have unfortunately run out of time for this year. I am going to mark it on my calendar to make it happen next year. My time on the water with you and the rest of the fleet is one of my favourite fishing moments of all time! The uniqueness of the fishery and the history of the Tyee Club make it a special experience and I can only imagine the rush one must get when the rod you are holding takes that hard dip and you set the hook. I can only hope that one day I will hook and land one of those magnificent Tyees!

I hope you have a great finish to the season and thanks again for allowing those of us who don't get to participate on a regular basis to live vicariously through your thread and posts.

Cheers,

Brian

A pic from my last visit of you readying your classic beauty for action.

Dave.jpg

Well, you don't want to keep these things quiet when they happen you know. :D

Owen's claiming superior rod-holding skills as the reason we got our fish tonight.

He might be on to something. LOL

Really strong fighter too with one really good jump and a couple of good runs before some close-in scrapping that involved spinning the rowboat to keep the fish from running under us a couple of times.

Tricky little rascal.

So now I've got to clean the boat out tomorrow so Teal and Co. can slime it up tomorrow night.

I hope.

Saw the fourth Tyee of the year weighed in tonight. Didn't get the woman's name but she was one happy lady.

Weirdly, the four Tyee now registered consist of two at 34 pounds and two at 34 1/2 pounds.

Anyway, I'll have some pics up soon and I'm stoked some new fish have arrived in the pool.

Looking forward to tomorrow and another new rod-holder combo.

Take care.
That Owen is a fish assassin!! LOL

Raining steady here now compared to the off and on showers we've been having and a light SE breeze is riffling things a bit.

20 boats out this morning but no new Tyee.

Three unders with one being 28 plus, which is always maddening and/or disappointing.

So close!!

Next time.

Take care.

Here's a pic of the latest Tyee from last night.

Caught by Shamra McClelland rowed by Rick Hakinen and on a spoon.

Well done.

And here's our little one from last night. It was brighter than it looks here and really fought well. Doesn't look big but at 37 inches the 25 pounds was right on the mark.

Take care.

Congrats on the fish Dave! Not a tyee but a beauty none the less. Countdown is on for me i cant wait. Only 6 more sleeps haha. Good luck tonight and see you soon

Last edited:
I'm well set up when it comes to bailing out my boat after it rains as I have a 12V bilge pump modified to accommodate my boat, a 12V battery plus a hand pump for finishing off that last little bit.

So, I really don't mind bailing it out, which is what I did about an hour ago.

What I DO mind are unexpected thunder and lightning storms complete with torrential downpours such as the one that commenced about five minutes after I got home from bailing out the boat.

Timing IS everything I guess. LOL

Think I'll wait a bit before bailing it again though.

Just in case.

Take care.

HOT OFF THE PHONE!!!

Randy Killoran, the hardest working rower IMHO just rowed a daily double.

Weighmaster Bob just called and this is what he said:

"Randy just rowed Dale Kashuba to a 30 1/2 pound Tyee."

"Alright," I replied.

Bob responded: "And then Randy rowed Dale to a 30 1/2 pound Tyee."

"You said that," I replied.

Then the light-bulb went on.

"He rowed two Tyee?" I enquired.

Yep, rowed two in an hour Bob told me, which is very encouraging indeed as I'll be out in a few hours myself with a couple of rod-holders.

In the meantime, it's a big WELL DONE to Randy and Dale and the best thing is we won't have to compete with them tonight either. LOL

Take care.

Back