Fishing in the Sechelt Inlet Sunshine Coast

P

paulb

Hi everyone

I will be visiting the beautifull Sechelt Inlet in late august and would love to get some fishing in. I have never being to this part of Canada before (origionaly from Ireland) I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on what licence I would need, where to get bait and which fish would be best to target. I would be spending most of my time fishing from the shore or close to the shore in a canoe.

Thanking you in advance
Paul

In late August I think you should target returning Coho which will be making their way to Porpoise Bay. You"ll need a spinning rod and your choice of buzzbombs, blue fox's and rooster tails (I like the orange and lime green colours). Fishing for these coho is usually a first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening deal but not all the time. You can fish them from shore at Porpoise Bay, Snake bay and areas near to those locations but this requires being where the fish are which is the tricky part. The key is to look for jumpers which will indicate where the schools of fish are. Your canoe will be a huge help because then you can track down a school and follow them if need be. You'll need a saltwater (tidal) fishing license with a salmon stamp. Unless things have changed the only real tackle store is Source for Sports by the mall in Sechelt. If you want to hire a guide for a day to really figure out what you're doing, I would highly recommend Bob Dixon at Davis Bay Sportfishing, he is a very good fisherman. Good luck.

The Inlet is Touch fishing... but right across the street you have Selma Park, boat launch and Davis Bay.... which would be a better choice... As hambone said, when the coho return to Native Hatchery in Sept, Rooster Tails are a good bet... casted off your boat... sounds goofy but will produce... some coho and chum's..
Bob's great.. he'll share his info with you...

Hi, just resurrecting this thread as I too am headed there next weekend and was hoping I could get my 9 year old her first salmon. We have a canoe out of Tuwanek and were thinking some gentle mooching around Grey Creek and some wader based jigging and the like for Coho at Porpoise Bay. I'll swing by Source for Sports, but does anyone have any other pointers? Thanks in advance!

I would skip Grey Creek and mooch the outside of the islands. Hambone has good advice for the Porpoise Bay fish.

I'd skip the Inlet & go between Trail Island & Sargent Bay. Btw, Bob Dixon retired a couple of years ago.

Thanks - no joy on the mooching, and didn't see any sign of any fish. Was a beautiful morning for it though - time well spent none the less.

Also, I'm back around 8th October - does anyone know if there would there still be coho in Chapman Creek and where one should try - above or below the bridge?

Stop in at the chapman hatchery and ask around, maybe even fish there. It will all depend on how much rain we get.

Stop in at the chapman hatchery and ask around, maybe even fish there. It will all depend on how much rain we get.

Will do hambone. I took the family there on Thursday and they had a blast (even the missus) - we are all paid up members now. Wish I was around more often to volunteer a bit.

Chapman Creek is currently closed to fishing due to low water levels but may be open by October if we get enough rain. As HB suggested, best to check with the hatchery. Coho do come into the creek as late as October...just depends on the conditions.

Back