Trim motor out when mooring or not?

leftcoast

I'm sure this topic has come up many times before I see it's 50/50 in my harbor. What are the pro's and con's?

I've heard that Zincs last longer trimmed up because they are out of the water and not working. If any bit of your motor is in the salt while the zincs are out its your motor that will corrode.

I agree with Craven for the most part except when it is below freezing. I leave the outboard down because water will freeze inside your plastic water exhaust outlets and crack them when up.

beemer

I did a quick Google search on this topic for sterndrives and was surprised to see that the consensus was to leave the leg down, unless expecting freezing temperatures.

I have left mine down while in the water...but I do haul out once a month to clean the hull, change kicker oil, lube the pivot points on both engines and scrub the zincs. The motor is a 1997 and 20 yeas old next year..no corrosion inside or outside the leg. Obviously if the boat only comes out of the water once a year then barnacles would be an issue. By raising the leg and pulling the zincs out of the water they will crust over and will become less effective when back in the water. By leaving it down the leg is also not a big target for some poor boat handler to smack into and damaging or breaking it. For me it stays down

I have left mine down while in the water...but I do haul out once a month to clean the hull, change kicker oil, lube the pivot points on both engines and scrub the zincs. The motor is a 1997 and 20 yeas old next year..no corrosion inside or outside the leg. Obviously if the boat only comes out of the water once a year then barnacles would be an issue. By raising the leg and pulling the zincs out of the water they will crust over and will become less effective when back in the water. By leaving it down the leg is also not a big target for some poor boat handler to smack into and damaging or breaking it. For me it stays down

Good to know. Thanks for the information. I also pull mine out monthly so no issues on cleaning. My slip is large so not worried about poor boating skills since I sit in protected. The main reason I ask is I was worried if I was damaging the motor at all by trimming up since I did see a little oil slobber in the engine well. My mechanic said no big deal but better to store in the down position. Good to know after 20 years no issues with your leg that's the information I needed.

I've never understood the argument, "your zincs will last longer". Consuming zincs is a good thing. It means nothing more important is being consumed. For me, if ANY part of the motor is in the water (which it always is) then I want all the zincs in the water as well. But that's just my $.02

I've never understood the argument, "your zincs will last longer". Consuming zincs is a good thing. It means nothing more important is being consumed. For me, if ANY part of the motor is in the water (which it always is) then I want all the zincs in the water as well. But that's just my $.02
Ditto - Zinc's are cheap insurance.

Zincs are called sacrificial anodes for a reason.

Back